Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some comparisons of stats for this year's team versus last year's team (keep in mind these averages are based on 33 games last year and just 6 this year):

2018-19 2019-20
    Points per game 79.6 82.7
    Scoring margin 14.2 15.7
    FG % .478 .491
    3PT % .373 .322
    FT % .704 .763
    Rebounds per game 37.3 38.5
    Rebounding margin +4.0 +6.7
    Assists per game 15.3 14.5
    Turnovers per game 13.2 14.3
    Points off turnovers per game 19.2 21.3
    Blocks per game 3.0 4.7
    Steals per game 8.4 7.8
    3PT attempts per game 24.36 24.83
    Home attendance average 1,503 1,199
    Points allowed per game 65.4 67.0

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
      What's crazy, is that I don't even think they were scratching the surface with Demo. Only a hand full of games and practice so I'm sure they were going to do more with him.
      Yep ... such a tough loss. Hopefully for us fans he takes the medical redshirt and comes back next year. In a short glimpse he was one of the better all-around players I've seen at this level.

Comment

• Chalk this up to too much time sitting in an airport, but, nevertheless, some of you will find these stats interesting.

These are numbers for Joe's team based on the past (5) years (starting with 2014-15 season) -- including the first (6) games of this season.
        OVERALL CONFERENCE HOME AWAY NEUTRAL
        138-30 94-17 82-12 50-15 6-3
        The two best records of this stretch:

2016-17: 28-4 (eliminated in Round 2 of NCAAs by Fairmont State, which eventually lost in the national title game)
        2018-19: 30-3 (eliminated in Round 2 of NCAAs by Mercyhurst)

The two worst records of this stretch:

2015-16: 21-8 (missed NCAAs largely because of regular season-ending loss at Seton Hill)
        2017-18: 22-8 (missed NCAAs - this was the snakebitten team with injuries and the infamous Glover suspension / Dante broken wrist at Seton Hill)

Not the best record but the team that went the deepest:

2014-15: 31-7 (lost in national title game)

Last (5) years against PSAC West opponents (including all postseason meetings)
        California 10-0
        Clarion 10-0
        UPJ 12-1
        Seton Hill 9-1
        Edinboro 9-2
        Gannon 8-3
        Slippery Rock 8-3
        Mercyhurst 9-5

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Chalk this up to too much time sitting in an airport, but, nevertheless, some of you will find these stats interesting.

These are numbers for Joe's team based on the past (5) years (starting with 2014-15 season) -- including the first (6) games of this season.

The two best records of this stretch:

2016-17: 28-4 (eliminated in Round 2 of NCAAs by Fairmont State, which eventually lost in the national title game)
          2018-19: 30-3 (eliminated in Round 2 of NCAAs by Mercyhurst)

The two worst records of this stretch:

2015-16: 21-8 (missed NCAAs largely because of regular season-ending loss at Seton Hill)
          2017-18: 22-8 (missed NCAAs - this was the snakebitten team with injuries and the infamous Glover suspension / Dante broken wrist at Seton Hill)

Not the best record but the team that went the deepest:

2014-15: 31-7 (lost in national title game)
          Interesting numbers, But I get the feeling that this team is no where near peaking, while last years team peaked early for whatever reason. Like everyone says, it a shame Demo is out, since they are a better team with him, but maybe it will give the current team more opportunities to develop, maybe be less predictable, and surprise some people.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Interesting numbers, But I get the feeling that this team is no where near peaking, while last years team peaked early for whatever reason. Like everyone says, it a shame Demo is out, since they are a better team with him, but maybe it will give the current team more opportunities to develop, maybe be less predictable, and surprise some people.
            They are certainly a different style IUP team than anybody has seen under Joe Lombardi. In D1, you'd never get away with playing such a guard heavy lineup, but D2 is different.

When they have four big, dynamic guards and Chucky on the floor together ... that is a difficult match-up for anybody to defend. That's an incredibly fast, skilled lineup. All five can score from all over the court.

The lack of post size can also be off-set by running those traditional bigs tired. Believe me, they aren't replacing Demo, but they now have to play the hand dealt. The season goes on. With Shawndale's strength he can bang down under the basket on defense and they get a mismatch when a big has to cover him on offense.

Most of us knew Anthony White (6'3") should have been playing all along. It's his chance to shine now. In the two games post-Demo, White has scored 16 and 11 points. He can play all three guard positions and is a tough defender. He's a prototype Lombardi sixth-man. Porterfield has also gone for 14 and 7 in the past two games. He's taking deep shots now which he wasn't in the first four games. He's getting more aggressive with each game. Ulrich has now played 8 minutes in each of the past three games. I'd like to see him get up to 12 mpg. Wait and see on this guy ... he's a little more talented than many are giving credit. He's a banger, but he's a skilled banger. Lastly, David Morris is a different player from the first three games to the last three games. He's getting more comfortable. The night is coming he completely takes over a game.

I don't see another 30-3 coming. But, if this group can stay healthy, it should be a fun ride. Health right now is the single most important thing. They can't survive another injury. I still wish Joe would activate Ousmane and I'll never understand the logic. Ready or not, he's 6'10" and a solid 245 lbs. By default he can go in there and make some things happen in short spurts. I know ... talking to the wall again.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are certainly a different style IUP team than anybody has seen under Joe Lombardi. In D1, you'd never get away with playing such a guard heavy lineup, but D2 is different.

When they have four big, dynamic guards and Chucky on the floor together ... that is a difficult match-up for anybody to defend. That's an incredibly fast, skilled lineup. All five can score from all over the court.

The lack of post size can also be off-set by running those traditional bigs tired. Believe me, they aren't replacing Demo, but they now have to play the hand dealt. The season goes on. With Shawndale's strength he can bang down under the basket on defense and they get a mismatch when a big has to cover him on offense.

Most of us knew Anthony White (6'3") should have been playing all along. It's his chance to shine now. In the two games post-Demo, White has scored 16 and 11 points. He can play all three guard positions and is a tough defender. He's a prototype Lombardi sixth-man. Porterfield has also gone for 14 and 7 in the past two games. He's taking deep shots now which he wasn't in the first four games. He's getting more aggressive with each game. Ulrich has now played 8 minutes in each of the past three games. I'd like to see him get up to 12 mpg. Wait and see on this guy ... he's a little more talented than many are giving credit. He's a banger, but he's a skilled banger. Lastly, David Morris is a different player from the first three games to the last three games. He's getting more comfortable. The night is coming he completely takes over a game.

I don't see another 30-3 coming. But, if this group can stay healthy, it should be a fun ride. Health right now is the single most important thing. They can't survive another injury. I still wish Joe would activate Ousmane and I'll never understand the logic. Ready or not, he's 6'10" and a solid 245 lbs. By default he can go in there and make some things happen in short spurts. I know ... talking to the wall again.
              Skilled , guard heavy lineups pose their own set of problems for opponents. Sounds like iup is an entertaining team to watch this year!

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Skilled , guard heavy lineups pose their own set of problems for opponents. Sounds like iup is an entertaining team to watch this year!
                It's been a fun, emotional season so far. Oddly, I see them as kind of playing with house money now. After the injury the expectations changed (Joe said so himself). Who knows. In some odd way that seemed to motivate the team.

I don't know how long it is sustainable. They have already lost two players to season-ending injuries (Demo and freshman PG Bryce Radford). Two more are taking redshirts. If they can somehow keep this current roster (what's left of it) intact, they should still be a tournament team. If healthy they can still win the PSAC. Or, at least have a legit shot.

Comment

• Mansfield has a really good announcing crew.

Comment

• Joe up 43-32 at half.

Comment

• Joe chucked up 19 treys in first half.

We'll see if Mansfield stays in that zone.

Comment

• IUP ice cold to start the second half.

Comment

• Ugly

Comment

• Little Shaq is getting tired.

Comment

• Why is Ethan playing in this game?

Comment

• Joe's going to be lucky if he can escape here with a W.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X