• Show
Clear All

• Jack:

"What appears to be a season-ending knee injury ..."

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Jack:

"What appears to be a season-ending knee injury ..."

Oh no ... feel awful for the kid, the team, and the fans.

Comment

• Final

IUP 80
        East Stroudsburg 56

Comment

Final

IUP 80
          East Stroudsburg 56
          So what did you think of the new rotation ? from looking at the stats looks like Porterfield had a good game. Maybe he will grow up fast ? ? Through in the 4 guard lineup, and it might not be as bad as first thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

So what did you think of the new rotation ? from looking at the stats looks like Porterfield had a good game. Maybe he will grow up fast ? ? Through in the 4 guard lineup, and it might not be as bad as first thought.

ESU was a good adjustment game for them. I say that because IUP's guards are very, very good (elite ... I'll use that word). And, ESU doesn't really have much under the basket. So, it was a good transition game. The vaunted ESU press was no match. They got their first TO with 3 minutes left in the game (and Armoni called a timeout they didn't give him). ESU should have come out of that press at halftime.

Porterfield played really well. He's Joe's next star post player ... but likely in a year or two. Shawndale went for 13 points and 10 boards -- the best 6'3", 220 lb (newly appointed) power forward in the country. He's a beast under the basket. Tort would love him at linebacker.

Anthony White had a huge game. He's a baller and has good size at 6'2". Incredible athlete.

Ulrich is obviously a work in progress but he is a really big body and makes things happen (on purpose or not).

The obvious disappointment in my eyes is this team was on pace to be incredible by Jan-Feb. I think this team would have smoked last year's team. Demo was one of the best players Joe has ever had here. He's never had a tenacious rebounder at 6'8" with point guard skills and who could shoot the trey.

Just pray they can stay healthy. I don't see any deep March run but they will be a tough out even without Demo. I don't know ESU history but I can't imagine they've taken many beatings like the one they took today.

Ousmane Diop was not dressed today. Many thought the Demo injury would force Joe to burn his redshirt.

Comment

• Joe is stubborn with those redshirt players. Deep down we all knew he wouldn't dress him. Shawndale certainly isn't a power forward but his aggressive style is going to force him to that now. I think Ulrich needs game action to get him jelling in the system. He's huge with skill, get him some minutes. Porterfield will be a star. He's such a smart player with skill. Next year and the year after as he gets stronger, look out. Anthony White deserves minutes! The three guard trio will have a different stat leader every game. Love that balance! Benton, UGH! Still not a fan but maybe he'll grow on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                Joe is stubborn with those redshirt players. Deep down we all knew he wouldn't dress him. Shawndale certainly isn't a power forward but his aggressive style is going to force him to that now. I think Ulrich needs game action to get him jelling in the system. He's huge with skill, get him some minutes. Porterfield will be a star. He's such a smart player with skill. Next year and the year after as he gets stronger, look out. Anthony White deserves minutes! The three guard trio will have a different stat leader every game. Love that balance! Benton, UGH! Still not a fan but maybe he'll grow on me.
                I was told at the game a mid-year transfer is a real possibility.

It happens. Now, who is sitting out there ... That's for them to find. But, for a variety of reasons, there are players available.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-24-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Mid year transfer...eligible to play immediately?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                    Mid year transfer...eligible to play immediately?
                    They would only sign one if eligible immediately.

This would be a depth guy ... Likely not a star.

Comment

• What would the scenario have to be to be eligible mid year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                        What would the scenario have to be to be eligible mid year?
                        IUP went through something similar 3-4 years ago. It was heavily rumored Syracuse cast-off Gino Thorpe (from Pittsburgh) wanted to come to IUP after leaving the Orange in early November. He'd have had one semester left of eligibility.

It never happened. Word was Joe ultimately said no. But ... That's the type of player he'd look to add. It's rare but it does happen. There actually is a waiver wire (essentially) of guys looking for one last dance.

Ideally they'd find a big body looking for a last chance -- somebody OK with limited minutes.

Comment

• I was really impressed with Porterfield today. His poise and leadership on the court was impressive for a freshman. He has the potential to be really good.

ESU is a shadow of it was last year. Where did the athleticism go? IUP was way more athletic. It could be a long year for the Warriors.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                            I was really impressed with Porterfield today. His poise and leadership on the court was impressive for a freshman. He has the potential to be really good.

ESU is a shadow of it was last year. Where did the athleticism go? IUP was way more athletic. It could be a long year for the Warriors.
                            I thought they were still a pretty athletic group. They had a lot of quick guys -- just no real scoring threats like years past (at least not Sunday). The thing with that press is it has to be perfect in execution. If you are a split-second late here or there it doesn't work well. IUP broke it with relative ease all day. As I said earlier the press took 37 minutes to get its first turnover. IUP is a hard team to press with the skill, speed and size of Joe's guards. The starting lineup now is essentially four guards and Chucky (who is just as quick as most guards). Most teams ESU plays this year won't have the backcourt Joe has and they will keep getting better at the execution. But, when it's not working like that they will have some long days.

I never quite get why teams don't come out of the press on days it's totally ineffective like it was Sunday. If anything just for a different look to throw out there.

I got a kick out of Anthony White's and Chucky's comments in the paper yesterday. Anthony had played 7 total minutes in the first 4 games and then came in Sunday and scored a game-high point total and looked like a full-ride guard. Chucky (paraphrase) said he's been doing that to us in practice for two years so it wasn't a surprise.

The question for Joe is more like ... where the heck has he been? I've rambled on here for two years that Anthony White would start for 75% of teams in the PSAC (and be the 6th man for the few remaining). He's 6'3", strong, fast, a potential shut-down defender, can shoot and play all three guard positions -- and may be the best pure athlete on the team.

Chucky made a pretty good case for him publicly. Especially now, there's now way Redshirt Joe can't not play him anymore. I see him as a perfect fit to be the Brandon Spain sparkplug -- and certainly a 20+ minute guy. Joe's going to have to get creative this year now with his star gone for the year. Anthony greatly helps in the creativity.

Comment

• Wonder if JoJo Gause could join the team as a deep bench player? He's out of football eligibility. Star WR at about 6'5" and 220 lbs with mad hops. Could be a good depth guy. That bench is pretty lonely.

Gary Edwards had to do that one year. Pat Cleary has done it several times at Edinboro.

Just sayin' ... They need another body.

?

Comment

Wonder if JoJo Gause could join the team as a deep bench player? He's out of football eligibility. Star WR at about 6'5" and 220 lbs with mad hops. Could be a good depth guy. That bench is pretty lonely.

Gary Edwards had to do that one year. Pat Cleary has done it several times at Edinboro.

Just sayin' ... They need another body.

?
                                I remember that JoJo was doing color commentary a few winters back for the IUP hoops webcast.

Who did Gary have from the football team? I can't place that.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X