Seton Hill 38

Final

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        IUP 89
        Seton Hill 38

Final

Comment

• IUP held Seton Hill star Nathan Davis to 2 points today.

The 38 points given up .... it's been a long time since they held somebody in the 30s.

Comment

• Saturday night is Fan Appreciation Night. See release from IUP below:

Todd Garzarelli. "Our fans and the Indiana Community have made the Kovalchick Complex the toughest place to play in the PSAC and that is proven each night with impressive wins by our nationally-ranked women's and men's programs.

"We want to show how grateful we are for their support, so we've partnered with Aramark at the Kovalchick Complex to offer this 'Fan Appreciation' deal. I can't wait to see the awesome crowd that greets the Crimson Hawks this Saturday night!"

Both IUP women's and men's basketball programs boast the top attendance figures in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) this season, as well as having some of the best turnouts in all of Division II.

Each program excels on its home floor as the women and men have a combined 27-1 home record this season.

At the conclusion of each game Saturday, fans can join the women's and men's teams from their seats in a short celebration of the regular season as the Crimson Hawks look forward to another postseason that runs through Indiana and the Kovalchick Complex.

The 2020 PSAC Championships begin next week, and with a pair of No. 1 seeds, IUP will host a doubleheader in the quarterfinal round Wednesday night, March 4.

Kovalchick Complex Box Office HoursFollow
            For up-to-date game information, visit www.IUPAthletics.com and follow IUP Men's Basketball on Twitter @IUPCrimsonHawk and @IUP_MBB.

For up-to-date game information, visit www.IUPAthletics.com and follow IUP Women's Basketball on Twitter @IUPCrimsonHawk and @IUP_WBB.

Comment

• Gary Edwards wrote a great column last week sharing his thoughts on the 'transfer portal' and how it's become all the rage in college basketball. This past summer his best returning player asked to be put in the portal ... 'to test the D1 waters'. The day before fall classes started he left -- leaving Edwards high and dry.

My personal opinion is the portal is going to ruin D2 basketball -- in particular for the average and weak programs. It's too easy to leave now. If the big schools pass you ... go to a Clarion or Seton Hill for a year and then bolt.

My guess is there will be a lot of the better players in the PSAC who currently reside on lesser teams looking for new homes in the very near future (as in next week). Seton Hill could get gutted. They have a couple nice freshmen. The big guy from Ligonier Valley would be attractive to most schools. The guard from the DMV. Same with Clarion.

I think this is going to make the poor teams a feeder system for the wealthy -- almost a developmental league within the league.

Comment

Gary Edwards wrote a great column last week sharing his thoughts on the 'transfer portal' and how it's become all the rage in college basketball. This past summer his best returning player asked to be put in the portal ... 'to test the D1 waters'. The day before fall classes started he left -- leaving Edwards high and dry.

My personal opinion is the portal is going to ruin D2 basketball -- in particular for the average and weak programs. It's too easy to leave now. If the big schools pass you ... go to a Clarion or Seton Hill for a year and then bolt.

My guess is there will be a lot of the better players in the PSAC who currently reside on lesser teams looking for new homes in the very near future (as in next week). Seton Hill could get gutted. They have a couple nice freshmen. The big guy from Ligonier Valley would be attractive to most schools. The guard from the DMV. Same with Clarion.

I think this is going to make the poor teams a feeder system for the wealthy -- almost a developmental league within the league.
                Would those stronger teams have the clout to kill any thoughts of reinstituting the old rules limiting transferring within the conference ?

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Would those stronger teams have the clout to kill any thoughts of reinstituting the old rules limiting transferring within the conference ?
                  I doubt it. They are the beneficiary.

Comment

I doubt it. They are the beneficiary.
                    Maybe I misstated my question. If the schools that are losing players push to change the rules to discourage transfers, say a one season suspension, would the better schools put up resistance ?

Comment

• The closest game IUP has had against Clarion in the past decade came on Wednesday night, Feb. 10, 2016.

IUP won, 69-68, after trailing by 8 points at halftime.

Clarion's football and wrestling teams all sat court-side and made it a very tough environment. They announced a crowd of 701 that night but it was well over 1,300. Clarion didn't scan tickets for students. If anybody can remember the old days inside Tippin, it can be one of the loudest gyms around when crowded. It has extremely low ceilings and terrible acoustics.

Add to it, Dante Lombardi and Daddy Ugbede were in serious foul trouble much of the game. Believe it or not (sarcasm) Joe had a short bench to start so having two guys out really hurt. Making matters worse, Jacobo Diaz dressed but due to injury hobbled through just 11 unproductive minutes before he was sat down for the night. Walk-on C.J. Rudisill had to take his place. Recall, Devon Cottrell was also out.

The Golden Eagles hit some miraculous shots in the second half. In fact, Clarion missed a FT with 2 seconds left that would have tied the game. Had the game gone to OT, Joe may have played 4 guys -- by default. On the missed FT, IUP's Tevin Hanner rebounded it and was instantly fouled. No time ran. Hanner than missed both FTs, giving Clarion one more shot. A long heave just missed -- and, I mean, just missed.

On the night, IUP shot a terrible 19-30 from the FT line. Brandon Norfleet led all scorers with 22 points. IUP trailed almost the whole way up until the final minutes.

The part of the trip I'll never forget -- aside from the thrilling ending -- was the ride home. All day the forecast for Clarion was calling for just flurries. As anybody who spends time up in the mountains near Clarion knows, that can change real quick. And, naturally, it did. I remember walking out of Tippin Gym and thinking WTF. It was snowing. Hard. Not a good place to be in a fluke snow storm. My ride home that night took well over 3 hours -- and would normally take just over 60 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Maybe I misstated my question. If the schools that are losing players push to change the rules to discourage transfers, say a one season suspension, would the better schools put up resistance ?
                        It's an NCAA thing (not unique to the PSAC). In D1 the same thing is happening. The mid-majors are essentially turning in to a feeder system. Locally, Robert Morris has been gutted several times.

Comment

It's an NCAA thing (not unique to the PSAC). In D1 the same thing is happening. The mid-majors are essentially turning in to a feeder system. Locally, Robert Morris has been gutted several times.
                          Are individual leagues, at any level, allowed to restrict Intra-conference transfers in any way ?

Comment

• Clarion uses Stretch Internet. Women's game freezing already. Expect yet another awful web feed tonight.

Why can't they fox fix this crap already? Year after year.

Comment

• Tom's down 8 after one quarter. Look terrible. I don't get how this team is so awful in the first quarter. All season. It's just baffling.

They'll win this one but this opening quarter thing is tiresome.

Comment

• On schedule Tom responds with 25 points in the second quarter and is up 5 at the half.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X