Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    LOL ... you're intense. That's the coach in you ... all heck breaking loose and you spot a travel!
    hahahahahahaha... I never look at it that way!

Comment

While I'm not a fan of his antics, I do give Kevin Reynolds a lot of credit for putting a team on the floor that is highly competitive.

I don't know this year's exact scholarship numbers but his 'budget' is typically about one-third of IUP, Gannon, Mercyhurst and California. Basketball is also treated like the 'red-headed stepchild' at SRU compared to football.

I know factually Till and McDonald had offers from all over -- Alderson-Broaddus, Virginia Union, Bowie State ... and several more. Being so many were after them they have to be on full ticket at SRU. That likely means the rest of his roster had about 2.5 to 3 'full ride' equivalencies to divide out.

He certainly takes some character issues and high-risk players. But, he does find a way to keep them more than competitive most years in the PSAC.

I always wonder what he'd do with a full budget. I think he thrives with the 'us against the world' and 'more with less' philosophy. That team was 'up' for that game last night.

Comment

While I'm not a fan of his antics, I do give Kevin Reynolds a lot of credit for putting a team on the floor that is highly competitive.

I don't know this year's exact scholarship numbers but his 'budget' is typically about one-third of IUP, Gannon, Mercyhurst and California. Basketball is also treated like the 'red-headed stepchild' at SRU compared to football.

I know factually Till and McDonald had offers from all over -- Alderson-Broaddus, Virginia Union, Bowie State ... and several more. Being so many were after them they have to be on full ticket at SRU. That likely means the rest of his roster had about 2.5 to 3 'full ride' equivalencies to divide out.

He certainly takes some character issues and high-risk players. But, he does find a way to keep them more than competitive most years in the PSAC.

I always wonder what he'd do with a full budget. I think he thrives with the 'us against the world' and 'more with less' philosophy. That team was 'up' for that game last night.
        Hmmm
        Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS
        If those kids are really going there for basically no money ... at their quality ... they are morons.

Comment

Have you ever had an original thought? Hmmm.

Comment

I always forget the poor east schools like WCU have no money. Wink.

Comment

You're also talking ATHLETIC scholarship money too. West Liberty is really good at recruiting kids who also qualify for other aid, especially government grants. The holy trifecta is a scholarship athlete who is also an academic scholarship student who is Pell eligible.

Comment

It's the endless comments from the East posters about the East schools having no scholarships.

However it (the money) is spun, it's just funny.

The PSAC East has 4 dynamite basketball teams this year. About 80 percent walk-ons, I'm led to assume. They just love playing this 'poor me' card so when they lose it's a built-in excuse.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I'll bring the Jalen Vaghns talk to this thread...

My thoughts are this... When he played the other night on offense, he looked confused as to where he needed to be. Other players were screaming at him and pointing to where he should be, etc. On defense, he looked like he was face guarding "his" man. A few times the dribbler blew by him and he had no clue it happened when he should've been in a help side.

They were up like 15 when Vaughns entered in the second half the other side. That's when the momentum switch out of IUP's hands because Vaughns lack of court discipline. He's really athletic but he definitely needs a lot more of Coach Joe in his ear to learn!!!

Comment

So ...

Again ... why wasn't Vaughns the one given the redshirt and Keyes on the active roster? Keyes played a year at UPJ and had a terrific season at Harford last year. He was teammates with SRU's Micah Till and Aaron McDonald (that's a JUCO team ... wow).

We're obviously missing something in this story. Remember nobody had ever heard of Vaughns until late August when he all the sudden appeared on the roster. He was signed with St. Francis (officially).

I don't think Keyes ever signs with IUP if he knew he was taking the redshirt. I get Joe wanting to save him for the next two years but they sure could have used him this year.

It's a strange situation -- in particular since Vaughns' role at best is to give Cobo a quick breather.

Comment

28 turnovers and lost by 3... Yikes!!! How do you not get a shot off at the end of the game? That ball should have been in Glover's hand.

Comment

More than 28. That's home cooking sckrekeeping.

#crapshow

Unreal they lost that game.

On so many levels.

I can't wait to read the box.

Comment

ESU is good.

If we didn't have the circus at guard ....

Comment

Great technical by Joe, too. It helped a lot in a close game.

Comment

Great technical by Joe, too. It helped a lot in a close game.
                              I missed the technical, the video feed was messed up when all that went down. Joe just talked in his post game that he felt his team was fatigued and not well prepared for the press today b/c of the lack of practice time. He also said they could've used the fifth guard today but he's not available (Armani Foster). He went on to say that he needs to recruit more and be better ready for these situations. He feels his team wasn't deep enough if they got into this situation. Makes me wonder what he truly thinks of the guys past the first 7. He's got 13 on the roster, do the rest of those guys just take up space?

Comment

All walk-ons. Keyes is on scholarship but redshirt. Armoni out for season and redshirt.

Vaughns on full ride but plays 30 seconds. That leaves 7 players.

Seven-man rotation for a fully-funded program.
                                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-10-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X