Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate that.

My only time in the KCAC this fall has been The Beach Boys concert in November. Fantastic!

I can't really say that I have followed or even read up too much on the IUP hoops teams to be honest. I guess everybody was tuned into the football team's nice run.

Interesting about Dante's knee injury. I thought it was sheer madness to have him play so quickly after the initial surgery. I hurt my knee rather badly in March and gave it a month and a half to heal before getting back to doing any hiking. Well, mid-April came and I took a four or five mile hike. Didn't feel too bad....until the next day. Down for another month and a half. It takes time for those things to heal. But I guess Bravado Joe wanted to see what he had on it before he needed to make a decision on shutting him down for the redshirt. My best advice would be just to stay off of it and get the redshirt year. It could take several months to heal properly, more if you don't treat it properly.

BTW---How much are GA tickets into the KCAC this year for the cheap seats? I'd be afraid to even inquire.

Comment

Not sure on the general admission tickets. If you buy them at the door I think it's $8 plus the whatever fee so it comes out to about $11 or so. Attendance tanked for the first five home dates ... averaged about (an announced) 750 per game (down about 40 percent from the first five games last season).

They were mostly all exciting games. The Virginia State loss came down to the wire. Bloomsburg (OT) and Lock Haven were won at the wire. Urbana and The Sciences were blowout wins.

Two of the best home games of the whole year are over break -- and on a Monday and Tuesday night.

I agree with you on Dante. I admire the courage and effort but that's just the one position you can't play at 60 percent health -- and it surely didn't help matters. I'd like to see him officially shut down and not risk the medical red-shirt. That way he gets two more healthy years in the program and can grab a year of grad school while he's at it. A knee injury isn't going to heal mid-season for a point guard ... far too much stress, cuts, etc.

The West is better this year (it couldn't have got worse than last year). It's still nothing special, however. Joe won't go undefeated again in the West with just 6 guys but he could still win it. They need a little help on the bench. The semester officially ends Friday so I believe they could make any roster addition(s) as early as Monday. I wouldn't be opposed to even doing what Edinboro did last year and adding a big, athletic lineman ... just somebody to spell some players, take/give some fouls and grab a few boards.

Comment

How about Justin Weldon as the big linemen. I guarantee that nobody this side of the Incredible Hulk would move him out of the paint. LOL.

Dante needs to shut it down. As you say the PG position has to be able to flat out move and cut on a dime.

Have you seen the IUP gals play at all? I hear they are very good. I wonder how far they can get?

-

Comment

IUPbigIndians, I like your thinking of bringing in a transfer player after friday. I'm looking at the football roster and there are quite a few athletes that played basketball also in High School. I'd like to think that Joe has a plan and now that football is over, that he can go full throttle with the plan.

Comment

Justin Weldon in the low post ... defensive substitution. That would be interesting.

Tort may not let any current players join the team but the 20 who just left ... I have no doubt there's some basketball players there. They have a solid six players. Most of us think they have seven. Joe doesn't seem to agree on Vaughns right now. Maybe Tort could put the big WR, JoJo Gause, on loan.

What's the harm in adding some depth. Allen Wright could be Brandon Spain 2.0

Talking out loud, of course, but it couldn't hurt.

Comment

• Comment

That is an odd one. That guy can play.

Usually if they are injured they at least stay on the roster. He just vanished. He has two years left ... wherever he is.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  That is an odd one. That guy can play.

Usually if they are injured they at least stay on the roster. He just vanished. He has two years left ... wherever he is.
                  Verbal commits has him listed as an Expected Red Shirt for the current season.

Comment

That's usually grades. Injuries keep you on the roster.

Same thing happened with Seton Hill's best player last year.

Comment

Justin Weldon in the low post ... defensive substitution. That would be interesting.

Tort may not let any current players join the team but the 20 who just left ... I have no doubt there's some basketball players there. They have a solid six players. Most of us think they have seven. Joe doesn't seem to agree on Vaughns right now. Maybe Tort could put the big WR, JoJo Gause, on loan.

What's the harm in adding some depth. Allen Wright could be Brandon Spain 2.0

Talking out loud, of course, but it couldn't hurt.
                      I'm not sure if there is really a precedent for IUP football players playing on the hoops team to be honest. I'm having a hard time really thinking of any. We know that hoops G Eddie Peterson joined the IUP football team one season. I think years ago (late 1960s-early 1970s) the WR Dave Smith played both. He would later play for the Steelers.

Yeah, Allen Wright would be one of the top names for me. Mongoose quick. But it is tough to make that transition at this level I would imagine. I once had a friend who could masterfully play a dozen or so musical instruments. I asked him one time why he never sang. He started to sing and Goodness he was a horrible singer. Just because you can do one thing well doesn't mean you can do the other stuff. Talent at this level is pretty rarefied air to breathe.

-

Comment

Regardless ... not a good conversation to be having in mid-December.

The depth is going to really get pushed against Fairmont. Luckily, from the couple games I've watched them, they don't press as much under their new coach.

They really go with Jason Jolle (PG). When he's on he's deadly. They aren't nearly as big as last season but still awfully good.

They have real close losses to Findlay and West Liberty (8 points combined). But they have a couple real close wins (Millersville, for one). I'm very interested to see what Cal does against them on Saturday. Like every other team that comes here, I fully expect to get their best shot.

There's very little buzz around town for this game. Last year they really tried to hype it.

Comment

Give vaughns playing time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Will there be any big news out of Indiana this week?

Comment

Hopefully. Program needs a jolt. Nobody is talking about it around town at all.

IUP men's bball hasn't posted a new tweet in over a week. You'd never know there was a huge game here Tuesday night.

IHS boys have a big home game Tuesday as well so that won't help matters.
                              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-17-2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Hopefully. Program needs a jolt. Nobody is talking about it around town at all.

IUP men's bball hasn't posted a new tweet in over a week. You'd never know there was a huge game here Tuesday night.

IHS boys have a big home game Tuesday as well so that won't help matters.
                                What a shame... you'd think they'd be promoting the heck out of this game!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X