• Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Morris Jr. - Erie Strong Vincent
    Malik - Farrel
    Armoni - Meadville
    Porterfield - Sharon

Joe is pulling major talent out of Northeast PA.
    Who did he get from northeastern pa?

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
      Who did he get from northeastern pa?
      Yeah ... lol my mistake. Northwestern PA.

Comment

It appears there is room for one more 'full ride' guy. Logic would certainly tell you it will be a post player.

Looking at next year's post:

Chucky Humphries (6'6", 200 lbs) - Certainly proved down the stretch he's capable of a real big season next winter. He should thrive in what will be a faster-paced team and lineup. His minutes will dramatically increase and he'll be in the starting lineup. He's a very strong defender with great speed and athletic ability.

Shawn Ulrich (6'9", 225 lbs) - Two years' eligibility after redshirting this past season. Word is he's a very aggressive and active player. He will pose a match-up problem as he can shoot from the outside and is also strong enough to bang inside.

Ethan Porterfield (6'9", 210 lbs) -- He's coming to IUP after finishing a stellar career at Sharon. He's projecting by many to be IUP's next elite big man but that is likely a year down the road. He needs to develop physically a bit in the weight room. Most see him as the next Cobo-type big man -- he runs the floor well and can shoot from all over. He signed with IUP early. Had he not, it's certainly possible he'd have got some lower D1 offers.

Dom Keyes (6'8", 225 lbs) -- The missing man. Nobody knows a thing about his whereabouts other than the Indiana Gazette article last fall (which stated he'd remain with the program after serving his one-year suspension). I'll say this ... his return would be one of Joe's biggest 'recruits' of the off-season. Keyes is a big-time, battle-tested lost post 'dawg'. He was the missing piece so badly needed this past season. He is a scrappy, physically-imposing defender and would be an elite shot blocker. He has two years' eligibility remaining after redshirting here two years ago and being removed from the program this past season.

So, with that said, what 'type' of big man do you want to see Joe add in the coming weeks? When you consider the roster (guards are loaded), do you want another Cobo-type finesse big or would you rather see a more traditional PSAC bruiser?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          It appears there is room for one more 'full ride' guy. Logic would certainly tell you it will be a post player.

Looking at next year's post:

Chucky Humphries (6'6", 200 lbs) - Certainly proved down the stretch he's capable of a real big season next winter. He should thrive in what will be a faster-paced team and lineup. His minutes will dramatically increase and he'll be in the starting lineup. He's a very strong defender with great speed and athletic ability.

Shawn Ulrich (6'9", 225 lbs) - Two years' eligibility after redshirting this past season. Word is he's a very aggressive and active player. He will pose a match-up problem as he can shoot from the outside and is also strong enough to bang inside.

Ethan Porterfield (6'9", 210 lbs) -- He's coming to IUP after finishing a stellar career at Sharon. He's projecting by many to be IUP's next elite big man but that is likely a year down the road. He needs to develop physically a bit in the weight room. Most see him as the next Cobo-type big man -- he runs the floor well and can shoot from all over. He signed with IUP early. Had he not, it's certainly possible he'd have got some lower D1 offers.

Dom Keyes (6'8", 225 lbs) -- The missing man. Nobody knows a thing about his whereabouts other than the Indiana Gazette article last fall (which stated he'd remain with the program after serving his one-year suspension). I'll say this ... his return would be one of Joe's biggest 'recruits' of the off-season. Keyes is a big-time, battle-tested lost post 'dawg'. He was the missing piece so badly needed this past season. He is a scrappy, physically-imposing defender and would be an elite shot blocker. He has two years' eligibility remaining after redshirting here two years ago and being removed from the program this past season.

So, with that said, what 'type' of big man do you want to see Joe add in the coming weeks? When you consider the roster (guards are loaded), do you want another Cobo-type finesse big or would you rather see a more traditional PSAC bruiser?

Comment

I see a lot changing in the post-Dante/Cobo era. They will have a much different lineup style next season -- much faster, bigger guards, more offensive explosiveness, way more guard depth, etc.

Three ultra-athletic, big, fast guards. All shooters and slashers. Their press should be crazy next season. Add to it two big-time deep shooters in Bryce and KJ. Anthony White can also definitely be a spark guy.

I know the Joe method. We all do. But, ... he's going to have the bodies to go deep next season. It could be time for a change. I'm not talking something radical. But, he could keep the big three (Malik, Armoni and Morris) all around 30 minutes and the other three get around 10 minutes. Keeps everybody more fresh.

I also think you see a different Malik. We've heard grumblings about his relationship with Dante. He may not feel as much pressure to create next season.

I'm pretty excited to see this new edition.

My opinion based on the roster: The last big needs to be a muscle big. I didn't like how easy Mercyhurst was able to shut down Cobo in the last game. If a Daddy Ugbede is out there ... get him.

One thing for sure ... this isn't a rebuild-season roster. This team will have very high expectations. This last signing is a big one.

Comment

https://iupathletics.com/news/2019/4...r-30-team.aspx

Hopefully he's here one more year. Stock is rising.

Comment

I'll be shocked if he makes it past next season. Maybe one more here then moving on up! Future IUP head coach after Joe??? That's probably 7 years away.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                  I'll be shocked if he makes it past next season. Maybe one more here then moving on up! Future IUP head coach after Joe??? That's probably 7 years away.

Not sure. IUP24 has a tent outside the KCAC with a #FreeKevinReynolds sign.

All seriousness I could see Payne leaving at any time. Can't blame him. A big school is going to swipe him up.

I just wonder if he's still mopping the floor with our guys in practice on a daily basis? He did start at Auburn for several years.

Comment

Not sure. IUP24 has a tent outside the KCAC with a #FreeKevinReynolds sign.

All seriousness I could see Payne leaving at any time. Can't blame him. A big school is going to swipe him up.

I just wonder if he's still mopping the floor with our guys in practice on a daily basis? He did start at Auburn for several years.
                    Outside the KCAC? I'm chained to Morrow Fieldhouse holding it up.

#FreeKevinReynolds

Comment

I heard Payne on the radio after IUP beat WCU in the first round of the tournament and he talked glowingly about working under Joe (interesting since I have heard that it's an awful assignment lol). However, he said he enjoys the atmosphere around the program and is very happy doing what he's doing. I don't see him here much longer. Then again, nobody expected Kelly Mazzante to still be around either.

Either would be making more money working in the field they got their degree in. No doubt there. Only head coaches make actual cash at non-D1 programs. Even then, you better be in the right situation. That guy at Clarion made 50K. How much do you have to love basketball to do that job for that salary?

Is Mazzante married? I know she played in the WNBA, which probably didn't pay her a ton. But, if she's married and her husband has a cushy job, maybe she's not out seeking a big paycheck. I know it's been well documented that she has little to no interest in being a head coach and, as such, is happy at IUP in a great position with Tom.

#FreeKevinReynolds

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                        Outside the KCAC? I'm chained to Morrow Fieldhouse holding it up.

#FreeKevinReynolds

#cess-pool

Comment

#cess-pool
                          All about The Rock.

#FreeKevinReynolds

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                            All about The Rock.

#FreeKevinReynolds
                            As I like to say .... F that rock.

Grady has one year left with Till. Maybe next year he won't cry at the KCAC. But ... he probably will. No doubt.

I try and stay calm on here. SRU twitter has led me astray. F 'em.

Last SRU win in Indiana ... 1991. Wow.

KR at IUP? 0-13

#gymteachers

Comment

One-time Joe signee Blake Morrow (who bailed last August) is now leaving Queens (NC).

Comment

Last SRU win in Indiana ... 1991. Wow.

KR at IUP? 0-13

#gymteachers
                                28 straight wins at home is insane. The fact that SRU hasn't been exactly a doormat most of the years makes it even more mind-boggling.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X