Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Yes. OVG (Oak View Group) runs the operations like booking events, event setup, and marketing. IUP gets a cut. This is the same company that runs the UPMC Events Center at RMU.

What's the buzz around the Boro team this winter?

Comment

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      What's the buzz around the Boro team this winter?
      Last I spoke with Cleary they were out there finding the next Liggins and avoid relegation to Tier 2 status in McComb. (my words haha)

Comment

• Ousmane Diop (Niagara transfer) is a freaking giant. The photos we saw of him from two years ago tell no part of the story. Dude looks like he's lived in the weight room the past 24 months.

I'd guess he's about 6'10" to 6'11" and about 240-250 lbs.

He'll look real good in the team photo. That said, hopefully he looks real good on the court. From what I'm told, he's not going to be here to score many points -- at least not early on. He has an incredible wing span and is said to be extremely aggressive/physical on the glass. He's also very athletic for his size (former soccer player).

On another positive note, the whole listed roster reported and is enrolled. No late surprises.

Comment

• Didn't think there would be any late surprises. The fact that Diop has put on muscle is great. We already knew he was long but strength wise is what I was worried about. He'll be a rim protector that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
            Didn't think there would be any late surprises. The fact that Diop has put on muscle is great. We already knew he was long but strength wise is what I was worried about. He'll be a rim protector that's for sure.

We haven't had a true rim protector for several years now. It will be a nice addition.

The guards have been justifiably getting all the buzz but that 'big man' crew is pretty solid.

Chucky should explode this season -- ultra athletic and can be a shutdown defender.

Ulrich is a big body under there at 6'8" and 235 lbs. As per Joe formula he redshirted a year ago but word is he tore up practices.

Tommy Demogerontas should fill that small forward role well at 6'8" and 215 lbs. He has a nice outside shot and is also pretty smooth around the basket. Plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Diop is a giant. I'd imagine Joe works him in a little slow.

Porterfield is already big at 6'8" and a 'listed' 220 lbs. We all saw what ESU's star freshmen big did a year ago. However, I'd be shocked if he doesn't redshirt.

Ulrich, Diop and Demogerontas have already taken redshirt seasons. I can't see Joe playing (5) bigs.

Comment

• It's going to be interesting with what Joe does. Players need to stay out of the doghouse too. I'm excited for IUP basketball...

Comment

• Taco Tuesday

Awesome

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Taco Tuesday

Awesome
                  What?

Comment

Ousmane Diop (Niagara transfer) is a freaking giant. The photos we saw of him from two years ago tell no part of the story. Dude looks like he's lived in the weight room the past 24 months.

I'd guess he's about 6'10" to 6'11" and about 240-250 lbs.

He'll look real good in the team photo. That said, hopefully he looks real good on the court. From what I'm told, he's not going to be here to score many points -- at least not early on. He has an incredible wing span and is said to be extremely aggressive/physical on the glass. He's also very athletic for his size (former soccer player).

On another positive note, the whole listed roster reported and is enrolled. No late surprises.
                    The real question though, is how many of these guys does Joe actually run? The talent and depth is great, but not if you only play 7.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The real question though, is how many of these guys does Joe actually run? The talent and depth is great, but not if you only play 7.

He may go Norman Dale and play four.

Joking aside I think he rolls with 8 this year. All three freshmen redshirt. Four guards and four bigs. Anthony White is the 9th man (if he doesn't redshirt) and gets some minutes here and there. He can play.

Luckily he would have depth in an emergency unlike other years.

Comment

He may go Norman Dale and play four.

Joking aside I think he rolls with 8 this year. All three freshmen redshirt. Four guards and four bigs. Anthony White is the 9th man (if he doesn't redshirt) and gets some minutes here and there. He can play.

Luckily he would have depth in an emergency unlike other years.
                        I would love for him to just go outside the norm and play 9 or 10. But I know 8 is asking a lot out of him.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I would love for him to just go outside the norm and play 9 or 10. But I know 8 is asking a lot out of him.

When you break down the roster, despite losing Dante's production from last season, the guard group this year is much more dynamic/deeper. You lose Dante and Bearer but replace them with Shawndale Jones (they haven't had a guard with his physical stature in years) and David Morris (who is Joe's next star PG). Add to it a year-older version of Malik and Armoni ... that's a scary four-man rotation. Lot of size, speed and talent. Defensively, they should be night and day better at the guard position. Add to it Anthony White is a pest defender when he gets inserted.

I just can't see Joe burning a year of Bryce Radford and K.J. Rhodes eligibility to play 5 minutes a game.

HOWEVER, one absolute item I'm convinced of watching Joe's teams year after year (especially the past four years) is that they tire out down the stretch. In my opinion, you can directly link that to his stars playing 38 minutes in 30-point blowouts of Clarion, etc. I truly believe last year's 30-3 team peaked in late January.

If he'd say 'screw the redshirts' and get his stars down to 28-30 mpg would it help late in the season? Probably. This group is going to blow a ton of teams out this year. I'd rather keep legs fresh and limit the chances of injuries in meaningless minutes.

Comment

• Here's hoping that the IUP men have a successful trip to Canada this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                              Here's hoping that the IUP men have a successful trip to Canada this weekend.
                              Cheers

Comment

• Wonder if Joe will let them stop at Jack's Cantina in Niagara Falls?

Is Rumors still open? YANKS?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X