• Show
Clear All

• Women QF Friday night.
    Men QF Sat afternoon
    Women SF Sat night.
    Men SF Sun night
    Finals Mon and Tue

Comment

• Gannon women (2 seed) and Mercyhurst men (6 seed) get the advantage of staying home in Erie.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Well, if we see Ship again it will be on our turf. Two games against them in Heiges was enough.

Can't say enough about Shawndale Jones. For the 'sixth man' to get PSAC Tournament MVP says a lot. There was no answer for him this weekend. If you wanna sellout on Malik and Armoni ... Shawndale will kill you. Off the boxscore is the fact he had to go down low and bang with Ethan and Chucky in (ticky tack) foul trouble.

The officiating unfortunately changed the whole game. Refs wanna be the damn show.

I actually thought Benton and Ulrich did fine today. Consider Ulrich hasn't played in like 6 games .... he went in there and banged. He gets called for breathing. He's a bit of a 'goon' out there. People feel it when he fouls them. Incredibly strong dude. Those two had to play. No choice. And, IUP was able to hold the lead while they were in the game. Shawn got a couple nice boards. He is a hack, though. Lol.

Chucky and Carlos Carter both had to sit a ton. Pretty heated game.
        There were some nickel-dime fouls, but Ulrich could have fouled out twice. He went in there and banged all right. Jones did have an amazing weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
          Gannon women (2 seed) and Mercyhurst men (6 seed) get the advantage of staying home in Erie.
          editing myself. Gannon women and West Liberty men get to host the 2/7 and 3/6 matchups.

Comment

• IUP Twitter says the men's game is Friday. That's odd. Must be new this year.

Comment

IUP Twitter says the men's game is Friday. That's odd. Must be new this year.
              Games are Friday / Saturday/ Tuesday for both split regionals. Gives some travel time and possibly some time for a lower seed to prepare to host final if both 1 and 2 seeds lose. I

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Games are Friday / Saturday/ Tuesday for both split regionals. Gives some travel time and possibly some time for a lower seed to prepare to host final if both 1 and 2 seeds lose. I
                I don't think they would go to a new site if 1 & 2 lose, would they? When Wheeling lost to Mercy in the first round a few years ago, they still had to play gracious host to the rest of the tournament. I would guess that IUP would be hosting the regional final even if it's a Ship vs. Charleston game.

When the press release says "highest remaining seed" will host the final, I read that to mean the highest remaining seed of the two host sites. So, in the scenario you present where both IUP & WLU lose, I suspect they would just use IUP as the host for the final. But I could be totally wrong.
                Last edited by Scrub; 03-09-2020, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I don't think they would go to a new site if 1 & 2 lose, would they? When Wheeling lost to Mercy in the first round a few years ago, they still had to play gracious host to the rest of the tournament. I would guess that IUP would be hosting the regional final even if it's a Ship vs. Charleston game.

When the press release says "highest remaining seed" will host the final, I read that to mean the highest remaining seed of the two host sites. So, in the scenario you present where both IUP & WLU lose, I suspect they would just use IUP as the host for the final. But I could be totally wrong.
                  I'd assume IUP will issue some information today. This is a fairly odd situation. The IUP men and women are both playing Friday. I'm assuming the two ladies' games will be at 12 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. and then the two men's games will be 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Sounds like a 'sick day' to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Awhile back, I have no idea which thread it was in, but Inkblot detailed a split regional scenario that played out last year and both the of the top 2 seeds were eliminated before the final and the championship game was held on the home floor of the the higher seeded team that was actually playing in the game. So I do believe they will move the championship game to an entirely different location if the top 2 seeds are knocked out.

Comment

• What an awesome problem to have! Sincere congratulations to IUP for capturing both #1 seeds and for working out scheduling so that they both get to play at home/host.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Awhile back, I have no idea which thread it was in, but Inkblot detailed a split regional scenario that played out last year and both the of the top 2 seeds were eliminated before the final and the championship game was held on the home floor of the the higher seeded team that was actually playing in the game. So I do believe they will move the championship game to an entirely different location if the top 2 seeds are knocked out.
                        Wow. Maybe so. It did happen last year in the Southwest when West Texas A&M earned hosting rights on both men's and women's sides, so half the men's bracket shifted to St. Ed's. That's when the precedent was set. But I didn't realize that it played out that both WTAMU & St. Ed's LOST before the final.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                          What an awesome problem to have! Sincere congratulations to IUP for capturing both #1 seeds and for working out scheduling so that they both get to play at home/host.
                          The really sad part is that IUP has the infrastructure to fully host both given the Memorial Field House and KCAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The really sad part is that IUP has the infrastructure to fully host both given the Memorial Field House and KCAC.
                            They could've hosted both without using the field house other than practice purposes. It's a joke... Other than the host, all games should be neutral, period!!!

Comment

• Taking a look at Winston-Salem State:

* WSSU has 10 losses -- by a combined 40 points. Their largest margin of defeat was 9 points. They had losses by 2, 1, 1, 2 and 3 points. So, they are a couple buckets here and there away from having a much different record.

* 11-4 at home, 3-0 neutral and 5-6 in true road games.

* Stats:
                              PPG - 69.6
                              FG% - 42.5
                              3PT% - 31.8 (about 19 attempts per game)
                              FT% - 68.5
                              Rebounds - 37.9 per game (+3.7 for season)
                              Defense - 64.2 ppg allowed

* Leading scorer - Senior guard Robert Colon (17 ppg)

* If you go by the season stats, WSSU likes to play a heavy guard lineup. In the regular rotation, only one post player (Mason Harrell) seems to play heavy minutes. He averages 22.2 mpg. They have a lot of nice-size guards in the 6'4" range -- very athletic. Lots of speed.

* Of note, former Pitt point guard Justice Kithcart is listed on the WSSU roster. After being dismissed at Pitt, he went to Old Dominion. From there, he landed at WSSU. He comes off the bench and is playing about 21 mpg and averaging 7.5 points.

* Nine players average double digit minutes

* Against stronger teams:
                              - 0-2 vs. Virginia State
                              - 1-1 vs. Bowie State
                              - 3-0 vs. Fayetteville State
                              - 1-1 vs. Virginia Union
                              - 1-1 vs. Johnson C. Smith

Comment

Taking a look at Winston-Salem State:

* WSSU has 10 losses -- by a combined 40 points. Their largest margin of defeat was 9 points. They had losses by 2, 1, 1, 2 and 3 points. So, they are a couple buckets here and there away from having a much different record.

* 11-4 at home, 3-0 neutral and 5-6 in true road games.

* Stats:
                                PPG - 69.6
                                FG% - 42.5
                                3PT% - 31.8 (about 19 attempts per game)
                                FT% - 68.5
                                Rebounds - 37.9 per game (+3.7 for season)
                                Defense - 64.2 ppg allowed

* Leading scorer - Senior guard Robert Colon (17 ppg)

* If you go by the season stats, WSSU likes to play a heavy guard lineup. In the regular rotation, only one post player (Mason Harrell) seems to play heavy minutes. He averages 22.2 mpg. They have a lot of nice-size guards in the 6'4" range -- very athletic. Lots of speed.

* Of note, former Pitt point guard Justice Kithcart is listed on the WSSU roster. After being dismissed at Pitt, he went to Old Dominion. From there, he landed at WSSU. He comes off the bench and is playing about 21 mpg and averaging 7.5 points.

* Nine players average double digit minutes

* Against stronger teams:
                                - 0-2 vs. Virginia State
                                - 1-1 vs. Bowie State
                                - 3-0 vs. Fayetteville State
                                - 1-1 vs. Virginia Union
                                - 1-1 vs. Johnson C. Smith

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X