X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...-international

Comment

• Re: Iup basketball

Former IUP assistant Brian Urso already in hot water at Pittsburgh Central Catholic. See WPXI story.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Former IUP assistant Brian Urso already in hot water at Pittsburgh Central Catholic. See WPXI story.
        That's nothing. Read the PG story. RMU is looking into whether he committed NCAA violations while still working there.

Comment

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/06/04/...at-division-ii

Wonder who Coach Cal knows in the D2 ranks? Hmmmm. The last paragraph was interesting.

Not that there's room for him, per se, but, ... favors are favors. I think Cal could afford to pay admission at IUP.
          Maybe Brad could be the player-coach at his dad's alma mater.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            That's nothing. Read the PG story. RMU is looking into whether he committed NCAA violations while still working there.
            https://usatodayhss.com/2019/pittsbu...ion-recruiting

Comment

If it's any condolence, EVERY coach in EVERY sport at Central Catholic gets accused of 'recruiting' athletes there. This story goes back decades.

For those not in the know, Pittsburgh Central Catholic is a private school within the city (near the Pitt campus). This is the alma mater of Dan Marino (among many other stars).

It has had a long-standing reputation of 'somehow' landing many of the top football players in the WPIAL (and beyond) on a yearly basis. Coincidence, I'm sure.

If the accusations are true ... what a rookie mistake. Emails leave paper trails. Every time.

Comment

If it's any condolence, EVERY coach in EVERY sport at Central Catholic gets accused of 'recruiting' athletes there. This story goes back decades.

For those not in the know, Pittsburgh Central Catholic is a private school within the city (near the Pitt campus). This is the alma mater of Dan Marino (among many other stars).

It has had a long-standing reputation of 'somehow' landing many of the top football players in the WPIAL (and beyond) on a yearly basis. Coincidence, I'm sure.

If the accusations are true ... what a rookie mistake. Emails leave paper trails. Every time.
                Not to open a can of works, but isn't this is pretty much true of any private school? Erie Cathedral Prep gets accused of the same thing. I know very little about this topic, but I thought that some level of selling your high school program to prospective students is within the rules. For example, I am certain that C Prep made a run at McDowell star Will Jeffress, but I would assume that the McDowell coaching staff attempted to sell him on staying in his district and attending McDowell.

Full disclosure ... my kids attend McDowell and are involved in athletics (not the big sports like football or basketball), but I am not one of the C Prep "haters." I focus most of my Erie sports-watching on Gannon.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                  Not to open a can of works, but isn't this is pretty much true of any private school? Erie Cathedral Prep gets accused of the same thing. I know very little about this topic, but I thought that some level of selling your high school program to prospective students is within the rules. For example, I am certain that C Prep made a run at McDowell star Will Jeffress, but I would assume that the McDowell coaching staff attempted to sell him on staying in his district and attending McDowell.

Full disclosure ... my kids attend McDowell and are involved in athletics (not the big sports like football or basketball), but I am not one of the C Prep "haters." I focus most of my Erie sports-watching on Gannon.
                  Prep did make a run at Jeffress but when Prep refused to pay his tuition and they didn't want daddy near the bench/practices, Jeffress stayed at McDowell.

Comment

Prep has the luxury of being one of just two private high schools in Northwest PA. In my experience, they also have a grossly overinflated academic reputation. I've met quite a few Prep alumni and not one struck me as well-educated or adequately prepared. Anyway, they discount tuition based on need and get kids to play sports for them who would be stuck in overlooked places like Meadville and Fairview. Their parents get to brag that their kid goes to Prep. The one thing I admire is the sense of fraternity among alumni. They're a loyal bunch. My supposition is - in Erie and to Erie people - a Prep HS diploma can be more valuable than your college degree. You don't see that with the Pittsburgh Catholic high schools.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      Prep did make a run at Jeffress but when Prep refused to pay his tuition and they didn't want daddy near the bench/practices, Jeffress stayed at McDowell.
                      That's all fine, but what is legal and what is illegal in "recruiting" for high schools? No high school that I know has a compliance department and the PIAA and other state governing bodies don't have the coffers to launch expensive investigations.

Comment

That's all fine, but what is legal and what is illegal in "recruiting" for high schools? No high school that I know has a compliance department and the PIAA and other state governing bodies don't have the coffers to launch expensive investigations.
                        It's not illegal until you get caught.

Comment

It's all reactive. Even the NCAA is reactive with enforcement. If you want to examine a smoldering case of high school recruiting, read up on Kennedy Catholic in Mercer County.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            It's all reactive. Even the NCAA is reactive with enforcement. If you want to examine a smoldering case of high school recruiting, read up on Kennedy Catholic in Mercer County.

Kennedy Catholic would finish 2nd or 3rd in the PSAC West every year. LOL.

Alma mater of Joe Lombardi, btw.

Comment

Legal or illegal... that kid wanted to go to Prep. His parents were just pissed that Prep wouldn't give him any assistance. Mom is a doctor... she can afford it!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                                Legal or illegal... that kid wanted to go to Prep. His parents were just pissed that Prep wouldn't give him any assistance. Mom is a doctor... she can afford it!

Curious ... what's it cost to go to ECP ?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X