X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Comment

Pretty much depends on were you are at (country) and what level team you are on (typically there are several levels of pro teams per country). If you are in one of the top countries playing for one of the top leagues, you can make a comfortable living when you consider all the thrown in perks (free apartment, food, cell phone, etc)...if you are in a bottom league in a "secondary" country, you are really a pro in name only (maybe you get a free apartment and "help" finding a full time job).

For expats, it seems to be an up or out sort of thing. One year contracts are the norm and if you aint moving up either in team (bad team to good), country or league, you leave pretty quickly.

There is also a surprisingly robust professional American Football scene in Europe.

Comment

Can start at 65000 tax free easily. 100k no uncommon in rookie contract in German leagues.
        Top 10 euro players make between 1m to 4m a year.
        http://sportsagentblog.com/2012/07/3...-go-to-europe/
        I have heard of very large salaries in China. Some googling can provide more insight.

Comment

Several leagues include some decent perks like free housing, loaner cars, and free flights home in the off season.

Comment

The level is the whole key. At the bottom levels players can make about $2,000/month.

Consider it like baseball in the States (obviously not structured in this manner but you get the idea):

Independent League - bottom of the barrel
            Class A
            Class AA
            Class AAA
            MLB (NBA)

If interested, there are some good articles online about Chris Fite (Shippensburg coach) and his long career playing overseas. He played at a very high level.

China is paying some big bucks ... and luring many NBA washouts.

Most of our players (D2) probably start out in the bottom leagues and work their way up (if they choose to stay in the lifestyle). I read a good article about Dan Monterosso a couple months ago about his first year player over there. I recall it saying he was contemplating playing one more season and then probably pursing a college coaching job back here.

It's tough competition over there just to get spots in the upper leagues. Think of how many major D1 players don't even get a sniff from the NBA in addition to the European game has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 15-20 years.

I watch a lot of Dustin Sleva and Brandon Norfleet highlights. They are both doing pretty well.

DeVante Chance played well in Portugal but said he hated the experience.

Some of the highlights from the lower leagues look like they are in D2 gyms with D2 crowds (at Clarion).

Comment

There are currently six pro levels in Germany ranging from the top (Basketball Bundesliga) to the bottom (Landesliga Oberliga). There is also a Europe wide league (EuroLeague) that is supposedly the pinnacle of European Pro Basketball that is made up of 16 teams from across Europe including teams from Germany, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Israel and Russia.

Former WLU AA's Seger Bonifant and Dan Monteroso played for the German ProA league Ehingen Urpsring. ProA is the second tier league in Germany behind the Bundesliga so they probably get reimbursed pretty well for their services!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                Pretty much depends on were you are at (country) and what level team you are on (typically there are several levels of pro teams per country). If you are in one of the top countries playing for one of the top leagues, you can make a comfortable living when you consider all the thrown in perks (free apartment, food, cell phone, etc)...if you are in a bottom league in a "secondary" country, you are really a pro in name only (maybe you get a free apartment and "help" finding a full time job).

For expats, it seems to be an up or out sort of thing. One year contracts are the norm and if you aint moving up either in team (bad team to good), country or league, you leave pretty quickly.

There is also a surprisingly robust professional American Football scene in Europe.
                Can you share the name of that league?

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
                  Can you share the name of that league?
                  The top American Football League in Europe is the BIG6 League run by the European Football League (EFL). Next echelon down is the EFL which consists of six teams and culminates in the Eurobowl. From there it trickles down to the individual countries that typically have a number of league levels. In Germany there is the GFL with 16 teams and GFL 2 with 16 teams...Below them there are five "Regionalligas" with a total of 32 teams playing in them.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    The top American Football League in Europe is the BIG6 League run by the European Football League (EFL). Next echelon down is the EFL which consists of six teams and culminates in the Eurobowl. From there it trickles down to the individual countries that typically have a number of league levels. In Germany there is the GFL with 16 teams and GFL 2 with 16 teams...Below them there are five "Regionalligas" with a total of 32 teams playing in them.
                    I'll have to look into it. Would be interesting to see what type of talent they have over there.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
                      I'll have to look into it. Would be interesting to see what type of talent they have over there.
                      Just found this guy. He is a player and lays out what it's like playing professional football in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_wsMzPsHug

Silas Nacita played at Baylor and I believe was playing for the Frankfurt Universe at the time he filmed this video. They are a GFL2 team. Interesting note from a later video, he was playing for former Baylor HC Art Briles in Italy.

Side note on Europe. I would encourage any college football player to leap at the chance to play football over there. Europe is cool and completely different than anywhere I've been in the states! I can't imagine going over there, seeing the sights and getting a chance to play football for money (even if it is a very little bit of money). For a 21 year old guy, what could be better??

Comment

PSAC question for the lurkers out there (Steve Murray, Will Adair, Matt Burglund): the PSAC manual says "consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited." Is this no longer being enforced? For years I've been pushing for Edinboro to hold alumni events in tents at games with alcohol and the ideas are instantly squashed with a citation from the PSAC policy. Asking here because IUP sells alcohol at basketball games.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          PSAC question for the lurkers out there (Steve Murray, Will Adair, Matt Burglund): the PSAC manual says "consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited." Is this no longer being enforced? For years I've been pushing for Edinboro to hold alumni events in tents at games with alcohol and the ideas are instantly squashed with a citation from the PSAC policy. Asking here because IUP sells alcohol at basketball games.

For whatever it's worth the KCAC 'bar' is a closed off area/room and alcohol is not allowed to leave that area (you can't take a beer to your seat).

But, certainly, I've wondered the same.

Concerts and such at the KCAC have beer sold and wine sold all over the building and you can take it to your seats.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            For whatever it's worth the KCAC 'bar' is a closed off area/room and alcohol is not allowed to leave that area (you can't take a beer to your seat).

But, certainly, I've wondered the same.

Concerts and such at the KCAC have beer sold and wine sold all over the building and you can take it to your seats.
                            The PSAC manual under "Crowd Control" includes the quoted part of my post. So maybe by keeping it 'away' from the game its allowed? So theoretically a president's box or alumni tent couldn't serve alcohol because its 'inside' the gameday event.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              The PSAC manual under "Crowd Control" includes the quoted part of my post. So maybe by keeping it 'away' from the game its allowed? So theoretically a president's box or alumni tent couldn't serve alcohol because its 'inside' the gameday event.
                              That would certainly be a stretch at the KCAC. The 'bar' is up on the concourse. It is enclosed, per se, but added tables outside in the concourse in the past two years. It is 'fenced' in but many stand inside the 'fence' and watch the game from up above. So, it's hard to say it's removed.

The five private suites at the KCAC used for watching the game all allow alcohol.

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X