Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

National polls are meaningless beauty contests ... regional polls are where NCAA bids and hosting privileges are awarded.

What a crazy night at the Hammermill. Despite Evan Phoenix leaving the game quite early with an injury (speculation is possible concussion) GU takes a 16-point lead at the half, and leads by as much as 17 with 13:50 to go. GU still leads by 13 when Matt Dogan fouls out with nine minutes to go. Without Dogan, the wheels come off, Robel Teckle catches fire, and Cal sends the game into overtime (despite a terrible and obvious lane violation with an opportunity to tie the game with a minute to AND despite Rashawn Brown tying the game with 11 seconds to go on an and-one. But Brown got hurt on the play and left the game. Reilly has his choice of the remaining four players on the floor to put at the line. Reilly chooses Jay Tucker, who happens to be 5/5 from the line on the night. But Tucker misses the foul shot. GU came up empty on its last possession, but won it in overtime.

Both teams are awful at closing. At one point, GU was 7/20 in the second half and OT, before Zay Jackson made a string of free throws when Cal was fouling at the end.

But at least we weren't at the Mercy / Rock slog-fest. The Rose Bowl was higher scoring.

Comment

Haha ... Rock vs. Mercy is the epitome of PSAC West basketball. In this day and age, to see a game's final score have both teams in the 40s is awfully rare. Incredible, actually.

Comment

Big game tomorrow ... IUP (6-1, 11-2) at Slippery Rock (5-2, 9-4). Indiana has lost three of the last four trips to Morrow Field House.

Taking a closer look at Slippery Rock:

* The Rock signed 12 (yes, 12) new players for this season
        * Current 6-game winning streak with victories over West Chester, Seton Hill and Mercyhurst
        * Suffered early season blowout losses to Wheeling Jesuit, Kutztown and Shippensburg
        * Very likely those games were too much for an 'un-gelled' team to handle in November
        * Par for the course, this Rock team is getting better by the week (as Reynolds' teams always do)
        * Out-rebounding opponents by more than 10 per game
        * Big, physical team
        * Two players averaging double figures ...
        * Not a good shooting team through 13 games from the 3PT or the foul line
        * This is typically SRU's 'big draw' of the year and the atmosphere is pretty tough. Being over break and given SRU is averaging about 250 per game ... I'd expect the crowd to have no factor.
        * Rock not built to run. IUP must speed them up and turn this in to a scoring fest as SRU doesn't have the shooters to keep up. If SRU plays at a low-50s pace, IUP could be in trouble.

Stat comparisons:

CATEGORY IUP SRU
        PPG 78.5 66.2
        PPG ALLOWED 70.4 62.5
        FG% .463 .455
        3PT% .350 .288
        OPPONENTS 3PT% .335 .321
        FT% .766 .654
        REBOUNDS PER GAME 35.2 40.8
        OPPONENTS REBOUNDS PER GAME 33.4 29.0
        ASSISTS PER GAME 17.5 13.0
        TURNOVERS PER GAME 13.8 15.8
        STEALS PER GAME 7.4 4.5
        BLOCKS PER GAME 2.9 4.5

Comment

Agreed in all aspects, IUP will speed them up I'm sure. I was going to make the trip today but the weather up here in Erie is atrocious so odds are I won't risk driving through this on 79. Guess I'll have the radio feed and go to the Prep/Strong Vincent or Gannon/Seton Hill game.

Comment

I think we're in luck ... Rock is showing a 'watch live' link. They've had good feeds in the past. I was planning to go, too, but after my ride home last night ... think I'll be watching the web feed.

Comment

We will see if the Rock is for real. Not yet a believer. Iup by 8

Comment

It's been a strange series the past 4-5 years.

SRU hasn't won in Indiana since 1987. But, IUP has had some issues up there.

Lately it's been one game of the year they play faster and the other turns in to a slug fest. Rock's home wins the past few years have been those ugly, slow games.

SRU has alreasy seen Ship, Kutztown and Wheeling so it's not like IUP will overwhelm them or anything. I think your margin is accurate - perhaps 1-2 pts high.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  It's been a strange series the past 4-5 years.

SRU hasn't won in Indiana since 1987. But, IUP has had some issues up there.

Lately it's been one game of the year they play faster and the other turns in to a slug fest. Rock's home wins the past few years have been those ugly, slow games.

SRU has alreasy seen Ship, Kutztown and Wheeling so it's not like IUP will overwhelm them or anything. I think your margin is accurate - perhaps 1-2 pts high.
                  Not sure where you got your stats about SRU not winning at IUP since 1987, but that's not true...SRU won at IUP every year during the Myron Brown era 1987-1991.

I do think IUP should win tonight, but it's such a war of attrition with these IUP / SRU battles, who knows? I thought IUP should've blown them out last year, and couldn't...so...

Comment

You're right. I looked it up. SRU's last win in Indiana was during the 1990-91 season. So, next month would be the 27th straight if they can win.

I don't know why I was thinking this would be the 30th.

That's still a long freaking time.

Joe is 19-6 career vs. SRU.

The game in Indiana last year was a blowout of sorts (89-71). Joe actually called off the dogs in that one. The one up there was just a debacle and ended the big win streak. Rock was really juiced up for that one -- and they were a heck of a team by FEB last year. Cornelius Brown when ape the last month of the season. IUP was also pretty young last year ... that was really the first hostile crowd they played in front of all year. I think it had them shook up some. I was there ... just very sloppy. But, they had won 13 in a row at that point and also were due for a dud. Rock also stunk in that earlier visit to IUP ... they were a totally different team by the rematch.

When you look back over the past 6-7 years worth of scores ... not may lopsided ones in this series. Always drama. Usually some technicals. Close games. This is a great, great rivalry -- IUP leads 99-78 all-time. Three years ago I really thought the streak was over ... then Reynolds blew up with that famous technical and the whole game changed ... IUP ended up winning something like 66-64. It was a great crowd and game that night. I think Mathis Keita hit the game-winner with under 5 seconds left.

But, like I said above, SRU has beat IUP 3 of the last 4 in Morrow and Reynolds' home winning percentage at SRU is above .800 .... not going to be an easy trip. The Rock doesn't lose at home all that often.
                    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-06-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

And, of course, the previous year means nothing when you talk about SRU. None of these guys were here.

Comment

Tom up 26-10 after 1st quarter.

Comment

Rock coach tossed ... double technical. Police began walking towards court.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-06-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Third technical on SRU (women). 50-29 IUP half.

Comment

IUP 32
                              SRU 28
                              Half

Comment

Tight

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...