Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP's average gate is now over 2,000 (2,031). That's up from 1,503 a year ago. That's a gigantic leap.

Joe's had 3,000+ for (5) straight home games. I'd venture to guess that may be a school record.

2019-20 - 2,031
    2018-19 - 1,503
    2017-18 - 1,133
    2016-17 - 1,367
    2015-16 - 1,364
    2014-15 - 1,330
    2013-14 - 2,090
    2012-13 - 1,587
    2011-12 - 1,435

Hard to say what this Edinboro game will get in the door on Wednesday night. It's a real big ladies' game. Joe's game not so much. The regular season finale next Saturday night with UPJ will get a huge crowd. The athletic department has done a great job getting more people inside the building this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      IUP's average gate is now over 2,000 (2,031). That's up from 1,503 a year ago. That's a gigantic leap.

Joe's had 3,000+ for (5) straight home games. I'd venture to guess that may be a school record.

2019-20 - 2,031
      2018-19 - 1,503
      2017-18 - 1,133
      2016-17 - 1,367
      2015-16 - 1,364
      2014-15 - 1,330
      2013-14 - 2,090
      2012-13 - 1,587
      2011-12 - 1,435

Hard to say what this Edinboro game will get in the door on Wednesday night. It's a real big ladies' game. Joe's game not so much. The regular season finale next Saturday night with UPJ will get a huge crowd. The athletic department has done a great job getting more people inside the building this year.
      Anything particular that the athletic department did to boost attendance?

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Anything particular that the athletic department did to boost attendance?
        I got in to the topic in a little further detail a couple weeks back, but I think in large part they just really made it a goal over the past two years to get people in to the building -- meaning they focused on first-time fans to give it a try.

The product was good. The building is first-class. However, I think all D2 teams face that same issue -- they are still viewed as 'just D2' by many casual fans. If they could get people to come just once and see the quality of the games, the amenities, etc., ... they'd come back. To do this they started hosting every kind of night you can think of ... church night, Cub Scout Night, high school cheerleader night, etc. Slowly, the plan started to work. This is the first year ever that large numbers of high school kids are showing up on Saturday nights.

The KCAC game-day atmosphere also needed a total fresh start. They were playing to the old crowd way too much. This year they modernized the music and time-out entertainment. They moved the bar from basically a big closet out in to the entire concourse opposite the benches. Joe also will only play on Saturday night, which in itself is a big boost. The Hilton opening next door was a big factor, too. The restaurant and bar get packed before and after games. They've really made Saturday night an event more than a game. I think that's the single biggest item. This current stretch of 3,000+ for the past five games ... the atmosphere in there has been electric -- certainly better than many mid-major D1 programs. In fact, I'd go as far to say the crowd really played a big role in both the Slippery Rock blowout and Gannon win.

Lastly, and perhaps very important, is they really have a likable team this year. Those guys are the most popular kids on campus. Joe also has them all over town. They go to the elementary schools. They volunteer at church events. Not every team to come through here has been likable. A few in recent memory unfortunately come to mind. I don't know how long it will last but it's sure working right now. It's the polar opposite of the past couple years where they were just getting about 1,200 or so and a very lame crowd at that.

Comment

• Comment

• It's official Regional Ranking Day -- first release.

Let's take a look at Joe's body of work.

Record: 16-2 PSAC | 21-2 overall | D2 record 20-2

Best wins: @ Le Moyne, East Stroudsburg, Mercyhurst, Gannon (twice), California (twice), @ UPJ,

Losses: @ Shippensburg, @ Mercyhurst

Hard to say how the Top 10 will fall (they will list 10 teams today). However, I suspect Le Moyne, East Stroudsburg, Mercyhurst, California and UPJ will be in the the Top 10. If that's the case, it would give Joe a 6-2 initial record against ranked teams (once ranked always ranked for this category). They'd get a nice boost if Gannon can squirm their way in during the next two releases. Le Moyne counts as they are in a neighboring (touching) state region.

IUP will take an S.O.S. hit starting tonight. The next three games are Edinboro, @Seton Hill and @Clarion. UPJ visits in the regular season finale next Saturday night.

Comment

It's official Regional Ranking Day -- first release.

Let's take a look at Joe's body of work.

Record: 16-2 PSAC | 21-2 overall | D2 record 20-2

Best wins: @ Le Moyne, East Stroudsburg, Mercyhurst, Gannon (twice), California (twice), @ UPJ,

Losses: @ Shippensburg, @ Mercyhurst

Hard to say how the Top 10 will fall (they will list 10 teams today). However, I suspect Le Moyne, East Stroudsburg, Mercyhurst, California and UPJ will be in the the Top 10. If that's the case, it would give Joe a 6-2 initial record against ranked teams (once ranked always ranked for this category). They'd get a nice boost if Gannon can squirm their way in during the next two releases. Le Moyne counts as they are in a neighboring (touching) state region.

IUP will take an S.O.S. hit starting tonight. The next three games are Edinboro, @Seton Hill and @Clarion. UPJ visits in the regular season finale next Saturday night.

LeMoyne not in this region though or do you mean regionally ranked period?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

LeMoyne not in this region though or do you mean regionally ranked period?
                They are in a region that boarders the PSAC so in that one category about record against ranked teams ... that win will count. As it damn well should. That's not an easy place to play -- and they are a really good team.

Comment

• First for everything. The Rock Rowdies Twitter page ... notoriously not an IUP friendly ... gave a shoutout to the KCAC crowd. LOL. Called the place 'LIT'

They also were complaining that they got to host IUP over break. That's a legit complaint. The PSAC scheduling rivalry games over break is just beyond idiotic.

Comment

However, I suspect Le Moyne, East Stroudsburg, Mercyhurst, California and UPJ will be in the the Top 10.
                    I'd be surprised if more than four PSAC teams were in the top 10.

EDIT: After discovering that I was missing a Johnson C. Smith loss, I'd be slightly less surprised now.
                    Last edited by Inkblot; 02-19-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• The Thanksgiving game that Bridgeport cancelled on IUP ... would have been quite a show. They also are ranked No. 1 in today's Regional Rankings (East Region). Le Moyne is No. 4 in the East.

Comment

The Thanksgiving game that Bridgeport cancelled on IUP ... would have been quite a show. They also are ranked No. 1 in today's Regional Rankings (East Region). Le Moyne is No. 4 in the East.
                        What's the story with why that game was cancelled?

Comment

• If there is a bigger cry-baby in the PSAC than Jaryn Simpson .... somebody please let me know who it is ... wow.

Comment

If there is a bigger cry-baby in the PSAC than Jaryn Simpson .... somebody please let me know who it is ... wow.

Comment

• When he inevitably grad transfers after a few more games ... I'd take him as a deep rotation guy next year. Just sayin'

How about that big fella ... Trey Staunch going for 28 tonight.

Comment

When he inevitably grad transfers after a few more games ... I'd take him as a deep rotation guy next year. Just sayin'

How about that big fella ... Trey Staunch going for 28 tonight.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X