Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

No doubt. All American candidate needs to go 2-2 there.

Comment

Here in the light of the morning after, let's be honest: IUP is still the team to beat in the Region. I doubt WLU is gonna run the table the rest of the way (with a visit to the Fighting Boltes in Athens coming up this weekend, and with the conference tourney likely matching them up against teams that can beat them--Charleston always seems to have their number come tourney time). We've seen VSU fall in the CIAA tourney before. You guys are fine and likely still in the driver's seat top host the Regional (which is a huge advantage as far as getting to the Elite 8). Earlier in the season, you guys were willing to concede that nobody goes undefeated in the PSAC, so losses like these were always lurking on the schedule. Well, here it is. And you're still fine. (But just in case, somebody should check on IUPbigINDIANS today). ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
        Here in the light of the morning after, let's be honest: IUP is still the team to beat in the Region. I doubt WLU is gonna run the table the rest of the way (with a visit to the Fighting Boltes in Athens coming up this weekend, and with the conference tourney likely matching them up against teams that can beat them--Charleston always seems to have their number come tourney time). We've seen VSU fall in the CIAA tourney before. You guys are fine and likely still in the driver's seat top host the Regional (which is a huge advantage as far as getting to the Elite 8). Earlier in the season, you guys were willing to concede that nobody goes undefeated in the PSAC, so losses like these were always lurking on the schedule. Well, here it is. And you're still fine. (But just in case, somebody should check on IUPbigINDIANS today). ; )

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Bad loss
          Basketball always is a heartbreaker of a game.

But it was a short month ago that both you and joe talked about what fighters this team is, coming back to win after getting behind on the road.

What people are saying about this game are true. The fight was not there. even so, they came back from a cold start, could have putthe game away with about 5 minutes left, but couldn't generate that last push they needed, only to get beat on a 1 in 3 shot.

Maybe the team peaked too early, maybe there are some physical problems, maybe they are just tired from the tough schedule. We'll see on Wednesday. But IUP is still in the drivers seat, as long as they have some of those good games still left in them.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Bad loss
            Drop one to Lock Haven. Then we'll talk bad loss.

Comment

They don't hand out trophies for being "the team to beat"...You have to earn it...

Comment

Perhaps, but you have to be "the team to beat" before teams get up to beat you. IUP's earned that distinction.

Comment

They lost because piss poor free throw shooting and poor from three. That's the bottom line.

The last play Dante blew the D. When they kicked out to Pat Smith, why in the world did Dante close out to him? If Smith shoots that three and makes it, I can live with that. BUT Dante leaving the best 3 point threat in the league is baffling to me. No way that kid should've ever had the chance at that 3.

Moving on... IUP is still in the drivers seat and knows they have a lot of work today. Joe needs to utilize the bench too. Not enough minutes from those guys tonight.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

This is probably the most measured take to date. IUP has played well enough to have a buffer so that the loss to Mercyhurst isn't as devastating to their #1 region seed as it could be. The Lakers are a tough team to play against. Manchel's defense will always keep them in the game. But the buffer is gone now.

The next three games are critical -- SRU, at Gannon (IUP will be heavily favored, but the Knights seem to be shooting well at home lately and Reilly's defense can also throw teams off) and at UPJ. If IUP can get by those three games, the last four games are a cakewalk to 26-2 and potential home court advantage all the way to the Elite 8.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

I'll apologize for being harsh. To quote Billy Beane ... I hate losing more than I love winning.

My frustration wasn't that they lost. It was how they lost.

If you read the paper today ... it doesn't take a genius to read between Joe's lines. That was as blatant a call-out as he's made here in a long, long time. He called them soft in his trademark Joe Speak.

The effort was inexcusable last night. How you come out flat for a rival game in front of 3,000 fans is mystifying. It wasn't just last night, either. Their first halfs lately have been poor against good teams. Coach said so himself. They were LUCKY to be down 10 at the half.

How a team with (3) 6'10" seniors gets embarrassed on the boards is baffling. Those three got battered and sauteed last night.

That's effort, boys and girls. Lack of it. Lack of fight and grit.

I stand by my comment they currently lack war dawgs. There's no DeVante Chance fire on this team. Malik has it. Not seeing it many other places.

Great teams would have ended that game with 6 minutes left.

Joe admitted not calling the timeout after the timeout when they saw Massey wasn't on the floor. They were going to foul him. By not calling that timeout they were discombulated as their whole timeout was spent planning the move to foul him (40% FT shooter). Regardless, how the D2 Larry Bird has nobody within 10' of him is just beyond explanation.

Foul shots ..... it won't go away.

So, now, Wednesday means everything. A loss likely means no conference tournament hosting. And, no regional hosting. Basketball aside, it's a HUGE money game for IUP.

In the way is the definition of a tough, physical, arrogant team.

If IUP doesn't come out pissing fire Wednesday ... they aren't ever going to. Talent isn't the problem. They have a ton of that. But, something is off.

I'm sure that wasn't a fun film session today. It shouldn't have been. Only factual thing right now is this team has lost its last two tough games in a row. They aren't built to play these slop fests but there's no choice.

So, yeah, it's one game and it may not mean anything. But, it may. It may mean a whole lot. There were some alarming items shown.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X