Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Excellent point which poses a question ... why does it seem like depth is always an issue with this program?

I haven't seen a team come to the KCAC yet this year that has dressed less than 12 players. IUP dresses 10 but only 8 play. I know CJ quitting in camp was a big loss for the bench. I believe Rouse was added to the roster once the CJ news broke. Bearer was off the team then back on (redshirting).

Cross your fingers. One injury could be devastating for this team. Hell, foul trouble is devastating.

I like the roster. I'm just not sure the correct rotations and lineups are being used. I won't come off my Spain belief. He plays ----> good stuff happens. He doesn't ----> bad stuff happens. Check the logs. Watch the tapes. The proof is there. He sparked the Shippensburg comeback and was huge in the second half of the Kutztown win. What combination with him on the floor is best ... great question.

He's a loose cannon ... we all know that. The the good outweighs the bad. I don't know if I'll ever understand him getting just 20 minutes a game.

Comment

I believe Joe knows what he's doing. I understand your thinking with Spain. Maybe Joe knows something we don't. I know I have a kid I coach that is far better off the bench then when he starts. If you recall, when they went to the National championship with Webb and crew, Julian Sanders came off the bench. He was probably the best shooter in the league but he fit that 6th man role better than as a start with that group.

Comment

IUP men win 64-57 over Gannon.

Cottrell huge night with 22 points. Spain big night. Huge spark.

It was 'interesting' .... that's one word to call it.

Officiating essentially made game hard to watch. Terrible for both teams.
        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-30-2016, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Tough game to watch is right. Those three guys are brutal!!! Other than that it played out how I thought it would for an IUP win. Phoenix got in foul trouble and from there it made things easier for IUP. I think Spain should start at the point and Lombardi the shooting guard. Spain gets every thing going with his speed and athletic ability. Glover I think should come off the bench. Hutton is very good defensively but my god he is no where on the offensive end. Danielak proved why he doesn't play much. Malik Miller gets better every game. Driz... his value to this team has no words to describe it. He was awesome on both ends tonight! This IUP team is good but has a ton of work to do. Don't count Gannon out, they might still be neck and neck with IUP in the PSAC West. IUP is very beatable.

Comment

If Evan Phoenix is 6'9" then I'm Shaq. Joe had a good scouting report on him. Just go right at him. He plays defense like Daddy Ugbede. Instant fouls.

I really, really liked No. 3 from Gannon (Zay). He's a stud. Both ends. My guess is he's why Dante only played 23 minutes. That wasn't a good matchup for Dante.

Dogans is a nice offensive post. Cottrell really took it to him on the other end, however. He also probably should of got T'd up at least once. He was pretty whiney last night and walked that line pretty close.

Overall, I was fairly impressed with Gannon. Big leap since last year. They'll be in the race. Phoenix has to get under control. That word is going to spread fast.

Gannon's foul shooting just killed them last night (10-18). IUP also strangely shot bad FTs. IUP also won on the boards 38-27.

IUP needs to clean a lot of stuff up. That game really shouldn't have been that close last night.

Danielak .... not sure what to do there. I also suspect Miller may crack the starting lineup soon and Hutton sits.

If you noticed the 'starting' lineup again opened the game awful yesterday ... getting in an immediate 12-3 hole. Spain comes in and goes nuts. The whole game changed.

There is a good team on that roster. Will Joe get the right combinations is the biggest question.

I'm not sure Glover is the one who shouldn't start. He's the calming presence and plays pretty mistake-free.

I personally think the starting lineup should be Cottrell, Cobo, Glover, Spain and Miller. Dante sixth man. Hutton and Danielak sub as needed.

I make Glover full-time PG. Spain plays best out of the corner. He gets wreckless at PG.
            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-31-2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Some classic John Reilly quotes in the Gazette today:

"We've been a terrible rebounding team all year," he said. "It looks like we're good, but we stink. For whatever reason, we don't want to play with any physicality ... I've always had great rebounding teams, but we don't want to hit anybody. That's what happens if you don't want to hit anybody, you get smashed on the glass. It's huge."

"They out-toughed us for 40 minutes," Reilly said. "That was the story of the game. They out-toughed us every play."

Reilly is always good for some great interviews ... far from typical coach speak babbling that is so common.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Some classic John Reilly quotes in the Gazette today:

"We've been a terrible rebounding team all year," he said. "It looks like we're good, but we stink. For whatever reason, we don't want to play with any physicality ... I've always had great rebounding teams, but we don't want to hit anybody. That's what happens if you don't want to hit anybody, you get smashed on the glass. It's huge."

"They out-toughed us for 40 minutes," Reilly said. "That was the story of the game. They out-toughed us every play."

Reilly is always good for some great interviews ... far from typical coach speak babbling that is so common.
                Seems to me the bench scoring was a bigger issue. Four points isn't going to win many games against quality opponents. More physical play will lead to more starters in early foul trouble and more losses. As soon as Phoenix got in early foul trouble i thought it was going to be hard to win. Gu starting five must close the last 10 minutes or so of games to win. Need another good recruiting class to beat top teams.

Comment

Beleive me we know what you're talking about ... Daddy Ugbede was incredibly gifted on offense but he could never stay on the floor due to being a total hack on defense.

You're also correct, from non-Gannon eyes, that the team is close. I'd agree ... probably one more key player away.

The offensive boards crushed Gannon's hopes last night. It was a good game. Round 2 will be also.

Comment

Did anybody hear how long Appleby is out for with the ankle?

Comment

It sounds like that was it (just the Gannon game). Tell you what ... her sub rocked the house with 20-some points.

Tom's got a pretty loaded team. This 8 game winning streak ... just blowing people out.

Granted, things are about to get much, much harder schedule-wise.

UPJ is pretty bad this year ... it wouldn't shock me if she sits this one out just to be safe. Friday at SRU will be tougher than UPJ.

Comment

I think the sub actually transferred from UPJ IIRC. She did well.

This team is very surprising thus far. Tom must have known more about what he was doing than we thought he did.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                          I think the sub actually transferred from UPJ IIRC. She did well.

This team is very surprising thus far. Tom must have known more about what he was doing than we thought he did.
                          I was surprised by what they accomplished last year. By now it's pretty clear the women's program is in good shape. I'm still hoping Gannon makes a strong push for mazzante. Very similar life experience as strom at cal and decker at east stroudsburg. Both last years coaches of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                            I was surprised by what they accomplished last year. By now it's pretty clear the women's program is in good shape. I'm still hoping Gannon makes a strong push for mazzante. Very similar life experience as strom at cal and decker at east stroudsburg. Both last years coaches of the year.
                            Kelly Mazzante would be a fantastic hire for a PSAC school. I'm simply puzzled why Bloom didn't put a full court press on for her last year. She's from near there and certainly a local basketball legend. Just the name value alone would have been BIG for recruiting and selling tickets.

Comment

IUP men win a nail-biter over UPJ, 77-72.

AJ Leahy hit two treys from the Alumni Bar. Goodness.

Gannon beats Cal in OT
                              Rock 49 Mercy 46 .... sounds right on for this game
                              SH hammered Boro

Mansfield over WCU in two OT
                              ESU and Ship both with blowout wins

IUP women by about 40 over UPJ. Rolling.
                              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-03-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Ship getting no love in those national polls ... for whatever their worth, anyway.

They should be Top 5 right now ... not 14th.

Must be the penalty for playing those two PSU branch games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X