Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'd love to see Pitt this year in men's basketball but unfortunately they aren't playing. The women are playing an exhibition at Pitt. IUP isnt playing any D1 games this year due to the opening (early) weekend in Evansville.

Pitt may be historically bad this year. The Pitt men are playing UPJ. Pitt will be incredibly young. Who knows, I guess.

I'd probably agree with the games. I do think it's a really neat experience for the players, though. Playing at the Carrier Dome was probably something IUP's players will never forget. Watch Jim Boeheim's press conference after the IUP game last year. He pretty much said a lot of what you guys are saying. He said his 7-footers will never have to go out and cover 6'6" post players beyond the arc. It was still neat to watch. Syracuse actually struggled big time in the first 15 minutes of that game. IUP was up 29-12. Then the Orange got annoyed.

Playing Villanova last year ... again ... neat experience but you're talking NBA guys and the defending D1 national champion. That's probably a bit much for any D2 team to handle.
    My bad on the Pitt game. That Evansville tournament is very strong. Findlay is supposed to be good. Findlay with their previous coach beat Ohio State in 2007, 16 months before they won the national title. Great coach. Assistant replaced him.

Comment

Findlay is an incredibly tough opener. It should be a great match-up. The majority of its roster is back this year from a strong team a year ago.

This is going to be a bigger team, size-wise, for IUP than what Joe's had in several years. It's going to be interesting to see what lineup combinations he puts on the floor.

They needed to get faster and more physical under the basket. Dom Keyes (6'9") and Willem Brandwijk (6'10") should be a great compliment to Cobo -- and really free him up some. Keyes is a bigger version of Tevin Hanner -- kind of the dirty work guy but also an elite shot blocker. Brandwijk is supposed to be an athletic monster but he had some trouble staying healthy at Sienna. He can shoot and play rough.

To get out of the Regional this year you're going to have to deal with an even bigger/better Sleva than last year. Hopefully these two can help deal with him (if they eventually get to play either in the PSAC Final or in the Regionals).

Even though that first game went to overtime last year, you could really see the way IUP was built last year they were just too slow under the basket to play with a team like Fairmont (and Sleva). That's why these two are here now. Both have two years of eligibility.

Comment

Findlay is an incredibly tough opener. It should be a great match-up. The majority of its roster is back this year from a strong team a year ago.

This is going to be a bigger team, size-wise, for IUP than what Joe's had in several years. It's going to be interesting to see what lineup combinations he puts on the floor.

They needed to get faster and more physical under the basket. Dom Keyes (6'9") and Willem Brandwijk (6'10") should be a great compliment to Cobo -- and really free him up some. Keyes is a bigger version of Tevin Hanner -- kind of the dirty work guy but also an elite shot blocker. Brandwijk is supposed to be an athletic monster but he had some trouble staying healthy at Sienna. He can shoot and play rough.

To get out of the Regional this year you're going to have to deal with an even bigger/better Sleva than last year. Hopefully these two can help deal with him (if they eventually get to play either in the PSAC Final or in the Regionals).

Even though that first game went to overtime last year, you could really see the way IUP was built last year they were just too slow under the basket to play with a team like Fairmont (and Sleva). That's why these two are here now. Both have two years of eligibility.
        From your description iup is the profile of a team that will give wlu and everyone else big problems. Great coach, disciplined players, and great size. Wlu has no experienced players over 6-5. Puts added pressure on hitting 3s and forcing turnovers and denying pass inside and blocking out.
        This could be iup's year.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          I have been studying about fallacies in inductive arguments. The media inundates us with fallacious arguments.
          I am not trying to beat you up, but your argument regarding the reason for Crutch leaving WLU has a non sequitur (conclusion does not follow from premises) fallacy.
          Premises:
          1. Crutch went 28-4 at WLU in 2016-17, which is about his 12 year average (#1 in NCAA in winning % with >= 10 yrs experience)
          2. Nova won 6 games last year and had only 3 wins in conference.

Conclusion: Crutch left WLU and ran to Nova because he was tired to losing to conference schools.

The conclusion (He left for Nova SE because he was tired of losing conference games) does not follow from the premises. Who would go to conference doormat from West Lib who won the conference tournament?

The SSC had the national champion 3 or 4 years ago in FLorida Southern.
          I can't speak for Crutch, but I know why I would leave West Lib or IUP for that matter to Nova SE

1. Incredible campus and facilities. They just got a 32x12 foot jumbotron
          3. West Lib like academics - Average GPA for all athletes (not just basketball) was 3.32.
          4. $100M endowment
          5. Strong Foreign student presence - Two from Sweden are on the basketball team - that may be source of talented big men for Crutch's system.
          6. He wanted a new challenge at this stage of his career.
          7. Access to 7 Million people in the greater Miami area

With these recruiting advantages Nova SE could be a sleeping giant under Crutch and could obtain the talent and environment to make a serious national title run in 2 yrs.

I think both Crutch and Lombardi are outstanding coaches. It is a pleasure to watch them in action. IMHO, there are advantages to both in not playing in the regular season. The primary one is not to give each other experience prior to the regional game.
          I don't think it is relevant that WLU handed Fairmont its only 2 losses (and lost a late lead at Fairmont in the other meeting) prior to the national title game and IUP lost to FSU. It is all about match-ups and the style of play. So I don't subscribe to the who ducked whom discussion.
          However, I don't understand why a D1 school won't play West Lib when they will play IUP, Wheeling Jesuit, Glenville, and others. Crutch has been wanting a game with WVU. I thought this was going to be the year, but there were likely scheduling issues. Clearly it would be a long shot for West Lib to hang with a major D1 for the entire game.
          Have you tried studying reading comprehension, because that may have been helpful. I never said Crutch left because he was tired of losing to MEC schools. I inferred that because an MEC school finally rose up and beat him in the regional and that another won the regional, Crutch saw that his free pass to 30+ wins and a birth in the regional final might be running out so he got outta dodge. It was an exaggerated, mostly tongue in cheek comeback to boatcapt, who I enjoy occasionally going back and forth with.

But hey, nice try at sounding intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
            Have you tried studying reading comprehension, because that may have been helpful. I never said Crutch left because he was tired of losing to MEC schools. I inferred that because an MEC school finally rose up and beat him in the regional and that another won the regional, Crutch saw that his free pass to 30+ wins and a birth in the regional final might be running out so he got outta dodge. It was an exaggerated, mostly tongue in cheek comeback to boatcapt, who I enjoy occasionally going back and forth with.

But hey, nice try at sounding intelligent.
            Did not realize it was tongue in cheek exaggeration. i should have let it go, especially when Chuck Norris said it. Please don't hold it against me. Life is too short.

Comment

I'd love to see Pitt this year in men's basketball but unfortunately they aren't playing. The women are playing an exhibition at Pitt. IUP isnt playing any D1 games this year due to the opening (early) weekend in Evansville.

Pitt may be historically bad this year. The Pitt men are playing UPJ. Pitt will be incredibly young. Who knows, I guess.

I'd probably agree with the games. I do think it's a really neat experience for the players, though. Playing at the Carrier Dome was probably something IUP's players will never forget. Watch Jim Boeheim's press conference after the IUP game last year. He pretty much said a lot of what you guys are saying. He said his 7-footers will never have to go out and cover 6'6" post players beyond the arc. It was still neat to watch. Syracuse actually struggled big time in the first 15 minutes of that game. IUP was up 29-12. Then the Orange got annoyed.

Playing Villanova last year ... again ... neat experience but you're talking NBA guys and the defending D1 national champion. That's probably a bit much for any D2 team to handle.
              Kind of like playing one-on-one with your big brother in front of his friends and you sink the first three outside shots. His friends start woofing at him, he get's annoyed and starts schooling you on what REAL basketball looks like! Like a cat playing with a mouse...mouse thinks he has a chance of getting away...STUPID mouse doesn't realize he's already dead.

Comment

Boat: It took a long time but I'm glad to see we've finally brought you over to the good side of this message board. I always thought you were a hidden Joe fan.

Chuck Norris fired up in August ... I like it. Big things this year.

Comment

Boat: It took a long time but I'm glad to see we've finally brought you over to the good side of this message board. I always thought you were a hidden Joe fan.

Chuck Norris fired up in August ... I like it. Big things this year.
                  Hahahaha!!!! Let's not go overboard!! Don't have to "like" someone to acknowledge their success.

Comment

LOL .... any time you wanna come up I'll get you courtside at the KCAC.

Comment

Jesse Huff, a reserve guard from last year, has joined the team at (D2) Saint Leo (FL).

Comment

Iup men's roster is up. Jalen vaughns is on it. He is a player that was supposed to play at st Francis according to verbal commits. Impressive new players to add to an all ready talented group.

Comment

I noticed some subtraction. Milo Luciano is off the roster but still enrolled. Jeremiah Nkumsah and Jake (walk-on) also gone.

Wow ... that Jalen Vaughns came out of nowhere.

I see they added a local from Marion Center. He's listed as a junior. Wonder where's he's been playing previously? Nice size guard.

That's a nice looking roster. Very good blend.

Comment

Further look in to Vaughn ... St. Francis included him in the press release announcing its 2017 signing class. Obviously they don't usually do that until the paper is signed. Wonder what the story there is .... anyway looks like a big get for Bravado Joe. He has quite a high school and AAU resume. High flyer for sure.

Comment

I'm looking at that roster and the combinations are endless. Joe usually only goes 7/8 deep but he's got some stallions there. Very deep at guard. What's this mean for guys like Malik Miller who played a lot last year. Armoni Foster who was second best player in District 10 last year. Jalen Vaughn... potential stud. YIKES!!! Lombardi, Glover, wow!!! Almost forgot Hutton. This might be the deepest roster since Daryl Webb and the boys made their championship game run. I'm excited!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                I noticed some subtraction. Milo Luciano is off the roster but still enrolled. Jeremiah Nkumsah and Jake (walk-on) also gone.

Wow ... that Jalen Vaughns came out of nowhere.

I see they added a local from Marion Center. He's listed as a junior. Wonder where's he's been playing previously? Nice size guard.

That's a nice looking roster. Very good blend.
                                Todd's a nice player.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X