Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    In all honesty this is Division II. We tend to forget that often on here as we are a very small group on the basketball side. The VAST majority of people in that building yesterday had never heard of West Liberty. Or, perhaps, heard of them in passing. IUP doesn't exactly pack in knowledgeable basketball fans.

In my opinion, the fans you saw cheering for WL were probably enthralled with the pace, etc. Keep in mind they watch ugly PSAC West games year after year.

As somebody who sat through both games yesterday ... trust me ... the first game was WAY more exciting.
    You could be right. I was basing my previous post on the premise that the fans were knowledgeable about match-ups. Not sure. [shrug]

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      Make no mistake. Match-up wise, IUP would likely pound WLU (and both fan bases know it). So, naturally, IUP fans wanted to see FSU and WLU (good match-ups for them) and WLU fans were scared pants-less at the thought of IUP, so it was natural for them to lean Mercy. I wouldn't interpret IUP fans cheering for WLU as "unselfish." VSU was likely a worse match-up for you. There was perhaps a bit of self-interestedness involved there. Just human nature to cheer for the best match-up for your own team in future rounds.

Comment

Will Bravado Joe be on the sidelines on opening night 2019?

Comment

Will Bravado Joe be on the sidelines on opening night 2019?
          Oh, you went there...

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            Not cheering for the host #1 seed who is supposed to be better than you and that is a negative. Interesting take. The goal for WLU and their fans is to win the regional and advance to the Elite 8. Probably an easier route to that goal playing Mercyhurst in what from an atmosphere stand point will more resemble a preseason scrimmage vice playing the #1 seed at home before the home crowd. The goal is to win another Regional title...if the easier game is Mercyhurst, I'm rooting for Mercyhurst.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                Oh, you went there...
                Legit question

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  He is a good player, now. As I recall, the real issue with him was weather daddy gave him more opportunities to play through first year and second year issues that he would have given to an equally regarded player coming out of HS. Also there were questions about weather other PG's on IUP maybe should have started over him but that he got the "dad nod." Last issue was weather IUP went after PG recruits or perhaps transfers that would be a direct challenge for him.

Obviously I don't follow IUP basketball but these were the concerns that I've seen echoed in posts here and in the occasional PM's I have gotten from some who follow IUP. It wasn't that he wasn't a good player, it just seemed that he was getting some dad preference that other players might not be getting.

Comment

• Good post.

The minutes thing is a theme with Joe guards. Devante Chance played almost 38 minutes a night. Brandon Spain too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                      My post was in agreement with you essentially
                      Hahahahahaha!!! You can't just agree with me like that! I'm not used to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                        Make no mistake. Match-up wise, IUP would likely pound WLU (and both fan bases know it). So, naturally, IUP fans wanted to see FSU and WLU (good match-ups for them) and WLU fans were scared pants-less at the thought of IUP, so it was natural for them to lean Mercy. I wouldn't interpret IUP fans cheering for WLU as "unselfish." VSU was likely a worse match-up for you. There was perhaps a bit of self-interestedness involved there. Just human nature to cheer for the best match-up for your own team in future rounds.
                        I'd hardly say "scared pants-less" of IUP. Healthy respect? Sure...but hardly scared. If I were a betting man (wink, wink), I'd call a WLU/IUP game a 50/50 affair. One thing for sure, it would have been very entertaining!

Now that said, of the two teams (Hurst and IUP), I think WLU would prefer to play Hurst. Remember, the goal is win the region and I think WLU's odds are better vs Hurst. So yea, I was rooting for Hurst...but not because I was scared pants-less of IUP!!!!

Comment

• Iup basketball

Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Legit question
                            Wait, are you saying Bravado Joe coaching next year is in doubt? Maybe he could follow Crutch to the Sunshine State Conference. Rumor is that Palm Beach Atlantic might be in the market!

Comment

• Comment

In all honesty this is Division II. We tend to forget that often on here as we are a very small group on the basketball side. The VAST majority of people in that building yesterday had never heard of West Liberty. Or, perhaps, heard of them in passing. IUP doesn't exactly pack in knowledgeable basketball fans.

In my opinion, the fans you saw cheering for WL were probably enthralled with the pace, etc. Keep in mind they watch ugly PSAC West games year after year.

As somebody who sat through both games yesterday ... trust me ... the first game was WAY more exciting.
                                Last edited by IUPTrackMan; 03-18-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X