TO: 11
      Boards: 37 to 33
      STL: 4
      Blocks: 4

Final:

IUP 92
      SH 65

Comment

• Joe had another huge crowd last night ... with an announced gate of 3,102. That's a really big number for a Wednesday night and the opponent being Seton Hill. That's three straight games with 3,000 or more in the building.

Season average is up to 1,773 -- by far the highest average in the past 5 years. With two big Saturday night games still on the schedule (SRU and Gannon) ... I think they will easily surpass 2,100 for the season average.

Comment

• Those are fantastic numbers. Do you have any idea of what causes the significant bump in the draw in Indiana? Obviously, it's a world class arena and that helps. And, yes, a winning program helps too. But WLU, Fairmont, and Wheeling (down our way) all have great arenas and winning traditions. And average about 1/3 of the draw. Plus, if your description of pricing is any indication, I can't believe 3,000 people are willing to pay it. WLU is charging something like $7 and drawing many fewer bodies. With similar resources (good program, nice arena, history of supporting the team, etc.), what do you think accounts for the extra 1,500 people willing to pony up the dough and show up for IUP vs. WLU?

Edit to add: I realize that IUP's enrollment is significantly larger, so there's a larger student body to draw from, but I get the sense from your posts that the arena is mostly filled with "townies"--which I would say is the same scenario here. Maybe 2/3 townies and 1/3 students.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
            Those are fantastic numbers. Do you have any idea of what causes the significant bump in the draw in Indiana? Obviously, it's a world class arena and that helps. And, yes, a winning program helps too. But WLU, Fairmont, and Wheeling (down our way) all have great arenas and winning traditions. And average about 1/3 of the draw. Plus, if your description of pricing is any indication, I can't believe 3,000 people are willing to pay it. WLU is charging something like $7 and drawing many fewer bodies. With similar resources (good program, nice arena, history of supporting the team, etc.), what do you think accounts for the extra 1,500 people willing to pony up the dough and show up for IUP vs. WLU?

Edit to add: I realize that IUP's enrollment is significantly larger, so there's a larger student body to draw from, but I get the sense from your posts that the arena is mostly filled with "townies"--which I would say is the same scenario here. Maybe 2/3 townies and 1/3 students.
            A couple years ago they made a huge push to get people in the building. This was done with group nights, team nights, etc. The theory, I beleive, is that if they could get people to try it out .... they'd come back.

The KCAC doesn't have the feel of small-time basketball. They've went to great measures in the past year to enhance the 'game night' atmosphere. The Hilton being right next door added a whole new element (it's literally like 100' away). It's become a major social gathering spot before and after games, etc. They have a really nice bar and restaurant. So, many are coming to the game -- and getting a social experience. The food has been upgraded inside the KCAC. They have a prime rib sandwich carving station on Saturday's. This year they also moved the bar to the entire concourse on the side opposite the benches. They sell high-end beer, and also wine and mixed drinks.

I sense they realized basketball alone wasn't enough to draw larger crowds. They have done fantastic in making the game an actual event. The in-game music has been drastically improved (modernized) this year. There is entertainment at every game break.

Joe's teams are also extremely visible in the community. They do jobs at local churches, food drives, ... lots of stuff. Locals have taken notice. They are also a likable bunch. Guys like Chucky engage anybody they meet. People cheer for them and in turn the attendance is rapidly climbing.

Joe had 1-2 pretty unlikable teams in the past five years. The gate took a hit in those years.

Keep in mind you could probably ask about 80% of those in attendance last night what IUP's record was and nobody would know. But, they come in and cheer (and spend money). I'm just waiting for IUP to start charging for basketball parking like they do for football. It's coming. Too much money to pass up.

I will say for the first time since Darryl Webb left IUP really does have a homecourt advantage this year. The crowds have been loud and engaged. As I said the other day the Cal game 10 days ago was the loudest that building has been in forever.

Comment

• Photos IUP posted from the last game sure as heck don't look like 3,000. Was anybody there and can confirm? Maybe its an old pic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Photos IUP posted from the last game sure as heck don't look like 3,000. Was anybody there and can confirm? Maybe its an old pic.
                I was at the game. I wouldn't have guessed the 3,012 but it was pretty full. I'd have guessed 2,500 to 2,700 for sure. What can be deceiving is most of the crowd sits across from the teams and in the horseshoe curve. The students all get crammed in across from the IUP bench. The side which appears in most photos is the benches side which is almost always the less populated side (kind of the unoffical senior citizen side).

The ladies also had a big crowd last night. It emptied out with about 10-11 minutes left in the men's game as it was well over. So, if they were late game photos then it would have looked much lighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I was at the game. I wouldn't have guessed the 3,012 but it was pretty full. I'd have guessed 2,500 to 2,700 for sure. What can be deceiving is most of the crowd sits across from the teams and in the horseshoe curve. The students all get crammed in across from the IUP bench. The side which appears in most photos is the benches side which is almost always the less populated side (kind of the unoffical senior citizen side).

The ladies also had a big crowd last night. It emptied out with about 10-11 minutes left in the men's game as it was well over. So, if they were late game photos then it would have looked much lighter.

Comment

• I'm excited to head back next weekend for the SRU game. I'm hoping for a big number.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I'm not sure how it wouldn't. By the way you explain it at least. You are theoretically always going to be putting 2 teams back on the road to play a game. What if the 1 and 2 seeds aren't close? IUP, Ship, and WLU are all in the mix to potentially host. All are fairly close.

What if, hypothetically, Gannon was the top seed in the men's and women's bracket and hosted. For a lack of confusion, we'll only run with the men's side and say that Fayetteville State was the 2 seed... 2-7 and 3-6 go to North Carolina while 1-8 and 4-5 go to Erie. You put 6 teams on the road to begin with. So that's 6 instead of 7 teams traveling. I can get with that. But then, let's say that the fourth seed, East Stroudsburg, comes out of the 2nd round and has to play Gannon in the regional final. I'm not sure how travel costs were reduced in that scenario.

East Stroud, a team from northeast PA, would drive to North Carolina for two games. After that, they would then spend another full day on a bus driving to the northwest corner of the state. That makes absolutely zero sense to me.

You did yeoman's work during football season evaluating travel items as it pertains to mileage, flights, etc. I'm not concerned about that. I'm looking at it from the standpoint of efficiencies of travel. The travel plan that I just laid out should never have to happen. This opens the door for that to happen. I just don't agree.

If a university has the infrastructure, facilities, and accommodations to host both, they should host both. I don't know how everything gets split financially, but I feel like that impacts the amount of revenue a school could generate from the event.

Speaking of split regionals, the 2010 women's regional was split for some reason (prescribed at start of the year, not Gannon's choice). Top seeded Gannon hosted the 1-8/4-5 games and second-seeded Cal hosted 2-7/3-6 with the top remaining seed hosting the final. Third-seeded Millersville upset Cal, but Gannon beat fourth-seeded Seton Hill. If SH upset Gannon, both Millersville & Gannon (along with game & NCAA officials) would have to hightail it to the other end of the state and Millersville would have to prepare the facilities and assemble a game staff to host an NCAA regional final on less than 48 hours notice. The split hosting was never done since.

Comment

• These next two games lacking Chucky are going to be tough! Mercyhurst looks like they are starting to gel and hopefully Joe speeds up the physical Rock team. They get past those two and then it's pretty favorable up till the UPJ game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          These next two games lacking Chucky are going to be tough! Mercyhurst looks like they are starting to gel and hopefully Joe speeds up the physical Rock team. They get past those two and then it's pretty favorable up till the UPJ game.
                          Has anyone heard for sure that Chucky will be out for the SRU game next saturday ?

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Has anyone heard for sure that Chucky will be out for the SRU game next saturday ?
                            He will be evaluated next week. I'll be shocked if he doesn't play against SRU.

Comment

• Here's the image from the IUP Athletics story on the game. Either its an old pic or as you say taken from late in the game when the seats emptied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                Here's the image from the IUP Athletics story on the game. Either its an old pic or as you say taken from late in the game when the seats emptied.

Oh yeah ... that was DEFINITELY near the end. IUP electronically scans every ticket as you enter.

Yet another advantage of having more redshirts and injured players than bench players ... you get to have your superstar still in a meaningless game while up 30-some with 4 minutes to play. I get so nervous when they have to leave those guys in during garbage time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X