Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The '09-10 and the '14-15 teams both made the national title game but both lost. As discussed yesterday the '14-'15 team didn't have a tremendous regular season (23-5) but caught fire at the end.

IUP made the Final Four in '94-95, '02, '10 and '15

Elight Eight in 94-95, '00, '02, '10, '15

What many call the best team in school history was the '09-'10 team (33-3) although it's debatable for sure with the '94-'95 group. The '09-'10 team won the Regional at WL and eventually lost the title game to Cal Poly Ponoma.
    Thanks, IUPbig. So, it must have been the '10-'11 team that lost a Regional Final to WLU in a tight late-game situation. I recall attending a game like that--in many ways a game that launched the WLU run of Elite 8s, but I just couldn't remember (again, being too lazy to look it up) which year was the start of that run and, really, marked a kind of changing of the guard between IUP and WLU in this region. Who knows--maybe this year will mark a changing of the guard back to a situation in which IUP is the team to beat in the coming run. Must have been '10-'11 then.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      Thanks, IUPbig. So, it must have been the '10-'11 team that lost a Regional Final to WLU in a tight late-game situation. I recall attending a game like that--in many ways a game that launched the WLU run of Elite 8s, but I just couldn't remember (again, being too lazy to look it up) which year was the start of that run and, really, marked a kind of changing of the guard between IUP and WLU in this region. Who knows--maybe this year will mark a changing of the guard back to a situation in which IUP is the team to beat in the coming run. Must have been '10-'11 then.

They haven't played that often -- surprisingly. The last meeting was in 14-15 when IUP won the region down there. The year before WL won in 2OT -- something like 89-88 (that game was at East Stroudsburg in the second round). WL won in '10-11, 89-86 and in '12-13, 86-63. In this recent era, per se, WL leads the series 3-2. IUP leads the all-time series, 4-3.

Comment

They haven't played that often -- surprisingly. The last meeting was in 14-15 when IUP won the region down there. The year before WL won in 2OT -- something like 89-88 (that game was at East Stroudsburg in the second round). WL won in '10-11, 89-86 and in '12-13, 86-63. In this recent era, per se, WL leads the series 3-2. IUP leads the all-time series, 4-3.
        Yes, it was the '10-'11 game I'm thinking of. I believe Scooter Renkin had a 30-foot heave at the buzzer just miss off the front rim. I was in the SRO crowd that night, and I recall it felt like a kind of "changing of the guard" game.

But you're right--for as much as a potential WLU-IUP match-up looms large in everyone's minds, it's odd how infrequently it's come down to that.

Comment

Yes, it was the '10-'11 game I'm thinking of. I believe Scooter Renkin had a 30-foot heave at the buzzer just miss off the front rim. I was in the SRO crowd that night, and I recall it felt like a kind of "changing of the guard" game.

But you're right--for as much as a potential WLU-IUP match-up looms large in everyone's minds, it's odd how infrequently it's come down to that.
          The field has improved so drastically in the past couple years. The PSAC East has really emerged and started emphasizing basketball. That divison last year was just sick.

You guys saw Ship and they didn't even win the East. It was brutal.

Add to it Fairmont came back to power and Wheeling Jesuit had that run.

I wouldn't say the odds are great WL and IUP play this year but it is certainly possible. It will hopefully be here for the first time. Amazingly. The KCAC can be brutal.

IUP and WL have one NCAA win combined in the past two years (IUP two years ago). That's all the proof needed to show how much better the Atlantic has become.

Comment

The field has improved so drastically in the past couple years. The PSAC East has really emerged and started emphasizing basketball. That divison last year was just sick.

You guys saw Ship and they didn't even win the East. It was brutal.

Add to it Fairmont came back to power and Wheeling Jesuit had that run.

I wouldn't say the odds are great WL and IUP play this year but it is certainly possible. It will hopefully be here for the first time. Amazingly. The KCAC can be brutal.

IUP and WL have one NCAA win combined in the past two years (IUP two years ago). That's all the proof needed to show how much better the Atlantic has become.
            Yes...and only three NCAA appearances in the last two years!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              Yes...and only three NCAA appearances in the last two years!
              We werw decimated at the end. Had we made it we'd have looked as bad as you guys did. :)

Comment

Comment

Perhaps I'm forgetting here but West Liberty has never played in Indiana. They've all been in West Liberty minus the one game at East Stroudsburg. Even Webb's team didnt' host the regional (which was a joke).

Comment

Great rivalry! I think it would be diminished by playing a regular season game. Kind of intense that every time we play it is a win or die affair! If both teams take care of business, we will meet in the Regional Finals with a trip to the Elite 8 and a shot at the NC on the line...Seems appropriate for a WLU/IUP game!

Comment

Perhaps I'm forgetting here but West Liberty has never played in Indiana. They've all been in West Liberty minus the one game at East Stroudsburg. Even Webb's team didnt' host the regional (which was a joke).

Comment

Goodness that's right. Getting old.

I recall after the 14-15 season there were at least conversations about doing a regular season series.

The IUP side claimed Crutch wouldn't agree to play up here due to PSAC officials.

The WL side claimed IUP wanted a 2-for-1 series.

Regardless, as we'll never really know the story, it never happened.

IUP instead signed in to that four-year deal with Fairmont State (2 home / 2 away). I don't know if it is extended past this year. I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          Great rivalry! I think it would be diminished by playing a regular season game. Kind of intense that every time we play it is a win or die affair! If both teams take care of business, we will meet in the Regional Finals with a trip to the Elite 8 and a shot at the NC on the line...Seems appropriate for a WLU/IUP game!
                          I'd like to see it play out but who knows. There are some real good teams in the field this year. It's far from a given, put it that way. I just hope to avoid PSAC vs PSAC or MEC vs MEC games in the first round -- as much as possible, anyway. Some of those would likely be the fourth meeting.

WL got stuck playing Wheeling four times a couple years back. Same with Gannon and Slippery Rock in '14-15.

Comment

I'd like to see it play out but who knows. There are some real good teams in the field this year. It's far from a given, put it that way. I just hope to avoid PSAC vs PSAC or MEC vs MEC games in the first round -- as much as possible, anyway. Some of those would likely be the fourth meeting.

WL got stuck playing Wheeling four times a couple years back. Same with Gannon and Slippery Rock in '14-15.
                            Still have heart burn with some of the questionable seeding that resulted in this first ground game! Yes we played each other four times but this game was actually the third time in less than a month. As I recall this was the same year the NCAA said they were going to take steps to try and insure teams wouldn't meet for the fourth time in the first round...guess they didn't try very hard.

Comment

And while we're talking about tourney games with WJU, it's always worth mentioning that Grossenbacher got that buzzer beating shot off in time in 2017.

Comment

And while we're talking about tourney games with WJU, it's always worth mentioning that Grossenbacher got that buzzer beating shot off in time in 2017.

My buddy Bruce and his crew were the ones who called it off.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X