Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    If Chucky isn't starting .... call me confused. It's not even close.
    I like him as a spark off the bench but he has to play double digit minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
      I like him as a spark off the bench but he has to play double digit minutes.
      I agree but Bravado took way too long to make that change tonight. Everybody knew Willem was a liability against UPJ.

Comment

Cobo - 19 & 11

Malik - 17 (5 TOs too much but a solid outing)

Dante - 16 & 5:1 assist/TO

Chucky - 8 & 3 boards in 18 minutes ... huge defensive game

Team stats:

* 67% FTs ... gotta get better here
        * 29.6% from deep (8-27) ... not great
        * 40.9% from the field overall ... not great
        * Lost the boards 35-30 ... how does that happen?
        * Only 7 TOs ... fantastic

* Personal fouls: UPJ 21 IUP 16 .... can already hear the UPJ rant (again)

Overall, it was a pretty good performance. Beating a pretty good, scrapy team for for a third time isn't easy. They know each other so well.

UPJ brought a nice crowd tonight. There was more fans there tonight than UPJ usually has for home games. They had some freshmen moments tonight which is expected on this type of stage. Krompka couldn't stay clean. That killed them. Absolutely killed them. Their whole offense changes when he's either not in the game or playing with foul fear.

Josh Wise may be as annoying as sin ... but he's a REAL good player.

Saturday is going to show a team every bit as big as IUP -- and as talented. Willem and Marko have to perform way better than they did tonight. WAY better.

Enjoy this win against UPJ tonight. Next year may be a whole different story.

Comment

Not that's its overly relevant at this point, but looking back at the boxscore from IUP's 80-75 victory over West Chester in December ... couple observations:

* Cobo (25 & 11) and Armoni (24) had huge games
          * Dante 16 pts and just 1 TO (4-14 from the field)
          * Chucky wasn't a factor as his role hadn't been defined at that point. He played an uneventful 6 minutes.
          * IUP won the game at the FT line ... going 24-30

* I recall IUP looked extremely tired in that game as it was coming off highly-emotional wins against Shippensburg and at Fairmont State. In comparison, WCU had 10 days off prior to the game. It was also the last game before XMAS break when, really, you never know what to expect.

* Both teams were awful from the outside: WCU went 5-28 and IUP was 8-28

* IUP lost the boards 46-35, and both teams played fairly clean with WCU committing 12 TOs and IUP 10 TOs.

* WCU had four guys in double figures but shot just 31.6% for the night

* I recall they made it very difficult on IUP to get clean shots off from three-point range and played with a distinct physicality.

* Joe hardly used the bench at all in the game. Armoni played 36 minutes, Cobo (35), Malik (32) and Dante (32). Willem fouled out. Danscecs actually played (4) minutes as Dante was also in foul trouble.

* After WCU's loss in the KCAC the Rams went on to win 14 straight.

* WCU is one of the few teams that matches up well to IUP size-wise. They have several 6'4" guards and are big under the basket.

* IUP wasn't pressing a whole lot at that point in the season. That has changed since and WCU struggled mightily with ESU's pressure last week.

Comment

Getting down to crunch time. No team will be easy the rest of the way. Hopefully IUP plays better on Saturday then last night. Chucky is going to have to play a huge role the rest of the way! Finally, Joe is giving him big minutes!!! He's a spark plug!

Marco looked awkward around the rim yesterday. Hopefully that was a one game thing. (The refs letting guys beat on him probably didn't help)

Comment

IUP got three on West First Team ... Cobo, Malik and Dante.

Cobo named West Athlete of the Year

Cobo's POY makes 6 straight seasons an IUP player has won the award.

Comment

It appears PCN will be broadcasting the title games on Sunday. Girls title game looks to be live, while men's appears to be on tape delay at 6 p.m. The men's game will be the IUP-TV broadcast I'm guessing...so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                  It appears PCN will be broadcasting the title games on Sunday. Girls title game looks to be live, while men's appears to be on tape delay at 6 p.m. The men's game will be the IUP-TV broadcast I'm guessing...so there's that.
                  I was really hoping they were going to use upgraded announcers like the CIAA and MEC does.

Comment

• Comment

#smackdown

Comment

Pissed off Willem wrecks havoc

Comment

That rebounding concern may not be as dire as you think. West Chester was killer on the boards throughout the year, one of the top rebounding clubs in D-II (especially offensively). Bottom line, you blew their doors off when it counted.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                            That rebounding concern may not be as dire as you think. West Chester was killer on the boards throughout the year, one of the top rebounding clubs in D-II (especially offensively). Bottom line, you blew their doors off when it counted.

Comment

Disappointing crowd numbers wise, considering it was a playoff game, but fairly loud and engaged considering there was no student presence at all. I thought at least the cheerleaders usually stuck around during spring break if there were playoff games.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                                Disappointing crowd numbers wise, considering it was a playoff game, but fairly loud and engaged considering there was no student presence at all. I thought at least the cheerleaders usually stuck around during spring break if there were playoff games.
                                Screw 'em. Didn't need 'em. Us townies did better anyway.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X