X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    What would the scenario have to be to be eligible mid year?
    IUP went through something similar 3-4 years ago. It was heavily rumored Syracuse cast-off Gino Thorpe (from Pittsburgh) wanted to come to IUP after leaving the Orange in early November. He'd have had one semester left of eligibility.

It never happened. Word was Joe ultimately said no. But ... That's the type of player he'd look to add. It's rare but it does happen. There actually is a waiver wire (essentially) of guys looking for one last dance.

Ideally they'd find a big body looking for a last chance -- somebody OK with limited minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied
    What would the scenario have to be to be eligible mid year?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Mid year transfer...eligible to play immediately?
    They would only sign one if eligible immediately.

This would be a depth guy ... Likely not a star.

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied
    Mid year transfer...eligible to play immediately?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Joe is stubborn with those redshirt players. Deep down we all knew he wouldn't dress him. Shawndale certainly isn't a power forward but his aggressive style is going to force him to that now. I think Ulrich needs game action to get him jelling in the system. He's huge with skill, get him some minutes. Porterfield will be a star. He's such a smart player with skill. Next year and the year after as he gets stronger, look out. Anthony White deserves minutes! The three guard trio will have a different stat leader every game. Love that balance! Benton, UGH! Still not a fan but maybe he'll grow on me.
    I was told at the game a mid-year transfer is a real possibility.

It happens. Now, who is sitting out there ... That's for them to find. But, for a variety of reasons, there are players available.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-24-2019, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Joe is stubborn with those redshirt players. Deep down we all knew he wouldn't dress him. Shawndale certainly isn't a power forward but his aggressive style is going to force him to that now. I think Ulrich needs game action to get him jelling in the system. He's huge with skill, get him some minutes. Porterfield will be a star. He's such a smart player with skill. Next year and the year after as he gets stronger, look out. Anthony White deserves minutes! The three guard trio will have a different stat leader every game. Love that balance! Benton, UGH! Still not a fan but maybe he'll grow on me.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

So what did you think of the new rotation ? from looking at the stats looks like Porterfield had a good game. Maybe he will grow up fast ? ? Through in the 4 guard lineup, and it might not be as bad as first thought.

ESU was a good adjustment game for them. I say that because IUP's guards are very, very good (elite ... I'll use that word). And, ESU doesn't really have much under the basket. So, it was a good transition game. The vaunted ESU press was no match. They got their first TO with 3 minutes left in the game (and Armoni called a timeout they didn't give him). ESU should have come out of that press at halftime.

Porterfield played really well. He's Joe's next star post player ... but likely in a year or two. Shawndale went for 13 points and 10 boards -- the best 6'3", 220 lb (newly appointed) power forward in the country. He's a beast under the basket. Tort would love him at linebacker.

Anthony White had a huge game. He's a baller and has good size at 6'2". Incredible athlete.

Ulrich is obviously a work in progress but he is a really big body and makes things happen (on purpose or not).

The obvious disappointment in my eyes is this team was on pace to be incredible by Jan-Feb. I think this team would have smoked last year's team. Demo was one of the best players Joe has ever had here. He's never had a tenacious rebounder at 6'8" with point guard skills and who could shoot the trey.

Just pray they can stay healthy. I don't see any deep March run but they will be a tough out even without Demo. I don't know ESU history but I can't imagine they've taken many beatings like the one they took today.

Ousmane Diop was not dressed today. Many thought the Demo injury would force Joe to burn his redshirt.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Final

IUP 80
    East Stroudsburg 56
    So what did you think of the new rotation ? from looking at the stats looks like Porterfield had a good game. Maybe he will grow up fast ? ? Through in the 4 guard lineup, and it might not be as bad as first thought.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Final

IUP 80
    East Stroudsburg 56

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied
    Jack:

"What appears to be a season-ending knee injury ..."

Oh no ... feel awful for the kid, the team, and the fans.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Jack:

"What appears to be a season-ending knee injury ..."

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

What a sh*t day for IUP athletics. Joe rarely changes his plans, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just goes with the rotation he has.
    Ulrich is a big body but he's a classic Gary Edwards hack banger. He's gonna have to dress Diop. No choice.

But ... As you say ... He won't

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Not a doctor so I don't know Demo's status but I'm guessing it's not good. Best case is a sprained knee.

That's about as much of a disaster as possible.

I'll be curious if Ousmane Diop is no longer a redshirt as of tomorrow.
    What a sh*t day for IUP athletics. Joe rarely changes his plans, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just goes with the rotation he has.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    I sure hope Diop becomes active. Ulrich is a hack and no way he can fill the Demo role. Losing Demo is a season killer.
    If he's done for the year .... game over.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    I sure hope Diop becomes active. Ulrich is a hack and no way he can fill the Demo role. Losing Demo is a season killer.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X