Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

My take:

1) I won't call any individual player out because they had a great year and a bad game can happen.
    2) The flat starts to games continued yesterday but they couldn't over come it this time.
    3) Hey Joe, where was the adjustments last night? You must change the tempo, something!!! PRESS, change the offensive attack, UGH!!! You should've pressed 2 or 3 minutes into the second half when you came out flat again!!! Yes, sometimes you have to go outside of your comfort zone!!!
    4) THE IUP FANS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Round of 32 game and that place was dead as hell. IUP has the lamest fans around! They are dead at football games and basketball games. Absolutely terrible!!! The guy that screams IUP at the games should be commended for his efforts. Unfortunately, the fans around him keep saying that someone should shoot that guy. Get the F out of here! He's a true fan unlike the rest of the dead heads!!!
    5) Did anyone else notice the West Liberty fans rooting against IUP?
    6) These players created great memories, it's just sad that it had to end this way.

Comment

• Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
      My take:

1) I won't call any individual player out because they had a great year and a bad game can happen.
      2) The flat starts to games continued yesterday but they couldn't over come it this time.
      3) Hey Joe, where was the adjustments last night? You must change the tempo, something!!! PRESS, change the offensive attack, UGH!!! You should've pressed 2 or 3 minutes into the second half when you came out flat again!!! Yes, sometimes you have to go outside of your comfort zone!!!
      4) THE IUP FANS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Round of 32 game and that place was dead as hell. IUP has the lamest fans around! They are dead at football games and basketball games. Absolutely terrible!!! The guy that screams IUP at the games should be commended for his efforts. Unfortunately, the fans around him keep saying that someone should shoot that guy. Get the F out of here! He's a true fan unlike the rest of the dead heads!!!
      5) Did anyone else notice the West Liberty fans rooting against IUP?
      6) These players created great memories, it's just sad that it had to end this way.

Comment

Oh I agree about the old men fans!!! IUP has no younger fans, period!!! It was all old men around me Saturday night that wanted to kill loud "IUP Chant" guy! That guy is just trying to fire up the fans and team! This fan base has no idea what cheering loudly does for the momentum and energy or the team! That team went 30-3 creating their own energy! What a damn shame that these fans don't get it. To root against Dante is a damn shame! Get behind your team for crying out loud!

Comment

• Comment

• Right. I waited 8 years for the Regional to be hosted there. It was disappointing. Saturday I thought had a good buzz. But again, I firmly believe there were more fans there on Saturday too.

Tough too when the students who showed up last night had zero interest in really watching the game even. Their mannerisms were awful. I would have killed for the tournament to be on my campus while I was there a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                Right. I waited 8 years for the Regional to be hosted there. It was disappointing. Saturday I thought had a good buzz. But again, I firmly believe there were more fans there on Saturday too.

Tough too when the students who showed up last night had zero interest in really watching the game even. Their mannerisms were awful. I would have killed for the tournament to be on my campus while I was there a few years ago.

Per the box score there were just over 1900 on Saturday and 1600 last night. In a 4000 seat arena. For NCAA tournament games. On Saturday and Sunday nights. Pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                  Interesting you say that about WL fans.
                  Not cheering for the host #1 seed who is supposed to be better than you and that is a negative. Interesting take. The goal for WLU and their fans is to win the regional and advance to the Elite 8. Probably an easier route to that goal playing Mercyhurst in what from an atmosphere stand point will more resemble a preseason scrimmage vice playing the #1 seed at home before the home crowd. The goal is to win another Regional title...if the easier game is Mercyhurst, I'm rooting for Mercyhurst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                    Per the box score there were just over 1900 on Saturday and 1600 last night. In a 4000 seat arena. For NCAA tournament games. On Saturday and Sunday nights. Pathetic.

Pathetic.

Comment

Last night:

* New name: The KCFH (The Kovalchick Center and Funeral Home). What an embarrassing turnout. Props to the senior citizen crowd. They show up every game -- football and basketball. However, ... not really sure the 'college atmosphere' at a game should be the same as at the Early Bird Special at The Valley Dairy. That said, that crowd (I think) wanted to get going. The team gave it nothing to 'get going' about. Side note: Amazing to see other schools have their cheerleaders there and IUP's were nowhere to be found. The Co-Op store even fronted all the students tickets last night and none still showed up. Sad. Here's another great one if anybody else noticed: IUP came out for warm-ups and and the 'house DJ' played the 1980s song Lady in Red. Seriously. At a college basketball game ... never seen you look so lovely as you do tonight ... #holy-puke

* When Fairmont State blew that lead in OT late Saturday night I knew IUP was done. Didn't say it on here, but, ... Look at the PSAC Championship game. Mercyhurst was awful offensively and IUP still barely beat them.

* Joe's a great coach but he just, after 12 years, still can't figure out that zone. They did NOTHING to change the flow of that game. They let Mercyhurst dictate the terms from the opening tip. It was disgusting to watch. He had to change something. Anything. But, it never came. Joe had a team built to press ... yet it never came. Well, it did. For a minute or two. Those 'minutes' were No.'s 34 and 35 of the game. You cannot let a slow-down team like Mercyhurst play 'slow-down' for 38 of the 40 minutes. It's mind-numbing. Yet, they do it year after year. Is it some sort of ego thing trying to beat them at their own game?

* The slow starts were baffling. Without getting in to the details I'm not sure how you keep trotting out the same starting lineup that routinely kept getting you in a hole for the past month. Truth be told if WCU's Rokins didn't roll his ankle I'm not sure they even made it to last night.

* Minus Chucky they'd have been down 20+ at halftime. How it was only 9 was a miracle. It felt like 30.

* Joe spoke after the game about not liking the bracket and having a repeat of last weekend. While we can perhaps talk about that stuff as fans that wasn't the time or place.

* Disappointing ending to a really exciting season. They couldn't buy a bucket in the first half. Their shooting struggles at the horseshoe end continued last night (35.48% FG and 12.5% deep). They had good looks last night in the first half.

* Other side of the coin, Gary coached a phenomenal game. He uses timeouts better than any coach around. Any hint of an IUP run he immediately stopped the game to regroup. They took Cobo completely out and crushed Malik anytime he tried to come to the top of the key (where he's most dangerous). They routinely milked the shot clock to perfection. They also got to the line double that of IUP (29 to 14). Gary said after the game that for whatever the reason they are just a good match-up against IUP. They sure are. Ten game set likely is 5-5. IUP may have led in rebounding but Mercyhurst got nearly everyone that mattered.

What's next? Hard to say. Hate to use the 'rebuild' word. It won't be a total rebuild. Probably more of a re-tool -- to an extent. A decent core returns in Malik, Armoni and Chucky. Shawn Ulrich will come off redshirt underneath. Dom Keyes may finally make an appearance. There's a good class signed so far. The last two spots will likely go to transfers. If they are home runs, I think they could be a tournament team next year.

Hard to say how this year will be remembered. It was a 30-3 team, yet I'm not sure anybody ever thought they were a dominant team. The night at Fairmont so long ago was the most they looked the 'dominant' part. They just found ways to win over and over again.

It's hard to see two players such as Dante and Cobo leave with just two NCAA wins on their resume. Dante really carried them the past month -- and, again last night.

Comment

People can be critical of #12 if they want but it seemed he was the only one in the first half and most of the 2nd half that realized how things were going and showed any concern, urgency and effort to try to change the flow of the game including the coaching staff. Just an observation. Yeah maybe at times he tried to do too much but he sensed before anyone else that something needed to change. I'll take that any day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                          People can be critical of #12 if they want but it seemed he was the only one in the first half and most of the 2nd half that realized how things were going and showed any concern, urgency and effort to try to change the flow of the game including the coaching staff. Just an observation. Yeah maybe at times he tried to do too much but he sensed before anyone else that something needed to change. I'll take that any day.

Comment

He is a good player, now. As I recall, the real issue with him was weather daddy gave him more opportunities to play through first year and second year issues that he would have given to an equally regarded player coming out of HS. Also there were questions about weather other PG's on IUP maybe should have started over him but that he got the "dad nod." Last issue was weather IUP went after PG recruits or perhaps transfers that would be a direct challenge for him.

Obviously I don't follow IUP basketball but these were the concerns that I've seen echoed in posts here and in the occasional PM's I have gotten from some who follow IUP. It wasn't that he wasn't a good player, it just seemed that he was getting some dad preference that other players might not be getting.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              Not cheering for the host #1 seed who is supposed to be better than you and that is a negative. Interesting take. The goal for WLU and their fans is to win the regional and advance to the Elite 8. Probably an easier route to that goal playing Mercyhurst in what from an atmosphere stand point will more resemble a preseason scrimmage vice playing the #1 seed at home before the home crowd. The goal is to win another Regional title...if the easier game is Mercyhurst, I'm rooting for Mercyhurst.

In all honesty this is Division II. We tend to forget that often on here as we are a very small group on the basketball side. The VAST majority of people in that building yesterday had never heard of West Liberty. Or, perhaps, heard of them in passing. IUP doesn't exactly pack in knowledgeable basketball fans.

In my opinion, the fans you saw cheering for WL were probably enthralled with the pace, etc. Keep in mind they watch ugly PSAC West games year after year.

As somebody who sat through both games yesterday ... trust me ... the first game was WAY more exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                Make no mistake. Match-up wise, IUP would likely pound WLU (and both fan bases know it). So, naturally, IUP fans wanted to see FSU and WLU (good match-ups for them) and WLU fans were scared pants-less at the thought of IUP, so it was natural for them to lean Mercy. I wouldn't interpret IUP fans cheering for WLU as "unselfish." VSU was likely a worse match-up for you. There was perhaps a bit of self-interestedness involved there. Just human nature to cheer for the best match-up for your own team in future rounds.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X