Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

I'd put that at 0% odds.

In many ways I think IUP is the better job. Big fish in small PSAC pond. He's well-paid for Indiana standards and has an almost celebrity-type status in town. And, he can win big in Indiana. Joe's not old but by no means young anymore. Robert Morris will always be third-string in the Pittsburgh market behind Pitt and Duquesne. And, Joe already has a 4,000 seat arena. I know the NEC is technically D1 but that's the bush leagues of D1.

Anything is possible, I guess. But that move would shock me. If Duquesne came calling ... probably a different story.

Comment

Less than 0%. The ceiling at RMU is winning the NEC, and being a 15-16 seed trying to pull a colossal upset or maybe beating a disinterested Kentucky team in a tournament no one cares about. Joe is nearing 60, a move like that makes no sense. For a younger guy like Chris Fite if he continues his current trajectory at Ship, makes a lot more sense.

Comment

On paper today, anyway, not a real great slate of games. Edinboro hosting SRU is probably the best matchup.

IUP has struggled in its past two visits to Clarion but won both. No word yet on Akeem Williams' status.

Gannon at Mansfield could be a sleeper game today.

It looks like Mansfield's big post star is still out (the guy who torched Duquesne). They have good guards but will have little answer for GU underneath.

Region-wise, West Liberty at Notre Dame is a big one. It's highly likely WL wins, but that will help Gannon and ESU.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          On paper today, anyway, not a real great slate of games. Edinboro hosting SRU is probably the best matchup.

Region-wise, West Liberty at Notre Dame is a big one. It's highly likely WL wins, but that will help Gannon and ESU.
          Serious trap game for WLU coming off emotionally and physically draining 2OT win against arch rival Wheeling Jesuit less than 48 hours ago. Notre Dame's "triplets" have been hanging big numbers on a lot of folks and even though West Liberty won by 20+ in November, that was a long time ago. If the Hilltoppers struggle to make shots, as they have at times this year, Notre Dame's good enough to beat them.

Comment

These officials are atrocious in the IUP/Clarion mens game!

Comment

Anybody know why IUP got a technical foul prior to the opening tip in the Clarion game? Why also did Clarion only get one shot?

Comment

Anybody know why IUP got a technical foul prior to the opening tip in the Clarion game? Why also did Clarion only get one shot?
                Are we referring to the men's game or the women's game?

It could've been a scorebook issue or perhaps something like a player dunking during warmups. I know the rules changed a couple years ago where certain technical fouls are assessed one free throw instead of two.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Men's game. Obviously no outcome on the game but strange to see. They're allowed to dunk in warm-ups now. I think that started last year. I was just curious if anybody was there and may have seen something, etc. It appears it was assessed to the team and not an individual player.

Comment

Hopefully IUP remembers last year's trip to Greensburg tonight. Something tells me Joe hasn't forgot about it.

That was the loss that ultimately cost IUP a trip to the NCAAs. Seton Hill was the hottest-shooting team I've ever seen that night in front what had to be the biggest/loudest crowd in its school history. The technical foul on the IUP bench in the final minute surely didn't help matters. Seton Hill put up 91 on IUP that night in regulation -- doesn't happen very often. Last year's game at the KCAC ... IUP slaughtered them.

The Griffins are a pretty strange group this year ... they lose to Cheyney one night and then beat up UPJ the next. Figure that out. Seton Hill has two dynamic post players in center Spencer Casson and Noah Davis. Manny Johsua, who had a big night in the upset win last year, also is underneath.

This is going to be a tough one tonight. Seton Hill's gym is about the size of Indiana high School. When it's packed it can be tough to play there.

Tom also got beat up there that same night ... the rare time IUP gets swept.
                    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-25-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Men's game. Obviously no outcome on the game but strange to see. They're allowed to dunk in warm-ups now. I think that started last year. I was just curious if anybody was there and may have seen something, etc. It appears it was assessed to the team and not an individual player.
                      That tends to tell me that it could've been a scorebook issue. I recall a few years ago when West Chester played Penn State-Abington (first NCAA D3 game for PSU-A) and the visitors were assessed a technical foul for having an incorrect lineup in the scorebook or something like that.
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Add another factor tonight .... IUP has a two-game lead on Gannon. No need to add extra drama to the GU trip on Saturday. Gotta win this one tonight.

Gannon hosts SRU tonight.

Comment

48-37 IUP at half .... great start but a little sloppy at end. Cottrell came out with 2 fouls and SH chipped away a bit.

Nice crowd. SH must wish IUP played here weekly with the gate draw.

Need to come out and bury them first 5 mins ... no deja vu.

Rock 28 Gannon 24 half ... shootout in the Mill
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-25-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

IUP 88
                            SH 73
                            Final

Cobo 27 pts
                            Glover 21
                            Danielak 19

Said all year there would eventually come a night when Blake went off ... he was red hot in the second half. What a different team they are with him making shots. Great to see.
                            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-25-2017, 08:45 PM.

Comment

IUP at Gannon
                              3 p.m.
                              Saturday

* The teams are 5-5 in their last 10 meetings in the series -- IUP has won the past three
                              * Gannon leads the all-time series, 22-21
                              * IUP has lost 3 of its past 4 visits to The Hammermill
                              * Both teams enter on long winning streaks -- Gannon's last loss came at the KCAC while IUP's last defeat came against Fairmont State
                              * Gannon has won an incredible 5 OT games this year -- two of which coming in Double OT

What's at stake:

An IUP win would, while unofficial, all but clinch the West and give IUP hosting rights for the PSAC Tournament. Pending, of course, IUP wouldn't spiral down in its last 7 games somehow.

Gannon, currently two games back, could make the West race real interesting with a win.

------

Tomorrow should really be the Hammermill's "I'm back" moment after many fans left last season. When filled up, that's as loud a venue as there is in D2. And, as I tend to recall from past visits, the locals don't really love Coach Lombardi too much.

A big start is imperative for the suddenly sizzling, hot-shooting Crimson Hawks. Get the crowd uninvolved.

Comment

I hope you're right about the crowd. Saturday afternoon games don't draw a well as Saturday night games. This game is scheduled for an afternoon because the Gannon athletic hall of fame banquet is in the evening. The inductees will be honored at halftime of the men's game.

Still, should be the biggest crowd of the season. Fans are starting to come back after last year's 7-19 debacle. Plus, this team is much more aggressive offensively and plays a far more entertaining brand of basketball compared to Reilly's past teams.

Big starts are one of Gannon's strengths. Gannon's had the lead after five minutes in 15 of its 18 games this season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X