Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Yea...at the end of the season the chalk line was IUP vs WLU in the regional final. If you go by seeding, WLU finished were they should have (#2 in the region)...Just that the Regional Final loss was to a different team than projected!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Yea...at the end of the season the chalk line was IUP vs WLU in the regional final. If you go by seeding, WLU finished were they should have (#2 in the region)...Just that the Regional Final loss was to a different team than projected!

I'm still not convinced Mercyhurst was better than either IUP or WL. IUP went 2-2 against them this year. But, there's no doubt, that weekend they were better -- and Manchel out-coached both Joe and Ben.

After seeing Mercyhurst beat both of them in person at the Regional, neither IUP or WL made enough in-game adjustments. IUP couldn't speed the game up (or make a shot) and WL wouldn't come out of that press (which killed them as it was totally ineffective). Add to it Mercyhurst really hit its stride at the perfect time.

That whole Regional field last year was superb and extremely even. Consider Mercyhurst needed OT to beat Fairmont State in Round 1. WL easily could have lost the ESU and VSU games. IUP struggled with West Chester. There wasn't a huge difference between 1-8. That was probably the most even field of 8 I've ever seen at the Regional.

Mercyhurst just had IUP figured out by that fourth meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        I'm still not convinced Mercyhurst was better than either IUP or WL. IUP went 2-2 against them this year. But, there's no doubt, that weekend they were better -- and Manchel out-coached both Joe and Ben.

After seeing Mercyhurst beat both of them in person at the Regional, neither IUP or WL made enough in-game adjustments. IUP couldn't speed the game up (or make a shot) and WL wouldn't come out of that press (which killed them as it was totally ineffective). Add to it Mercyhurst really hit its stride at the perfect time.

That whole Regional field last year was superb and extremely even. Consider Mercyhurst needed OT to beat Fairmont State in Round 1. WL easily could have lost the ESU and VSU games. IUP struggled with West Chester. There wasn't a huge difference between 1-8. That was probably the most even field of 8 I've ever seen at the Regional.

Or maybe IUP just "shot bad" or they were tired of seeing Hurst and weren't excited. Sticking with the theme since this is now a WLU advanced analytics thread that will always circle back to them never actually losing a game. Just like IUP football.

Comment

Updated 2019-20 Roster (and, this should be FINAL):

Guards

Malik Miller (6'4")
          Armoni Foster (6'3")
          Shawndale Jones (6'4")
          David Morris (6'2")
          Bryce Radford (6')
          K.J. Rhodes (6'5")
          Anthony White (6'2")

Chucky Humphries (6'6", 210 lbs)
          Shawn Ulrich (6'8", 230 lbs)
          Ousmane Diop (6'10, 215 lbs)
          Ethan Porterfield (6'9", 220 lbs)
          Anastasios Demogerontas (6'7", 215 lbs)

Walk-ons

Alan Glover, Jr. (6'5", 220 lbs)
          Dylan Benton (6'5", 185 lbs)

Comment

Yea...The regional reps were quite strong top to bottom last year. Hurst was certainly a worthy champ and took care of who they needed to when they needed to. But I think among the three (WLU, Hurst and IUP) if we played 10 games against each other, all three teams would end up 5-5.

Comment

Yea...The regional reps were quite strong top to bottom last year. Hurst was certainly a worthy champ and took care of who they needed to when they needed to. But I think among the three (WLU, Hurst and IUP) if we played 10 games against each other, all three teams would end up 5-5.
              Some small consolation for FSU, IUP and WL is that mercyhurst gave NW Missouri the most competitive game of any in the elite 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                Some small consolation for FSU, IUP and WL is that mercyhurst gave NW Missouri the most competitive game of any in the elite 8.
                I'm sure it is a bitter drink of water for them! Just because Hurst was a worthy winner of the region doesn't mean I liked watching them in the E8 as opposed to us!!!

Comment

I'm sure it is a bitter drink of water for them! Just because Hurst was a worthy winner of the region doesn't mean I liked watching them in the E8 as opposed to us!!!
                  I agree. Just happy they were not s fluke who then got embarrassed in elite 8.

Comment

They did it with two one-year mercenaries leading the charge, too. That's actually pretty rare.

They'll be back. Not this coming year, but they'll be back.

Comment

Correction to an earlier post:

IUP will open the season against Concord on Friday, Nov. 8.

The following night IUP will play West Virginia Wesleyan.

UPJ is attending. Their schedule originally stated the two games were road games at WVU and at Concord. It now states the two games are at IUP as part of the IRMC/Hilton Tournament.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 06-26-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Correct ... It really stinks to watch the team that eliminated you play like garbage in the next round. Mercyhurst was a worthy regional champ and represented the region well at the Elite 8.

Comment

Correction to an earlier post:

IUP will open the season against Concord on Friday, Nov. 8.

The following night IUP will play West Virginia Wesleyan.

UPJ is attending. Their schedule originally stated the two games were road games at WVU and at Concord. It now states the two games are at IUP as part of the IRMC/Hilton Tournament.
                          Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                          An interesting note SID Ryan Rebholz alluded to on the Twitter a while back about the Nov. 9-10 weekend. If you love IUP sports, that's the weekend to visit! In hoops, the IUP men host the IRMC/Hilton Garden Inn Classic and the IUP women host the PSAC-MEC Classic. There's a home volleyball game, a home women's soccer game up on the hill and a noon Senior Day kickoff against Edinboro.

If you're trying to workout logistics, good luck. The volleyball team plays Friday night at 7 p.m. too. Since this is a basketball board, the IUP men and their under-lock-and-key schedule probably means their tournament is Saturday night and Sunday afternoon like the women's team. How cool/strange/fiscally irresponsible/hectic would it be for an IUP basketball doubleheader Saturday night at the Field House while the other men's and women's tournament games are played in front of an empty KCAC?
                          Just posted this on the women's thread and need to update it. It's a good thing IUP has two regulation-sized gyms, because it will need them those days. Friday will have a women's volleyball game and two men's basketball games. Saturday will have two men's games, two women's games and a volleyball game. Sunday will have two women's games. The Concord-UPJ men might have to play over at the Hub gym or at Indiana High on Saturday afternoon!

Comment

Funny I watched the IUP vs Kentucky game tonight.

That kid Herro that got drafted No. 13 overall last week ... Malik lit him up.

Willem had 4 monster dunks. What happened to that? Joe keep the reigns too tight? Willem's best game, ever, at IUP. By far.

Man ... 6 mins to go ... they had a shot. Legit shot to win in Rupp.

Best part was Coach Cal taking a dig at Pitt after the game ... "Nobody in Pittsburgh will play them "

Comment

Funny I watched the IUP vs Kentucky game tonight.

That kid Herro that got drafted No. 13 overall last week ... Malik lit him up.

Willem had 4 monster dunks. What happened to that? Joe keep the reigns too tight? Willem's best game, ever, at IUP. By far.

Man ... 6 mins to go ... they had a shot. Legit shot to win in Rupp.

Best part was Coach Cal taking a dig at Pitt after the game ... "Nobody in Pittsburgh will play them "
                              I said that right along, Willem had one huge game and it was against Kentucky. Where'd he go the rest of the year? Was it scheme? Was that game a fluke? We'll never know but he was awesome that day!

Comment

Willem Brandwijk has signed with Feyenoord (Dutch Basketball League).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X