Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Dude ... they were so outmatched athletically in that game it was unreal.
    If they were so out matched, then how did they tie it up to go to OT??? Clean up the turnovers and and make the shots around the rim. It's not hard to figure out, JUST DO IT!!!

Comment

I think their opponent had something to do with it. Did you watch the game?

Comment

Yes I did, it's the same mistakes they continue to make every game. I understand that press will cause a little havoc but there were other turnovers in that game that just can't happen. One distinct one that comes to mind is when Spain "dished" the ball to Danielek, on a fast break but the dish was a rocket that nobody could've caught. It would've been an easy lay up if he puts a little touch on that ball. It's plays like that they haven't connected on all year.

Comment

Dude ... they were so outmatched athletically in that game it was unreal.
          for sure, but I thought fairmont was undisciplined and lacked some control - their Achilles heel tonight. If they watch their fouls tonight it wouldn't have been close. Cobo seemed rattled by their athleticism tonight. even though he hit the buzzer beater, the rest of the game, I thought he was not his normal self.

Comment

I agree. Danielak has been pretty shaky at best. Spain has great moments and pull out hair moments. Frustrating, actually. He's (Danielak) gotta find some confidence.

Beleive me I wanted that game. It was there to take. I don't know how they fix this mental stuff. That's why Joe's here, I guess.

But, you're right. It's the same stuff. Over and over.

They are close .... but far.

Comment

Things could be worse. Mercyhurst lost at home tonight to a previously 0-10 Robert's Wesleyan.

Comment

IUP is 9-2 at semesters end. I thought there were some good discussion points brought up after the game last night. It made me curious to take a closer look -- in particular at how IUP has played in its three biggest games. IUP could have won all three. IUP could have lost all three. The following are statistics ... not opinions. As you will see, there are some very common factors ... as IUPAlum pointed out last night.

Stat Category vs. Ship (L) vs. Kutztown (W) vs. Fairmont (L, OT) Overall Season
                Points scored 80 77 81 79.9
                Points against 87 76 91 71.5
                FG % .478 .429 .414 .464
                3PT % .343 .318 .250 .353
                FT % .500 .941 .848 .780
                Rebounds 31 40 37 35.5 per
                Opponents Rebounds 29 34 33 34.5 per
                Assists 19 14 13 17.7 per
                Turnovers 13 19 21 13.8
                Steals 6 3 9 7.6 per
                Blocks 3 3 2 2.7 per
                Opponents FG% .438 .433 .483 .418
                Opponent 3pt % .409 .333 .400 .333
                Opponent FT 36-40 11-20 23-36 173-246
                IUP FT 4-8 16-17 28-33 167-214

Opponents to date W/L record:

Lincoln (Win, 101-82) 2-9
                Urbana (Win, 91-74) 5-5
                Bowie (Win, 80-67) 5-7
                Lock Haven (Win, 73-59) 5-4
                Bloomsburg (Win, 63-61) 4-5
                Alderson Broaddus (Win, 75-70) 2-7
                The Sciences (Win, 76-50) 3-10
                Shippensburg (Loss, 87-80) 9-0
                Kutztown (Win, 77-76) 8-1
                Mansfield (Win, 82-69) 4-4
                Fairmont State (Loss, 91-81 OT) 10-0
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...cons,25557328/

Game story. Good quotes.

Comment

It would have been great to see the Fairmont State-IUP game last night online. Does IUP not webstream any of its games? Sounded like a great one to watch of 2 top 20 clubs.

Comment

It unfortunately appears to have been a financial cut this year.

And, yes, it was a wild one.

Comment

That's too bad as it is always fun to watch other region teams play when you can and not have to travel to see.

It unfortunately appears to have been a financial cut this year.

And, yes, it was a wild one.

Comment

Tomorrow night's game versus Gannon at the KCAC doesn't have the buzz of a big game but it's a real important one. Tossing out last season for the Golden Knights as an anomaly, Gannon seems to be on its way back to the PSAC contention ranks. The 5-4 record is fairly deceptive once you crunch the numbers a bit. This is by no means going to be an easy game. At best, IUP would probably be considered a mild, 2 to 5 point favorite. Despite being the first West game of the year ... the West isn't very good this year. The PSAC Tournament hosting rights will likely come down to these two teams. Add to it that winning in the Hammermill is never easy so this really becomes a must-win game for IUP.

A closer look at the Knights:

Top scorers:

Forward (6-foot-9) Evan Phoenix 16.1 ppg
                          Guard (6-foot) Zay Jackson 14.4 ppg
                          Forward (6-foot-7) Matthew Dogan 14.2 ppg
                          Key Stats

CATEGORY GANNON OPPONENTS
                          FG % .452 .412
                          3PT % .388 .383
                          Points per game 74.2 68.9
                          Rebounds per game 40.0 29.8
                          FT % .672

Against opponents with talent levels in the IUP neighborhood, the Knights are 1-4 -- with a lopsided win against Bowie and losses to (at) West Chester (73-63), Ohio Dominican (66-56), East Stroudsburg (88-81) and (at) Wheeling Jesuit (65-63). Note: The losses there are in order. They are getting closer with each which shows this team is getting better with each game. The Wheeling game is a story in itself and ESU made a big comeback in the second half to win.

IUP is going to be dramatically out-sized in this game underneath. Gannon's post rotation is big and deep (must be nice). You also start to assume that every team that comes to town somehow shoots the lights out from the outside in the KCAC.

The key for IUP to win this game, my opinion, is to speed it up. Fairmont ... they had to try and slow down. Gannon ... they have to speed up. They can't make this the John Reilly dream game of 55-53. If they get in to a bang 'em style slow-down IUP will struggle. IUP's advantage in this game will be speed and guard play. Gannon is out-rebounding its opponents by double digits per game. Speed the pace and avoid the Gannon zone. I think whoever can dictate the pace wins this game.

It's going to be a good one. This has actually been one dramatic season so far ... lots of thrilling finishes so far.

Comment

Tomorrow night's game versus Gannon at the KCAC doesn't have the buzz of a big game but it's a real important one. Tossing out last season for the Golden Knights as an anomaly, Gannon seems to be on its way back to the PSAC contention ranks. The 5-4 record is fairly deceptive once you crunch the numbers a bit. This is by no means going to be an easy game. At best, IUP would probably be considered a mild, 2 to 5 point favorite. Despite being the first West game of the year ... the West isn't very good this year. The PSAC Tournament hosting rights will likely come down to these two teams. Add to it that winning in the Hammermill is never easy so this really becomes a must-win game for IUP.

A closer look at the Knights:

Top scorers:

Forward (6-foot-9) Evan Phoenix 16.1 ppg
                            Guard (6-foot) Zay Jackson 14.4 ppg
                            Forward (6-foot-7) Matthew Dogan 14.2 ppg
                            Key Stats

CATEGORY GANNON OPPONENTS
                            FG % .452 .412
                            3PT % .388 .383
                            Points per game 74.2 68.9
                            Rebounds per game 40.0 29.8
                            FT % .672

Against opponents with talent levels in the IUP neighborhood, the Knights are 1-4 -- with a lopsided win against Bowie and losses to (at) West Chester (73-63), Ohio Dominican (66-56), East Stroudsburg (88-81) and (at) Wheeling Jesuit (65-63). Note: The losses there are in order. They are getting closer with each which shows this team is getting better with each game. The Wheeling game is a story in itself and ESU made a big comeback in the second half to win.

IUP is going to be dramatically out-sized in this game underneath. Gannon's post rotation is big and deep (must be nice). You also start to assume that every team that comes to town somehow shoots the lights out from the outside in the KCAC.

The key for IUP to win this game, my opinion, is to speed it up. Fairmont ... they had to try and slow down. Gannon ... they have to speed up. They can't make this the John Reilly dream game of 55-53. If they get in to a bang 'em style slow-down IUP will struggle. IUP's advantage in this game will be speed and guard play. Gannon is out-rebounding its opponents by double digits per game. Speed the pace and avoid the Gannon zone. I think whoever can dictate the pace wins this game.

It's going to be a good one. This has actually been one dramatic season so far ... lots of thrilling finishes so far.
                            You might be surprised by the style of GU on Friday night. can iup run with gu is my question. I know that sounds strange but I could not believe what I saw against ESU. Run and gun. GU has big trouble when they have foul trouble and need to go to the bench. Phoenix and miruad both shooting over 50 percent and Jackson and Dogan combined 45 percent from three. New point guard with great assist to turnover ratio. Long layoff may hurt a hot shooting starting five though. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Comment

That's interesting. Has that been apparent all year or more so in the ESU game? ESU traditionally plays very un-PSAC up-tempo and can tend to speed teams up. IUP is certainly geared to play the faster game and I don't think this team would fair very well in a slow-down traditional 'West' type game.

Gannon seemed to play more 'Gannon' style against Wheeling but perhaps that was just Reilly knowing he had to slow them down to have a shot.

Like I said ... it's going to be a good one. Hopefully there are some people there to see it. Indiana High School isn't playing tomorrow night so that should help some. I still hate to see these rivalry games scheduled over break. Gannon's visit two years ago drew almost 3,800 people. I'd be happy with 1,200 tomorrow.

Comment

I've watched Gannon play twice this year, they make me nervous against IUP. Reilly is letting that team get out and run this year and they are athletic enough to do it. They are also capable of slowing the game down if needed (Reilly style). I just feel that IUP isn't big enough nor deep enough at this point. It shocks me to say that because that isn't what I thought coming into the season. IUP also turns the ball over way to much. 10 turnovers or below then they win but over 10 and they are screwed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X