Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

The ladies took down Geneva this morning, 125-53.

I checked the score the first time and it was 48-6.

Kind of odd to see Tom scheduling this type of opponent. Regardless, that improves the ladies to 10-0.

Up next: a trip to Gannon on Dec. 30.

Comment

http://iupathletics.com/news/2017/12...on-dec-19.aspx

Comment

A closer look at Fairmont State:

* All its losses have come on the road. All very close.
        * Lost at Findlay by 2 points and at West Liberty by 6 points.
        * Oddly, they seem to play worst against bad teams ... with a couple narrow wins over teams like Glenville State and WVW.
        * Best win: Wheeling Jesuit
        * Hitting about 38 percent from deep and they shoot a lot of treys
        * Glaring weakness on the stat sheet is at the free throw line ... hitting about 67 percent.
        * Rotation-wise (11) players average at least 10 minutes per game.
        * Haven't seen them press much in the games I've seen -- unlike last year
        * Not quite as big 1-8 as last year
        * PG Jason Jolley is extremely hard to guard and has an incredible first-step -- and will launch from anywhere

For IUP to win:

* Have to stay clean. Foul trouble will spell doom. Blake and Willem can't be lawn ornaments sitting on the bench.
        * Avoid the MEC pace. Control the tempo.
        * Joe's been talking zone. May not be a bad time. FSU has a tremendous speed advantage.
        * IUP will have a big size advantage in this game ... must win underneath. All those deep shots FSU takes .... the misses have long rebounds.
        * Bore them to death PSAC style. Long possessions. Get in to a sprint and IUP loses by 20 points.
        * If they go man .... I put Hutton on Jolley all night.
        * Play tough and physical
        * Vaughns has to play. They aren't winning this game with 6 players.
        * Control the turnovers ... much better the past two games.

This is a big game. With four losses before Santa comes ... it's a real big game. Time to win one of these ... this group has been in enough tight losses.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          A closer look at Fairmont State:

* All its losses have come on the road. All very close.
          * Lost at Findlay by 2 points and at West Liberty by 6 points.
          * Oddly, they seem to play worst against bad teams ... with a couple narrow wins over teams like Glenville State and WVW.
          * Best win: Wheeling Jesuit
          * Hitting about 38 percent from deep and they shoot a lot of treys
          * Glaring weakness on the stat sheet is at the free throw line ... hitting about 67 percent.
          * Rotation-wise (11) players average at least 10 minutes per game.
          * Haven't seen them press much in the games I've seen -- unlike last year
          * Not quite as big 1-8 as last year
          * PG Jason Jolley is extremely hard to guard and has an incredible first-step -- and will launch from anywhere

For IUP to win:

* Have to stay clean. Foul trouble will spell doom. Blake and Willem can't be lawn ornaments sitting on the bench.
          * Avoid the MEC pace. Control the tempo.
          * Joe's been talking zone. May not be a bad time. FSU has a tremendous speed advantage.
          * IUP will have a big size advantage in this game ... must win underneath. All those deep shots FSU takes .... the misses have long rebounds.
          * Bore them to death PSAC style. Long possessions. Get in to a sprint and IUP loses by 20 points.
          * If they go man .... I put Hutton on Jolley all night.
          * Play tough and physical
          * Vaughns has to play. They aren't winning this game with 6 players.
          * Control the turnovers ... much better the past two games.

This is a big game. With four losses before Santa comes ... it's a real big game. Time to win one of these ... this group has been in enough tight losses.
          Good work, I couldn't have said it better myself. Let's hope for the best!

Comment

The ladies took down Geneva this morning, 125-53.

I checked the score the first time and it was 48-6.

Kind of odd to see Tom scheduling this type of opponent. Regardless, that improves the ladies to 10-0.

Up next: a trip to Gannon on Dec. 30.
            I tuned in for 2 seconds to see a 49-8 score. I turned it right off. I think Tom needed a willing opponent to play the day game. That has to be the reason.

Comment

Fairmont State's game preview:

http://fightingfalcons.com/news/2017...px?path=mbball

Comment

Huge W for IUP ... smothering D

74-59

Dante returned
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-19-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

That's a statement win tonight! I only saw the last 10 minutes b/c of my own coaching obligations but from I saw, it looked like the extra time off helped. Daunte playing, that was unexpected. I'm wondering if Joe's plan of adding someone fell through.

Comment

Finally was able to tune into some IUP basketball. Didn't watch the whole game, but was able to watch. I'm way behind on the year to this point. With going back to school for my masters, it's tough to concentrate on following two D2 teams closely. I was football focused for a good while. Glad to be back in the mix here though.

Very nice win for Joe and the gang.

Comment

Ayron Hutton didn't light up the stat sheet but was dominant on defense. Malik was also outstanding defensively (and offensively). They held Jolley to 5 points on 1 of 7 shooting.

Glover finished in the low-20s.

Very different intensity level tonight. I think Bravado finally found a spark. First time all year IUP was the aggressor. Nice to see.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-19-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Ayron Hutton didn't light up the stat sheet but was dominant on defense. Malik was also outstanding defensively (and offensively). They held Jolley to 5 points on 1 of 7 shooting.

Glover finished in the low-20s.

Very different intensity level tonight. I think Bravado finally found a spark. First time all year IUP was the aggressor. Nice to see.

Comment

I thought Fairmont played terrible, missed alot of shots they made last year. They are no where near as good as last year, the speed is not in control, and they looked to be flailing alot, alot of bad fouls, too.

This is the first IUP game I've seen live this year, and what others have said seemed true, lots of energy from IUP tonight and a good win.

Comment

For two sentences, Ironman, you packed a lot in there.

A few comments (on your comments):

Fairmont isn't the same team as last year. But, that's still a real good team that beat Wheeling Jesuit, lost to Findlay by a bucket and to West Liberty (106-100).

IUP played tremendously better defense against them. You hold Fairmont to just 4 three-pointers you're doing something right. IUP contested just about every shot. We haven't seen that defensive effort probably since the DeVante team.

Fairmont also lives and dies with Jason Jolley. When he's 'on' the whole floor opens up for them. IUP smothered him. He was visibly flustered in the second half. When he can't play Houdini the side effect trickles down. Hutton and Malik did a tremendous job on him and it effected their whole offense.

The bad calls went both ways. The refs seemed to want some camera time in the second half. That said, both teams only shot a combined 19 free throw attempts. Combined, that's very low.
                            One thing to keep in mind is the PSAC calls a much tighter game than the MEC. A lot of fouls up here aren't called down there.

IUP also owned the boards with a +8 advantage. You mention Fairmont shot bad. They finished 32.2 percent from the field. IUP had a lot to do with that number. Keep in mind this was a team averaging 90 points per game -- held to 59 points. Not a coincidence.

Ironically, IUP turned the ball over 16 times to just 8 from Fairmont.

That was a real, real big win for IUP. Fairmont is going to win a lot of games this year and likely make the tournament. It's a great strength of schedule boost and in-region win.

Give both teams credit for playing these types of non-conference games. They don't have to do so and it's risky. Look at some others who play laughable non-conference schedules. IUP could have played three patsies instead of Ferris State, Findlay and Virginia State and have an 11-1 record right now. That's the risky part. Hopefully it doesn't backfire on selection day.

Joe made a real good comment after the game. They obviously watched Fairmont score 109 on Cal this past Saturday -- hitting 17 treys on the Vulcans in 37 attempts. Joe said, paraphrase, they made all those trey's on Cal because Cal let them shoot 37 of them -- and that IUP wasn't going to let them shoot 37 of them. And, they didn't (8 for 33 -- almost all highly-contested).

Trust me ... when you beat an elite MEC team ... take it. It's not easy to do.
                            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-20-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I forgot to mention Dante ...

Yeah, looks like I was wrong on that one. From Joe's post-game radio show after the Cheyney game it sounded like a done deal. Maybe Joe was blowing a little smoke?

It's a good thing. He played pretty well last night. It looked like the two games he sat and the week off for finals helped him a lot. Ayron Hutton yelled at him a couple times last night to 'slow down' ... good advice. It worked. As long as Dante isn't trying to be Stephon Marbury or Allen Iverson he's pretty effective.

Comment

I forgot to mention Dante ...

Yeah, looks like I was wrong on that one. From Joe's post-game radio show after the Cheyney game it sounded like a done deal. Maybe Joe was blowing a little smoke?

It's a good thing. He played pretty well last night. It looked like the two games he sat and the week off for finals helped him a lot. Ayron Hutton yelled at him a couple times last night to 'slow down' ... good advice. It worked. As long as Dante isn't trying to be Stephon Marbury or Allen Iverson he's pretty effective.
                                I'm glad Daunte was back on the court. I don't think it was a Bravado Joe smoke screen. I truly believe he had a plan and the time off helped Daunte get right. As far as Daunte slowing down... as a coach, I've been saying that all a long. Daunte sometimes plays to fast and he doesn't let plays develop. Hutton is a defensive guy, always has been and always will be as far as I'm concerned. I still don't understand the Vaughns situation. UGH!!! Hopefully these men can build off this big win.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X