Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

We'll see what happens for next year. I think this could be a little more wild of an off season than we think.

Looking at it now, IUP needs faster more athletic big men to compete with the MEC/Sleva. Love Driz but he just wasn't athletic enough to hang. Danielak needs to play more of the 3/4 spot next season. I'm not really sure what's up with those guys on the bench this season. Past the 8 that played are the rest any good??? Watching those guys warm up all year, all I ever saw them do is dunk. That doesn't tell me much about their REAL game.

Comment

Milo Luciano is the one with the most upside. He could have played this year. His game, from what I'm told, is very similar to Dante's.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        We'll see what happens for next year. I think this could be a little more wild of an off season than we think.

Looking at it now, IUP needs faster more athletic big men to compete with the MEC/Sleva. Love Driz but he just wasn't athletic enough to hang. Danielak needs to play more of the 3/4 spot next season. I'm not really sure what's up with those guys on the bench this season. Past the 8 that played are the rest any good??? Watching those guys warm up all year, all I ever saw them do is dunk. That doesn't tell me much about their REAL game.
        Did anyone else hear the interview where Joe talked about Amir Hinton and how it would be hard for LHU to keep him / hmmmm.

Comment

I did ... he stopped himself short before finishing the sentence.

I caught that immediately. In that same interview he called Hinton the best player in the whole PSAC.

I remember that night posting something about it on here asking if anybody else caught the interview but didn't go any further with it.

You could have a Brandon Norfleet Part 2 situation developing .. never know.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-13-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            I did ... he stopped himself short before finishing the sentence.

I caught that immediately. In that same interview he called Hinton the best player in the whole PSAC.

I remember that night posting something about it on here asking if anybody else caught the interview but didn't go any further with it.

You could have a Brandon Norfleet Part 2 situation developing .. never know.
            Would he have to sit out a year because in conference transfer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post

I believe he would have to sit out a semester. So he wouldn't be able to play until January. When Norfleet transferred he didn't play until January because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                No

Comment

I'm not sure that's exactly what Joe was implying. He could have also meant Hinton could be going D1. I don't know all the details of how LH landed him. It was just a strange comment and he noticeably caught himself and changed the topic.

Didn't Norfleet have to sit out the first semester?

Comment

I think a losing school can restrict were a player can and can not transfer to if they so chose. It is a common occurrence at the D1 level. Don't no if a DII could restrict one of it's players from transferring to a D1.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      I think a losing school can restrict were a player can and can not transfer to if they so chose. It is a common occurrence at the D1 level. Don't no if a DII could restrict one of it's players from transferring to a D1.
                      I haven't heard of any such instances in D2, though that's not to say that it can't happen.
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

IUP and Gannon again led the PSAC in attendance this year -- although IUP's average gate of 1,401 was nearly double Gannon's average of 712. For comparison, these two schools are far and away ahead of the other 16 conference members in attendance. IUP got a real big boost over the last 4-5 home games -- with Clarion oddly enough drawing almost 2,500 on a cold Wednesday night. Somewhat strangely the Field House game also drew a nice number again this year. It could be 'opening night' excitement or people actually like watching games over there as a novelty once a year. IUP's home average is still putting the KCAC at just 35 percent occupancy. Granted, giving the students 7 weeks off for winter break is not helping these numbers.

Five-year trend:

YEAR IUP GANNON
                        2016-17 1,401 712
                        2015-16 1,363 763
                        2014-15 1,330 1,134
                        2013-14 2,090 963
                        2012-13 1,586 1,080

My 'wish list' for the KCAC:

* Make only the benches side reserved. Let the students have Rows 1-2 across the court and the rest is general admission. Create an opposing atmosphere.
                        * Making Rows 3 and up on that side all general admission will bring the crowd closer to the court and condense it -- and avoid having 1,400 spread out over 4,000 seats.
                        * Spice up the player introductions. They are very boring. Dim the lights. Play some loud music. Make it exciting. The KCAC has the technology to do this yet treats the intros like 1985. At D1 games that is one of the most exciting parts of the night.
                        * Find an announcer with some energy, enthusiasm and excitement. Listen to D1 games.
                        * Ticket, food and beer prices are out of control. Offer family plans. Something.
                        * With the students gone for 7 weeks -- and with now having some big games played during that stretch -- do anything possible to get bodies in to the building. Even $1 tickets. Then they can buy your famous $5 hot dogs, etc. Playing Gannon at home in front of 800 people on Dec. 29 .... goodness.
                        * If they insist on employing 15 ushers have them actually check tickets. I'd guess in more than 90% of home games this year I had to tell people to move from my seats.
                        * If anything else one option would be to make the lower bowl reserved and the rest of the building general admission (and the general admission shouldn't cost the same as the reserved). I'd guess they have about 900 regulars who will be there whether it's over break, on a Sunday or at 3 a.m.

While the KCAC is a great venue, the game-day environment and atmosphere is largely geared toward the older generation. Spice it up and the students will come. They make all the noise and make it a festive environment. Once the games become 'events' ... everything changes.

Comment

Does anyone have a list of coaches to replace joe. He isn't gone yet but thinking of his replacement is reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                            Does anyone have a list of coaches to replace joe. He isn't gone yet but thinking of his replacement is reasonable.
                            First phone call made is to Shippensburg. If Fite turns them down open it up, cast a wide net. I'd have to think about specific names but this is a very attractive D2 job.

Comment

IF ... and until it's a signed contract ... it's still IF it happens:

IUP will go after Chris Fite full speed with a big offer. He'll be Target Number One from the outset. Now, would Fite walk away from a program he built from scratch and that will be completely loaded next season? Hard to say. Money talks. He's done incredible at Ship. Can he sustain it with limited resources? That's the big question. He's not going to find a Dustin Sleva every year. IUP would be very attractive to just about any D2 coach -- facilities, money, campus, town, etc.

Beyond him ... hard to say. For just about every coach in the PSAC, MEC, etc., this would be a huge pay raise. They won't have trouble getting a slew of top-level applicants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post

Let's not cross this bridge yet. Please.

But throw everything you have at Chris Fite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X