Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    How about a comparison to Ashton Smith! Ashton might have been the best 4 year guard Joe has ever coached.
    That will be tomorrow's homework assignment !

First pick: Cobo or Webb ?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
      How about a comparison to Ashton Smith! Ashton might have been the best 4 year guard Joe has ever coached.
      Bravado has had so many great guards in his time here----Ashton, Sand Man, Stewart, Devante, Norfleet, Dyer, et al. I would have a very hard time in selecting "the best" one. They all brought something great to the game. It's really a pretty amazing collection that he has had in his backcourts.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        Bravado has had so many great guards in his time here----Ashton, Sand Man, Stewart, Devante, Norfleet, Dyer, et al. I would have a very hard time in selecting "the best" one. They all brought something great to the game. It's really a pretty amazing collection that he has had in his backcourts.

-
        Yep. Next year it will be the Malik and Armoni show. Armoni will be the next great one.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          That will be tomorrow's homework assignment !

First pick: Cobo or Webb ?
          I'll take the Mighty Webb. Absolute monster in the low post. D-II POY.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
            I'll take the Mighty Webb. Absolute monster in the low post. D-II POY.

-
            Really hate to snub Cobo, but Webb was my first reaction too.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Looking back at that team:

Devante: 16.5 ppg
                Dyer: 14.2 ppg
                Norfleet: 11.4 ppg
                Daddy: 11.0 ppg
                Jeffers: 8.1 ppg
                Hanner: 5.5 ppg
                Cottrell: 3.6 ppg (with 60 blocks)
                Manny Yarde: 3.0 ppg

That team was much better at the FT line compared to this one (almost a full 10 points better at 79%). They are about a wash from deep.

That team only scored 74.53 per game (but only gave up 62.75 per game).

It's sick to thing back to that guard trio of Chance, Norfleet and Dyer. Recall they took a while to kind of learn to co-exist.

Comment

They are very different. I've seen Cobo play 120-some games. I can't tell you how many nights you see him play and then look at the boxscore afterward and are like WTF?

He's a statisic machine. There's nights it feels like he has 8 points and then the boxscore says 27 points, 10 boards and 5 assists.

He's not nearly as flashy as Webb but is every bit as effective. Different teams and different IUP styles.

Cobo should soon join Webb with a retired number.

Daddy Ugbede was another one that I think goes underrated. Offensively he was nearly unstoppable (when Joe would cut him loose). If he wasn't a foul machine he could have had gigantic numbers. His spin move was the best I've ever seen.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      As time passes we tend to remember certain players in certain ways. DeVante Chance often gets recalled as almost having an immortal senior season.

It may surprise many of you that Dante Lombardi is having, statistically, a nearly identical senior season.

Keep in mind Chance played 38 games as a senior. Dante has played just 28 so far.

Minutes per game: Lombardi 36.2 - Chance 38

FG%: Lombardi 44% Chance 46%

3-point%: Lombardi 38% Chance 40%

FT%: Lombardi 82% Chance 80%

PPG: Lombardi 16.8 Chance 16.5

Assists: Lombardi 155 Chance 217

TOs: Lombardi 96 Chance 130

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other or anything but thought it may surprise many on here to see how nearly identical their numbers actually are when you put them on paper beside one another.

Another comparison: Chance's senior team which advanced to the national final stood at 23-5 entering the PSAC Tournament. This year's team is currently at 26-2.

So, just for fun, put the 2018-19 team up against the 2014-15 team. Not so easy.
                      The final question during postgame interviews with players would always be, "do you have any other thoughts?" Devante ended every interview with "(insert IUP's record), Hawk Family. On to the next." I don't know why I remember that. I do remember interviewing Marcel once while he was eating a half-cold leftover corn dog the concessions people sent down the locker room.

Comment

• Comment

For those of us less familiar with IUP's history (and, frankly, who are too lazy to look it up), do you happen to know the postseason finishes of those previous top IUP teams? Was the '09-'10 team the one that lost on a last-second shot to WLU in the Regional Final on the Hilltop (which I seem to have memory of)? And how did those others fare in the postseason?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                            For those of us less familiar with IUP's history (and, frankly, who are too lazy to look it up), do you happen to know the postseason finishes of those previous top IUP teams? Was the '09-'10 team the one that lost on a last-second shot to WLU in the Regional Final on the Hilltop (which I seem to have memory of)? And how did those others fare in the postseason?

The '09-10 and the '14-15 teams both made the national title game but both lost. As discussed yesterday the '14-'15 team didn't have a tremendous regular season (23-5) but caught fire at the end.

IUP made the Final Four in '94-95, '02, '10 and '15

Elight Eight in 94-95, '00, '02, '10, '15

What many call the best team in school history was the '09-'10 team (33-3) although it's debatable for sure with the '94-'95 group. The '09-'10 team won the Regional at WL and eventually lost the title game to Cal Poly Ponoma.

Comment

How is .929 better than .960 winning %?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                How is .929 better than .960 winning %?
                                Most wins ... of course they play more games now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X