Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    According to Edinboro's athletics website, he was a three-year starter at Prep. Found a clip from the Erie Times that calls him a "standout" for Prep.

According to the Google, starting in 2005 Prep has won the District 10 title 9 of 15 seasons. I don't think District 10 basketball is all that strong but from a regional perspective, I'd say they're pretty good. They're not a "juggernaut" in basketball as they are in football.
    Yeah, Simpson wasn't a three year starter at Prep and that's a fact. Just wait for the media **** show Edinboro will be if Jack Gallagher walks on next year.

Comment

I was thinking that last night. He needs Ryan McLemore.

Comment

Brian Theriot? That rings a bell.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          Brian Theriot? That rings a bell.
          That sounds right. I just remember seeing him for the first time and thinking, that guy is just there to take up space and get some rebounds and then the game starts and he was just crazy good. Like those 50 year olds you sometimes run into playing pickup at the YMCA.

Comment

According to Edinboro's athletics website, he was a three-year starter at Prep. Found a clip from the Erie Times that calls him a "standout" for Prep.

According to the Google, starting in 2005 Prep has won the District 10 title 9 of 15 seasons. I don't think District 10 basketball is all that strong but from a regional perspective, I'd say they're pretty good. They're not a "juggernaut" in basketball as they are in football.

Comment

Tomorrow is Senior Night at the KCAC.

Here's a question that I've heard answered about 25 different ways:

How in the hell did Joe find Cobo four years ago?

We've got to watch one of the great four-year careers in school history. And, there's still a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We've got to watch one of the great four-year careers in school history. And, there's still a long way to go.
                We'll find out that answer at halftime. Supposedly the tv crew interviewed Joe and asked questions like that. They've been advertising that for about two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I thought I heard a story that both IUP and Michigan State offered him...but IUP was Division II and MSU was "only" D-I. Anyway, when Joe didn't have that "superstar" recruiting class this board clamored about in the summer of 2017, I think Cobo was the team's biggest recruit. Think about it: a 6-9 guy who can shoot from 3, play in the post, handle, play defense, rebound, score, assist, play three positions and have two years of eligibility left plus a year off to develop in a mid-major D-I system after a redshirt year? There are a lot of teams, even in Pittsburgh like Robert Morris, Duq or the St. Francis and Bucknells of the world, who I'm sure wouldn't mind a Cobo Diaz in their starting five.

Either way, he's on the shortlist for Joe's biggest/best recruit and he'll be getting paid to play basketball somewhere this time next year. And there's more season left!

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                    I thought I heard a story that both IUP and Michigan State offered him...but IUP was Division II and MSU was "only" D-I. Anyway, when Joe didn't have that "superstar" recruiting class this board clamored about in the summer of 2017, I think Cobo was the team's biggest recruit. Think about it: a 6-9 guy who can shoot from 3, play in the post, handle, play defense, rebound, score, assist, play three positions and have two years of eligibility left plus a year off to develop in a mid-major D-I system after a redshirt year? There are a lot of teams, even in Pittsburgh like Robert Morris, Duq or the St. Francis and Bucknells of the world, who I'm sure wouldn't mind a Cobo Diaz in their starting five.

Either way, he's on the shortlist for Joe's biggest/best recruit and he'll be getting paid to play basketball somewhere this time next year. And there's more season left!
                    This is a redemption year for him and Dante. Lot of factors but the fact remains they have one NCAA win in three years. I'll chalk up last year to awful luck between Malik's accident, suspensions, injuries, etc. Their freshmen year that team was good enough to make it (Norfleet and Daddy). They blew a few head-scratchers down the stretch.

Their sophomore year they went 28-4 (lost to Fairmont twice and Ship twice). Two of those losses came in OT and the other in the final 20 seconds. That was the Fairmont team that went to the national title game. Last year had every possible thing go wrong, and, on top of it, I'm not sure they had real great team chemistry.

They've had a lot of talent the past three years but also just missed on a couple key recruits/transfers. This was obviously the team they've been building up to for several years.

Enjoy it while this run lasts. Cobo's don't come around at this level very often. They'll sure miss him next year. This next month is going to go a long way in defining their legacy here. Cobo will leave as one of the great statistcial players in school history. I'd just love to seem him leave with a ring, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        This is a redemption year for him and Dante. Lot of factors but the fact remains they have one NCAA win in three years. I'll chalk up last year to awful luck between Malik's accident, suspensions, injuries, etc. Their freshmen year that team was good enough to make it (Norfleet and Daddy). They blew a few head-scratchers down the stretch.

Their sophomore year they went 28-4 (lost to Fairmont twice and Ship twice). Two of those losses came in OT and the other in the final 20 seconds. That was the Fairmont team that went to the national title game. Last year had every possible thing go wrong, and, on top of it, I'm not sure they had real great team chemistry.

They've had a lot of talent the past three years but also just missed on a couple key recruits/transfers. This was obviously the team they've been building up to for several years.

Enjoy it while this run lasts. Cobo's don't come around at this level very often. They'll sure miss him next year. This next month is going to go a long way in defining their legacy here. Cobo will leave as one of the great statistcial players in school history. I'd just love to seem him leave with a ring, too.

Comment

I want them to get one of those, too.

Comment

If he turned down a Michigan State offer to go to IUP then he's not too bright. As you said, probably Michigan State had "interest" and nothing more. Of course there's no way of telling weather that interest was the Izzo coming into town to watch a couple of his games and meet with him or a grad assistant stoping by his practice one afternoon and talking to the coach about him for a minute. Both extremes usually get painted as "serious interest!!" That said, he is a quality DII player and will probably be playing in Europe next year.

Comment

A pesky Seton Hill visits the KCAC tonight. I'll get some flack for this, but the Griffins were actually one of the better teams I saw live this season (and I've seen 21 of the 27 games 'live'). Granted, I think that was a 'one night wonder' but nonetheless.

Every team has a team that causes them some issues. Seton Hill has for whatever reason become that team to IUP.

Three years ago IUP lost down there in what has to be considered the greatest night in Seton Hill basketball history (and cost IUP an NCAA bid). Last year's finale was the now infamous goon fest. IUP won the game but lost the season.

Whatever the reason the Griffins rise up for this game. Joe talks about teams 'rising up' all the time. Seton Hill actually does.

IUP's press was useless in the first meeting this year, and Trevor Blondin was able to drive the hole as if he was Kawhi Leonard. Nathan Davis looked like J.J. Reddick in his Duke days. I thought they had IUP incredibly well-scouted.

I think tonight is much different. I don't want to say IUP was flat in the first game but they needed to get punched in the face a few times before they woke up. After watching Davis and Blondin light them up on film I'm sure they'll be a little more prepared for this one. The Griffins took away the trey -- holding IUP to its lowest attempts (and makes) of the whole season (2-16).

Lots at stake tonight. Lots of distractions, too. Senior night. Big crowd. Families in town. Seton Hill is a good team with two great players. Take care of business and head up town afterward. Pounce on this team early. We don't need to risk another Blondin/Davis show.

So, while, yes, I typically worry too much ... Seton Hill has a proven track record of being a pest. Here's to it not happening again tonight.

Comment

Upset brewing?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X