Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

It's official ...

Message Board Icon Charles Humphries has committed to IUP.

He's a real nice land for Bravado Joe. He will have two years eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      It's official ...

Message Board Icon Charles Humphries has committed to IUP.

He's a real nice land for Bravado Joe. He will have two years eligibility.
      Thought he was a "can't miss" "sure thing" D1 player? Wonder how he will react if he is not immediately installed in the starting line-up?

Seriously though, he is at the level he should have been all along. Nothing like wasting half your college basketball career chasing the D1 dreams of your handlers!

He has skills and could be a good DII player, provided he can fit in and doesn't think DII is beneath him.

Comment

I see him logging heavy minutes but he won't start this year. My assumption is he will play behind Cobo at small forward -- likely in a '6th man' type role.

He's athletic enough that I think he brings a lot of diversity to the lineup. Joe may be able to get creative with how he uses him. Humphries is a bigger Tevin Hanner (with more offensive ability). He's a very strong defensive player -- something IUP has been lacking a bit lately and should especially help as the trap/point man on Joe's press.

I see him as a much-needed piece to the puzzle. The team needed to get faster and stronger defensively. He's also bulked up since high school -- I'd peg him around 210 to 215 pounds now and he's listed at 6'6".

One box checked. Now time for the 2-3 guards.

Randy Bell. Randy Bell. Randy Bell.

Amir Hinton. Amir Hinton. Amir Hinton.

Wishful thinking ...

Comment

Bring back the aggressiveness of Eric Castorino!

Comment

Ferris State star center Zach Hankins is transferring to Xavier per VC.

Comment

I hope this Hankins move (grad transfer) doesn't snowball in D2.

Certainly a Cobo type would be prime for such a move.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                Bring back the aggressiveness of Eric Castorino!
                The Jim Morrison of PSAC hoops! I believe it was spelled Castorina.

Who were the ten most colorful IUP Basketball personalities over the past 15 years or so?

These get my vote (men's and women's ball):

10. Jahzinga Tracey- As good as it will ever get. Loved her Jordan-esque look of quiet confidence that came with knowing she could school practically anyone on the court at any time.

9. Daryl Webb- IUP's version of Mighty Joe Young. He was impressive.

8. Eric Castorina- His motor ran on high all the time.

7. Joe Lombardi- Bravado became a watch word on campus with him. 007 on the sideline.

6. Kylie Miller- Full throttle all the time. 150% all the time. How could anyone do that?

5. Jeff Dow- Unforgettable women's coach who was such a conversation piece. And Ashton Smith- Dynamic backcourt player with charisma.

4. Dennis Mims- A true outlaw, but a darn talented one.

3. DeVante Chance- Little man could sure play some ball. And Jack Benedict- ultra-colorful play by play radio man.

2. Fannar Olafsson- The guy was pretty nutty!

1. Gary Edwards- Nobody else like him in the world. He truly took the prize in all areas.

I'm sure I left a lot of very memorable characters out here. A lot of these folks will never be forgotten by the IUP faithful.

Anybody else have a list?

-

Comment

Dennis Mims was the prized golden child of the Gary Edwards mercenary days ...

I think many of the IUP brass discredit him due to being a one-year guy, but I'm not sure the program has ever had a more dominant player. He was a scary dude ... looked like he was on loan from the NBA Power Forward program. I think his teammates were even afraid of him.

My opinion, Mims and Rodney Horton have to be on the 'first team' All-IUP roster. They were both on a different level.

Comment

Dennis Mims was the prized golden child of the Gary Edwards mercenary days ...

I think many of the IUP brass discredit him due to being a one-year guy, but I'm not sure the program has ever had a more dominant player. He was a scary dude ... looked like he was on loan from the NBA Power Forward program. I think his teammates were even afraid of him.

My opinion, Mims and Rodney Horton have to be on the 'first team' All-IUP roster. They were both on a different level.
                    Have to include Robert Misenko on that ALL TIME, First Team ALL IUP roster...HE was a beast

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                      Have to include Robert Misenko on that ALL TIME, First Team ALL IUP roster...HE was a beast
                      Still is ... he was a game this year. He stood beside Cobo and Cobo looked like a stick figure.

Comment

My top ten list was for most colorful IUP basketball characters. Not sure if you guys took it that way.

Mims was really something else. Wasn't there a time when the men's team was departing at like 8 AM to go somewhere and he got arrested at like 3 AM? I'll bet that was a really interesting conversation with Gary and him. But no better talent than Mims as he led IUP to the final four that year.

I think Misenko was the one who coached Homer-Center boys basketball for a time after he graduated IUP. I wonder if he made coaching his life's work?

-

Comment

I hope this Hankins move (grad transfer) doesn't snowball in D2.

Certainly a Cobo type would be prime for such a move.
                          Don't think it will start a trend anymore than past "one and done" transfers within SR1 started a trend.

Comment

I can't recall many going 'up'. Can you?

Comment

I can't recall many going 'up'. Can you?
                              Hahaha! Depends on who you talk to about it being "up" or not!!!

Comment

Hankins is going to D1 Xavier. That's a pretty big jump. Xavier was a No. 1 seed in the recent Big Dance.

Obviously a Sleva or Cobo could easily have found homes in similar moves.

I feel for Ferris State ... losing their star and all.

I was just saying I hope his move doesn't start a pattern. That would really suck for the team being left behind in D2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X