Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Re: Iup basketball

I believe Majestro had knee surgery late summer. https://mobile.twitter.com/drewmages...32817385488384

Comment

If I was betting I think Concord will beat UPJ by 10-15 tonight.

Bolte may have one of his 40+ games.

Comment

From seeing Va State in person last night ... tough to take a lot away from it.

Very athletic. Big. Deep bench. Looked out of sync all night. Former Cal post Howze was their best big man. Richardson didn't play at all. Howze played well at times but he's nothing like they had in Grandberry last year. He could take the game over.

They may go bigger tonight against the formidable IUP lineup. They didn't have the shooters they had a year ago -- not last night, anyway.

UPJ can be a pain to play if you aren't used to seeing them. They play very slow and methodical -- very few mistakes. I got the impression VSU was waiting and waiting for a big run that never came.

VSU had last shot in a tie game at the end and UPJ forced a scuffle, got fouled and hit two FTs with .2 secs left.

Based upon last night I see no reason IUP isn't clearly favored in this game. But, it could have just been a bad night for VSU. Both teams were very sloppy. Most of VSU's runs came when UPJ PG Mulbah was out of the game. UPJ depth isn't real deep.

Side note you could tell IUP really had Concord flustered. IUP controlled the tempo. Concord didn't like playing at that pace.

Comment

Joe said in the Gazette today Cobo hurt his shoulder early in the second half but stayed in the game. Hopefully he can go tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Joe said in the Gazette today Cobo hurt his shoulder early in the second half but stayed in the game. Hopefully he can go tonight.

Comment

Yeah their player getting ready to enter sitting at the scorers table swatted a live ball. Should have been double technical. Their coach is a whiny dude. Of course, most say Joe is, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  If I was betting I think Concord will beat UPJ by 10-15 tonight.

Bolte may have one of his 40+ games.

Comment

IUP survives ... wins thriller, 69-67 over Virginia State.

Comment

Va State couldn't buy a bucket yesterday. They were hot today.

Comment

They won but yikes! Free throw shooting sucked and Dante 2-13 from the floor and a turn over machine!

Comment

Wasn't a banner night for Mr. Dante.

But, ... they lose that game a year ago.

Two big wins. Concord and Va State are going to win a lot of games this year.

Those are two very big SOS wins for later on down the road. Take them anyway you can get them.

Malik won that game. He took over in the second half.

Comment

Armchair point guard analysis looking back at last night (and the weekend):

* The Virginia State here last night sure as heck wasn't the one here Friday night. They looked lazy and unfocused against UPJ -- and couldn't hit the side of a barn with their shot. Their defensive intensity from Friday to Saturday was incredible. Total 360 last night. They will win 20+ games moving forward. My hunch from watching both performances is they took UPJ way too light.

* Certainly wouldn't rank IUP's performance last night as anything special -- but they did enough to win. Free throw shooting was uncharacteristically bad (69%). The 19 turnovers -- that was awful.

* IUP had several chances in the second half to bump that lead from 8 up in to double digits. They couldn't do it. VSU was a feisty bunch. The reality, though, is that game never should have been that close in the final 10 minutes. IUP was up 8 with 4:07 left and had the ball.

* Dante had a superb game Friday night against Concord but, frankly, was pretty bad last night. I would have probably moved Armoni to PG last night at halftime.

* With two games of film out now, teams are going to realize aside from Cobo that Malik is a major force and needs attention. This should help free up some heat on Dante.

* Dante had a rough game against VSU last year and they used the same strategy on him -- speed him up and annoy him. It got him flustered and the box score tells that tale. If this teams wants the big run this year there will be nights like last night when the team is best served with Armoni going to PG and Dante going to SG. Will that happen .... I tend to doubt it. Joe uses the short-leash with everybody. Well, almost everybody. Don't get me wrong. Dante needs to stay in ... but the nights he's rattled the team would be better with him at SG. He also played 38 mpg this weekend. That's way too much. Nobody is crisp at that workload.

* If those 19 TOs were 10 instead ... they win by 15 points last night. Maybe more.

* Marko and Chuckie: Both didn't show up much in the stat sheet but did contribute last night. Marko showed a little emotion last night fighting for some boards and on loose balls. He looks a lot like Willem did early last year ... kind of deer in the headlights. Historically Joe eases his new bigs in slowly. Humphries is a tremendous athlete. You can see that immediately on the floor. Both of their roles will slowly keep increasing.

* I'd assume the plan is to bring Chuckie and Marko along slowly but eventually increase their minutes and lighten the load on Cobo and Willem. Cobo averaged 37.5 mpg this weekend. Willem averaged almost 34 mpg. Eventually one will be in foul trouble so the bench needs to be ready to play more minutes.

* The downside of the big schedule is these are must-win games and battles. Not much opportunity to experiment in blowouts.

* Bowie State enters the KCAC on Wednesday with an 0-2 record. BSU has lost to Charleston (89-75) and Glenville State (118-111). They had poor starts in both games but made big comebacks in the second half of each. They had a lot of new players debuting this weekend so I'd look for some improvement after film/practice this week. They tend to play the aggressive style of Virginia State and historically always get much better as the year progresses. I'd expect another tough one.

Comment

Footage from first practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJBGS9dL1Tg

Comment

What does the Flock of Joe thing about this Bearer and Armoni rotation?

I'm not sure how much longer Armoni can play limited minutes. Bearer is a great addition. Don't get me wrong. But, Armoni may be pretty special.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X