Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

So judging how the last several seasons the end of the bench seems to always change year to year (except for Tony Rocco...I miss Tony Time), I don't think it would be a stretch to think any of Shawn Ulrich, Dom Keyes, Alan Glover Jr. and/or Anthony White won't be back on the team next year. And there always seems to be a late signee no one knows about until right before the semester starts. With Shawndale Jones in, does that make KJ Rhodes or Bryce Radford candidates for a redshirt to come in when Malik graduates?

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
      So judging how the last several seasons the end of the bench seems to always change year to year (except for Tony Rocco...I miss Tony Time), I don't think it would be a stretch to think any of Shawn Ulrich, Dom Keyes, Alan Glover Jr. and/or Anthony White won't be back on the team next year. And there always seems to be a late signee no one knows about until right before the semester starts. With Shawndale Jones in, does that make KJ Rhodes or Bryce Radford candidates for a redshirt to come in when Malik graduates?

Ulrich is confirmed coming back. I'd heavily lean on White returning, too. He's pretty bought in to the program and has actually become a part of it (somewhat rare for a walk-on). The luxury White provides is he wouldn't be a walk-on at most other schools in the league. He could have a small, regular role this year as a defensive pest. Glover Jr. ... who knows. Physically, he's a monster, and I know Joe was fairly high on him. He's that odd D2 size in that he's only 6'4" but a solid 235 lbs. I'm sure Tort would love to have him. Keyes has essentially gone off the grid so who knows. I sure hope he comes back. But, we'll know real soon. If another post player turns up signed, that means Keyes is out.

I'd say it's extremely likely either Radford or Rhodes gets a redshirt this season. It will really come down to what starting lineup Joe is going to run. As of right now he certainly has enough to run a second five, although we know that won't happen in his system.

The obvious fear of redshirting freshmen is they don't stick around. The bigger challenge may be where Rhodes and Radford fit in the coming years. Malik has one more year left but the other 'Big 3' guards will be here the next three seasons. Great problem to have, however.

They've certainly achieved some buzz with this incoming class.

As a whole, they will be a totally different team next season. Not saying better or worse but they will be tremendously faster and more athletic. The guard foursome, if they can play nice, is incredibly strong (and big).

Comment

Incoming recruit Ethan Porterfield, of Sharon High, was named to the Class 3A all-state second team today. He was on the Class 4A second team last year as a junior and scored more than 1,500 career points.

Comment

https://www.erienewsnow.com/clip/148...er_ErieNewsNow

Comment

Interesting comments by Morris. In particular, he mentioned they (IUP) want to play with more guards.

That certainly sheds some light on the Shawndale Jones signing.

I wouldn't rule out the starting lineup of:

Malik Miller (6'4")
            Shawndale Jones (6'4")
            Armoni Foster (6'3")
            David Morris (6'2")
            Chucky Humphries (6'6")

Then the big boys come in off the bench along with the other guards. That would be Joe's most-athletic, fastest starting five ever. Those are all big guards, too. It's not like a bunch of 5'11" guys. Shawndale is a BIG, physical dude for a guard.

There would be nights in the West you could argue you'll need more muscle and size on the floor but at the same time there's no way a slow team like SRU is keeping up with them for 40 minutes. At the pace they could push they'd have Till types in the locker room by the second media timeout.

Comment

You sound like Boat.

Comment

• Comment

Those are real issues. The Dante factor is out of the equation. That can be interpreted many different ways. That factor extended beyond the court, too. I'll leave it at that.

Tell you what ... he pulls that redshirt crap with Morris or Shawndale ... I'm done with him. As you said, it has got real old.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Those are real issues. The Dante factor is out of the equation. That can be interpreted many different ways. That factor extended beyond the court, too. I'll leave it at that.

Tell you what ... he pulls that redshirt crap with Morris or Shawndale ... I'm done with him. As you said, it has got real old.

Comment

Joe beleives in the 'build up' process. So, he likes to make sure the classes are balanced and they will be strong yearly ... with a big run every couple years. Last year was that team and, well, it didn't end as most expected.

That team was very good (30-3) but had flaws. As the season wore on they became more and more exposed. I'll never remember that group as a dominat team. They were gritty and won a ton of close games. But, they rarely came out and hammered people. They couldn't play in the first half, either.

Joe's reluctance to play Chucky more and his insistence to keep playing Willem ... that got real exposed toward the end. Chucky was one of their best players.

It was also a slow-ish team. He appears to be going for a whole new look this season.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Impossible to redshirt Morris. He did that already at TSU.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          Impossible to redshirt Morris. He did that already at TSU.
                          It's just never worked and they continue to do it year after year.

A couple years ago they sat Danielak and then ended up starting a walk-on the second half of that season. Then he sat Keyes on a team that couldn't rebound. Last year it was Ulrich, who is a legit big and rebounder -- on a team that didn't rebound well against better teams.

All three of them were entering their junior seasons so they weren't scrawny freshmen. It begs the question if he didn't think they were ready ... why sign them?

Comment

Joe got Scooter Renkin (who played 8 minutes in the national title game) to redshirt the next year so he'd be available longer. I'm not sure if this message board was around then, but how did/would that decision go over?

ALSO: Tony C is going into the Indiana County Sports Hall of Fame. If you're a fan of the written word: https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...4cd45b7e5.html

Comment

Joe got Scooter Renkin (who played 8 minutes in the national title game) to redshirt the next year so he'd be available longer. I'm not sure if this message board was around then, but how did/would that decision go over?

ALSO: Tony C is going into the Indiana County Sports Hall of Fame. If you're a fan of the written word: https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...4cd45b7e5.html
                              That was a great article.

Comment

Not very agreeable. I believe that was the same year that a frosh named Devon Cottrell got a redshirt as well. I personally found it as frustrating but Cottrell probably did need a year to soak things up.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X