Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Watched the playback of the game. As Joe often says, a lot of good usually comes out of losses like this one. This team hopefully learned some painful lessons in this game.

The main teaching point I saw is they have to put teams away. IUP had finally taken control of the second half and had a 5 point lead with 5 minutes left. They failed on three possessions to extend that lead to 7 or 8 points (or perhaps more). That would have probably made the difference. On top of it, Ship had two starters fouled out by the 3-minute mark.

IUP's first half was horrendous -- worst this year by a mile. IUP scored 1 point -- 1 point -- in the first 5:45 of the game. How they were only down 7 points at halftime was actually a small miracle. They shot 29% in the first half along with 33% from deep and just 40% from the FT line. The second half was better except from outside. IUP hit 6-25 from deep for the game -- 24% -- including 1-10 after halftime. Defensively, they were very lethargic in the first half. Joe's lack of using some timeouts in the first half can certainly be second-guessed. And, the three-point shooting is starting to become a serious issue.

Fite knew Joe had a weakness defensively underneath and they really exploited it. This is an alarming factor going in to the rugged West season as they will see lots of similar, big, physical teams. When you start as poor as they did against Ship and get in a hole ... that's the worst possible thing to happen as it then let Shippensburg dictate the pace and style of play. With this teams make-up they need to play fast. They will struggle all year in bang 'em style games. It's sure nice to see a 6'10", 245 lb, shot-blocker sitting on the bench in a track suit.

They'll come out better on the other side of this loss. Malik and Armoni aren't going to combine for 4-17 from deep many nights. They have to get more physical on the boards. Ship got every big rebound all night. Defensively, they played pretty well. They forced 17 TOs and Ship shot the ball poorly, too. Ethan was overwhelmed under the basket in this game and unfortunately that is going to happen with a true freshman being forced to play heavy minutes. I get Joe's trying to have a post presence under the basket, but I question if this roster is better suited to play the four guards and Chuckie lineup -- with Ethan and Anthony White coming off the bench. Ethan is ready to play but so far he's seemed to play his best in spurts.

IUP put Ship on the line far too much -- and they paid severely for it. Ship went 27-31 at the line to IUP's 12-16. Malik's three at the buzzer to tie the game missed by about half an inch.

Disappointing to lose but they can take the positive of having a stat sheet as ugly as that one and just about beating a strong, desperate team on the road in a pretty wound up environment.

They get the next two at home. A better-than-you-think Lock Haven is here next Friday night followed by a rare Monday night home game against Mercyhurst. And, then the trip up to Morrow. This is a real tough stretch.
      Good analysis. I actually am fairly happy Ship is 8-3 so far as I don't think they've really played more than one or two complete games so far this season. Saturday, it was Nedrow and Biss who carried the scoring freight, while Castello did pull some boards. The rest of the team was in single digits and Talley, who usually contributes a few points, was oh-fer the game. If Nedrow comes on and some of the other players round into consistent form I think they'll be pretty good. Looks as if there are a lot of good, but not especially dominant PSAC teams this year.
      Last edited by Ship69; 12-27-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Merry Christmas to all of you knuckleheads.

Happy Holidays for the more PC crowd.

Comment

• Or Festivus for the rest of us. ;)

Comment

• Happy Boxing Day for everyone in Canada or England.

Happy dead period for D2 basketball fans.

Comment

• Joe is about to go from playing what worked out to be about one game a week for two months in to a real buzz-saw of a schedule. Going 7-2 in January would be a good month.
              Jan. 3 Lock Haven Sporadic, but talented team. Took Cal, SRU and UPJ to the buzzer, yet struggled with Seton Hill and lost to Clarion. Best not take this one lightly.
              Jan. 6 Mercyhurst Lady in Red Rematch ... Monday night inside the KCAC with no offense and no crowd. Sounds thrilling.
              Jan. 8 @ Slippery Rock The Morrow visit is rarely easy - students or no students.
              Jan. 11 @ Gannon Hammermill on a Saturday night hasn't always been kind.
              Jan. 15 @ Edinboro Remember the uniforms.
              Jan. 18 California Real big game inside the KCAC on a Saturday night.
              Jan. 22 @ UPJ Not going to be easy up there.
              Jan. 25 Clarion Showing big improvement since Mraz returned from injury.
              Jan 29 Seton Hill Women's game will be the show.

Comment

• As we're about to set sail on another West season -- and do it, again, with a very thin bench (particularly under the basket) -- it made me curious to look back at the recent era (Lombardi) of post players who have come in to the program (scholarship players only). As we all know, truly elite post players at the D2 level are hard to find but they do exist.

Joe's had a great deal of success recruiting and developing high school post players. He hasn't signed a lot of them, but he's hit home runs with most of the ones he did sign. His luck with transfers down low has been a different story ... more of a mixed bag of success, flops and busts.

High School Recruits:

Darryl Webb - Arguably the best player in school history
                Jacobo Diaz - On a very short list of best players in school history
                Devon Cottrell - Very solid career
                Marcel Souberbielle - Arguably the player who brought the 'new age' in to IUP basketball. Likely an IUP Hall of Fame player.
                Ethan Porterfield - Joe's next star in the coming years.
                Nathan Lemke - Bust
                Chris Edwards - Solid career
                Dan Ayebo - Solid career
                Jalen Vaughns - Redshirted and left program after one year.
                Jeremy Bonifacio - Redshirted and left program after one year.

Transfers (here's where things get tricky ... and, I'm sure I missed one or two):

Tommy Demogerontas - Was on pace for a monster season through four games prior to ACL. Should be a superstar and All America candidate next season.
                Ousmane Diop - Remained a redshirt despite Demo going down in just Game 4. Likely not a great sign. Team desperately needs and still taking redshirt.
                Willem Brandwijk - Had his moments. Most feel he was under-utilized.
                Marko Krivaevic - Timing is everything. Had he arrived a year later he'd have played heavy minutes. Was part of a crowded front-court in his only season.
                Shawn Ulrich - Potential is there but minutes have not been. Deep bench player at the moment.
                Chucky Humphries - Solid contributor
                Blake Danielak - Redshirted and then didn't live up to the hype. Had some moments -- good and bad. Overall solid depth guy.
                Tevin Hanner - Solid contributor and career
                Daddy Ugbede - Elite offensive player. Total hack on defense. Constant foul trouble held him back from having monster numbers. But, truly gifted offensive player.
                Jeremy Jeffers - Solid contributor and career
                Dom Keyes - One of the most unfortunate busts of the Lombardi era. Highly questionable redshirt his first year and trouble off the court his second. Never played a second at IUP.
                Kalusha Ndoumbe Ngollo - Looked intimidating on the court. That was about all.
                Blake Vedder - Took a gamble on the 7'3" project. Played early in lone season but vanquished to deep bench. Left after just one year.
                Josh Wiegand - Solid contributor ... kind of the end of the old era of IUP bigs.
                Willi Estrella - Solid player
                Kahmell Broughton - Lot of hype coming from University of Houston. It ended with hype.
                C.J. Rudisill - Technically a walk-on but became an injury-induced starter by mid-season. Left after lone year.
                Akida McClain - Very solid contributor

Danielak and Keyes both redshirted in years those teams drastically needed healthy post players. IUP missed the NCAAs both years. I can't not think of these two seasons every time I see Diop languishing on the pine in a track suit. I think the Shippensburg game exposed some weaknesses under the basket -- defensively, in particular. As IUP heads in to the West gauntlet ... and will see plenty of big, physical guys in the paint ... that's certainly the concern going forward this season. They have to get Ulrich more game-ready. There's going to be games Chucky and Ethan get in foul trouble. And, frankly, Ulrich is just a really big body under there that nobody is going to push around. They are lucky to have Shawndale and to be able to throw him down there. But, he's a 6'3" guard being asked to play power forward. Next week's coming fast ... and it's a big one -- Mercyhurst, at SRU and at Gannon. IUP will be undersized in all of them. It's going to be a war in the paint.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-31-2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• That's some nice work there. Very interesting to look at. I think maybe one name missing may be Akida McLain (sp?) who of course was a transfer from Boston College. I think he was in the Joe Lombardi era.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                    That's some nice work there. Very interesting to look at. I think maybe one name missing may be Akida McLain (sp?) who of course was a transfer from Boston College. I think he was in the Joe Lombardi era.

-
                    Yep. I knew I'd miss one ... and that's a HUGE one to miss. I went from memory and, well, I'm getting older. He was obviously a key cog on Joe's first National Finalist team.

Comment

• Kahmell Broughton is the guy on this list that really blows my mind. The guy was built like a brick **** house, the tape showed how dominant he was but... We still never got a story on why the redshirt and then he left for family purposes. FRUSTRATING!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        Kahmell Broughton is the guy on this list that really blows my mind. The guy was built like a brick **** house, the tape showed how dominant he was but... We still never got a story on why the redshirt and then he left for family purposes. FRUSTRATING!!!
                        Make what you want of this, but, ...

Bigs who were redshirted (for whatever reason):

Kahmell Broughton
                        Akida McLain
                        Blake Danielak
                        Dom Keyes
                        Ousmane Diop
                        Shawn Ulrich

All but Ulrich came from a D1 program. Keyes had PLAYED as a true freshman at UPJ and then tore it up at Harford. Then he had to redshirt here. Danielak had to redshirt all season in a year they lost Devon Cottrell very early in the year and eventually started a walk-on. Diop is a 6'10", 240 lb, athletic freak sitting at the end of a bench for a team dying for a defensive post player.

As a fan and supporter of the program ... it's just maddening. Redshirting these guys has cost IUP two NCAAs in the past 5 years. And, who freaking knows if they'll even be back for Year 2. I will never, ever understand the logic. Diop should have been activated the day after Demo was lost for the season. Joe builds these teams assuming everything will go perfect and nobody will get hurt. Then, the moment one player goes down, the season gets screwed. I know they are still good even without Demo. But, there were some alarming things in that Shippensburg game on the defensive end. With Demo I think this was a Regional Title team. I'd have bet on it. Without ... they 'probably' make the NCAAs. Beyond that, however, ... we'll see.

I don't know how developed Diop is at this point. Frankly, I don't really care, either. His physical size alone would alter teams. It's also well documented he can run very well (as a former giant soccer player) and can jump out of the building. They don't need him to play 35 minutes. They need a guy like him to play in spurts. Bang it. Draw and give fouls. Block some shots. Play 10-12 minutes a game. That's it. If he's not ready to do that right now ... why is he here? He's the biggest guy in the arena at every game this season. What are we trying to do here this year?

Comment

As we're about to set sail on another West season -- and do it, again, with a very thin bench (particularly under the basket) -- it made me curious to look back at the recent era (Lombardi) of post players who have come in to the program (scholarship players only). As we all know, truly elite post players at the D2 level are hard to find but they do exist.

Joe's had a great deal of success recruiting and developing high school post players. He hasn't signed a lot of them, but he's hit home runs with most of the ones he did sign. His luck with transfers down low has been a different story ... more of a mixed bag of success, flops and busts.

High School Recruits:

Darryl Webb - Arguably the best player in school history
                          Jacobo Diaz - On a very short list of best players in school history
                          Devon Cottrell - Very solid career
                          Marcel Souberbielle - Arguably the player who brought the 'new age' in to IUP basketball. Likely an IUP Hall of Fame player.
                          Ethan Porterfield - Joe's next star in the coming years.
                          Nathan Lemke - Bust
                          Chris Edwards - Solid career
                          Dan Ayebo - Solid career
                          Jalen Vaughns - Redshirted and left program after one year.
                          Jeremy Bonifacio - Redshirted and left program after one year.

Transfers (here's where things get tricky ... and, I'm sure I missed one or two):

Tommy Demogerontas - Was on pace for a monster season through four games prior to ACL. Should be a superstar and All America candidate next season.
                          Ousmane Diop - Remained a redshirt despite Demo going down in just Game 4. Likely not a great sign. Team desperately needs and still taking redshirt.
                          Willem Brandwijk - Had his moments. Most feel he was under-utilized.
                          Marko Krivaevic - Timing is everything. Had he arrived a year later he'd have played heavy minutes. Was part of a crowded front-court in his only season.
                          Shawn Ulrich - Potential is there but minutes have not been. Deep bench player at the moment.
                          Chucky Humphries - Solid contributor
                          Blake Danielak - Redshirted and then didn't live up to the hype. Had some moments -- good and bad. Overall solid depth guy.
                          Tevin Hanner - Solid contributor and career
                          Daddy Ugbede - Elite offensive player. Total hack on defense. Constant foul trouble held him back from having monster numbers. But, truly gifted offensive player.
                          Jeremy Jeffers - Solid contributor and career
                          Dom Keyes - One of the most unfortunate busts of the Lombardi era. Highly questionable redshirt his first year and trouble off the court his second. Never played a second at IUP.
                          Kalusha Ndoumbe Ngollo - Looked intimidating on the court. That was about all.
                          Blake Vedder - Took a gamble on the 7'3" project. Played early in lone season but vanquished to deep bench. Left after just one year.
                          Josh Wiegand - Solid contributor ... kind of the end of the old era of IUP bigs.
                          Willi Estrella - Solid player
                          Kahmell Broughton - Lot of hype coming from University of Houston. It ended with hype.
                          C.J. Rudisill - Technically a walk-on but became an injury-induced starter by mid-season. Left after lone year.
                          Akida McClain - Very solid contributor

Danielak and Keyes both redshirted in years those teams drastically needed healthy post players. IUP missed the NCAAs both years. I can't not think of these two seasons every time I see Diop languishing on the pine in a track suit. I think the Shippensburg game exposed some weaknesses under the basket -- defensively, in particular. As IUP heads in to the West gauntlet ... and will see plenty of big, physical guys in the paint ... that's certainly the concern going forward this season. They have to get Ulrich more game-ready. There's going to be games Chucky and Ethan get in foul trouble. And, frankly, Ulrich is just a really big body under there that nobody is going to push around. They are lucky to have Shawndale and to be able to throw him down there. But, he's a 6'3" guard being asked to play power forward. Next week's coming fast ... and it's a big one -- Mercyhurst, at SRU and at Gannon. IUP will be undersized in all of them. It's going to be a war in the paint.
                          Just curious. What sort of time period does this represent? That's a lot of transfers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Just curious. What sort of time period does this represent? That's a lot of transfers.

This is Joe's 13th season. Keep in mind that list is only post players. In a typical year they do about half transfers and half high school players. Historically, he only takes transfers with multiple years of eligibility. But, conference wide, that's not a lot of transfers for that time period. There are teams in our league who were taking 8-10 yearly.

Comment

This is Joe's 13th season. Keep in mind that list is only post players. In a typical year they do about half transfers and half high school players. Historically, he only takes transfers with multiple years of eligibility. But, conference wide, that's not a lot of transfers for that time period. There are teams in our league who were taking 8-10 yearly.
                              Obviously that route has been very successful for IUP and some of the league's other teams. Fite seems to have a little different philosophy as from what I've heard he'd rather get players out of high school and develop them. He did take two (Nedrow and Hardy) coming into this season, and I think with Nedrow it was primarily because he needed some size up front to prevent Castello from being overwhelmed. Carlos Carter, despite being relatively thin, has also been an effective rebounder, enabling Ship to more than hold its own on the boards so far this season. Hardy provides another ball handler at guard to take some pressure off Biss and also is decent on defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Obviously that route has been very successful for IUP and some of the league's other teams. Fite seems to have a little different philosophy as from what I've heard he'd rather get players out of high school and develop them. He did take two (Nedrow and Hardy) coming into this season, and I think with Nedrow it was primarily because he needed some size up front to prevent Castello from being overwhelmed. Carlos Carter, despite being relatively thin, has also been an effective rebounder, enabling Ship to more than hold its own on the boards so far this season. Hardy provides another ball handler at guard to take some pressure off Biss and also is decent on defense.
                                Well ... Fite wanted to recruit Sleva to IUP. Joe didn't want him. Fite left and signed Sleva.

Imagine Cobo Diaz and Dustin Sleva as teammates. Joe may have won two national titles.

It almost happened. Literally. It was real close.

In Joe's defense ... Sleva was like 6'4" in high school and weighed about 90 pounds. He had an incredible growth spurt in college.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X