X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick look at tomorrow's opponent (Felician):

Record: 2-3

Last time out: Lost 104-80 at East Stroudsburg

Best performance: 95-80 loss at Daemen (they led by 11 at halftime but got zonked in the second 20 minutes)

Notes:

* Two common opponents (aside from the ESU loss, they lost 84-83 at home to Bloomsburg)
    * 84.6 ppg while giving up 87.4 ppg
    * 41.9% FG
    * 37% from deep
    * 41 rebounds per game (-3.4 margin)
    * 74% FT
    * Averaging 9.4 treys per game on 25.4 attempts

Top players:

G Zamir Wright (6'3") - 20.8 ppg
    F Dee-End McRae (6'5", 265 lbs) - 14.4 ppg & 8 rpg
    F Jay'von Jackson (6'4") - 13.6 ppg & 6.4 rpg
    G Jeff Lewis (6'4") - 9.4 ppg

Synopsis: Not a real deep team. They'll play a short rotation - similar to IUP. Their stats don't reflect a strong defensive team as ESU went over 100 on them and Daemen put up 95 points. They haven't played since Nov. 18. The first game after Thanksgiving is typically an odd one. You can tell quickly who ate too much pie. IUP should easily be a double-digit favorite in a very rare 3 p.m. Saturday home game. Factor in the holiday break, no students and a heavy shopping day ... I'd guess they'll be lucky to get 500 in there tomorrow. But, it's the next game on the schedule and needs handled. However, they have had nearly two weeks to prepare for this game and should have IUP well-scouted. As they proved for a half at Daemen, they are capable of playing at a high level in spurts.

Comment

• I know Gary Edwards picked Eddie Peterson off the football team for sure. I'm drawing a blank if there was anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        I know Gary Edwards picked Eddie Peterson off the football team for sure. I'm drawing a blank if there was anyone else.
        That's who I was referring. I know we don't like to mention his name much.

Believe me I was just thinking (typing) out loud. I'd feel much better having one more player.

Everybody at the last game was shocked Redshirt Joe didn't activate Diop, but, as you said, we knew better. IF (major if) he is going to activate him tomorrow would be the time. Last week would have only given him about 20 hours to prepare. I mean, he's only missed 5 games. It's not exactly like Pitt burning the QB redshirt for one game two years ago.

I was just looking at football players out of eligibility. Surely several of them are good enough athletes to join the team. We're talking a bit role here. JoJo was a good high school player and is certainly a superior, big athlete.

But ... we know Joe too well. I don't see anything happening.

Comment

• This is the team the rest of the way. I don't see any additions or a Diop activation. It's the Joe way.

Comment

I know Gary Edwards picked Eddie Peterson off the football team for sure. I'm drawing a blank if there was anyone else.
            To the absolute best of the capability of my recall----I want to say that Peterson was actually a basketball player first and then went out for the football team IIRC. Does that sound right to anyone? I think he may have played one season of IUP football circa 2004 as a WR and caught a TD pass.

-

Comment

• IUP 91
              Felician 70

Final

Comment

• A whopping 301 packed the KCAC.

That would be a big crowd at most West schools.

Comment

• That wasn't a very highly touted game to attract the average fan.

Comment

That wasn't a very highly touted game to attract the average fan.
                    I couldn't imagine drawing that type of crowd all year. That's like the Angelo Dome or the relic up at Morrow Field House.

I don't think many even knew they had a game today.

Comment

• David Morris had a real strong game. He looks better each game. Overall it was pretty clean for the dreaded after holiday return game. Anthony White played well, too.

Comment

• I figured he would. Had to learn the offense and get comfortable. I just hope Porterfield and Ulrich start to grow as players. They will need that size down the stretch!

Comment

I figured he would. Had to learn the offense and get comfortable. I just hope Porterfield and Ulrich start to grow as players. They will need that size down the stretch!
                          Felician was the oddest team. They didn't come out to warm up (at all) until 18 minutes pre-tip. I didn't think they were coming. Very quiet team ... Like no emotion at all. They do have a couple nice players.

Comment

• No video feed so it was hard to judge Felician. I knew they had one good shooter and he showed that first half. Joe said they didn't guard well in the first half. Anthony White is making the most of his minutes right now. I hate the schedule right now. One home game in December against a D3 team, 2 lay ups then Shep/Ship battles on the road. Not easy to stay sharp.

Comment

No video feed so it was hard to judge Felician. I knew they had one good shooter and he showed that first half. Joe said they didn't guard well in the first half. Anthony White is making the most of his minutes right now. I hate the schedule right now. One home game in December against a D3 team, 2 lay ups then Shep/Ship battles on the road. Not easy to stay sharp.
                              Felician's No. 5 is a very legit guard. He'd play for anybody. He had 17 in the first half (4-4 from deep). But, they smothered him in the second half (2 points). If he was on a team with more scoring options he'd be insane. Their problem is, as Joe did in the second half, he can be focused on since there isn't any other real scoring threats.

Morris got most of the pub in the paper today. He deserved it. The day is coming he's going to explode for a 30-point game. His defense has improved dramatically from Game 1 to Game 6 as well as his transformation to a true PG.

One advantage for the fans of having like 8 people in the KCAC yesterday was being able to hear everything. Shawndale is a really strong floor leader and communicator.

Chucky was really in the shooting zone yesterday. He nailed three treys ... none of them touched rim. He has a really nice shot. Joe needs to let him shoot a bit more. All Anthony White does is perform. Joe is VERY fortunate he had him stuffed away on the bench.

I agree Ulrich needed more minutes yesterday. The night is coming when somebody is in foul trouble, etc., and he's going to have to play heavy minutes.

The next two weeks are pretty light. IUP heads up to Mansfield this weekend before taking another week off and then hosts a, well, not good D3 Bethany team. Mansfield does have a monster under the basket ... old school PSAC big. In some ways I think this light stretch of games had good timing post Tommy Demo. They had to find a way to basically start over with new lineups, combinations, etc.

Comment

• What's crazy, is that I don't even think they were scratching the surface with Demo. Only a hand full of games and practice so I'm sure they were going to do more with him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X