Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Nice post! Yeah, I really loved the Memorial Field House and really miss it. The KCAC is no doubt a beautiful place but it just lacks something that MFH had about it. There is just no comparison to me. I remember being at a few of those packed IUP-Cal games. Those were just plain nuts. Yup, they sat on the steps even.

I just looked up the picture of Gary and the team. What year would this be? I can't say that I can name any of the players on first sight. Who were they?
    I beleive that is the 1998 team.

I'll pull the numerical roster.

Geoff Evans, Brian Brennan, Sly McIntosh, Rodney Horton ...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Okay, 1998. I'm not sure if I was following IUP sports real close around that time. They look like a TOUGH bunch of dudes. What number is Horton?

Comment

Three names I helped stay academically eligible!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Three names I helped stay academically eligible!

LOL ... yeah, Gary's teams weren't quite the 'student-athletes' that Joe targets.

Comment

• Were you guys on campus when the IUP gals made the (what was it?) Elite Eight in '99? Was that a big deal or didn't anybody really follow them back then?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
              Were you guys on campus when the IUP gals made the (what was it?) Elite Eight in '99? Was that a big deal or didn't anybody really follow them back then?
              I remember the team well. In fact, they were ranked No. 1 in the country on I beleive two different occasions. The '99 team was very deep -- and very big.

The ladies didn't have near the following back then as they do today. Tom is getting about 1,100 a game ... which a huge number for D2 women's basketball.

Sandy Thomas had several really good teams in that era. She was tough.

Comment

I remember the team well. In fact, they were ranked No. 1 in the country on I beleive two different occasions. The '99 team was very deep -- and very big.

The ladies didn't have near the following back then as they do today. Tom is getting about 1,100 a game ... which a huge number for D2 women's basketball.

Sandy Thomas had several really good teams in that era. She was tough.
                Absolutely! 2002-03 was my first year following IUP hoops that closely. Her team was terrific that year. Some great memories of that time at Memorial Field House. PSAC women's basketball was probably the best kept secret at that time that most folks knew nothing at all about. In addition to the great play on the court----plenty of acrobatic cheerleaders, a black bear for the IUP mascot, and a zippy pep band that loved to play the theme from Hawaii Five-O. It was all quite a time to be there.

Comment

• Joe's opening No. 4 in the NABC Coaches' Top 25.

Also from the Atlantic, West Liberty (7), Fairmont State (20) and Charleston (22).

No other PSAC teams made the poll.

Mercyhurst is a pure snub.

I think a case could easily be made for Shippensburg and East Stroudsburg.

Comment

Joe's opening No. 4 in the NABC Coaches' Top 25.

Also from the Atlantic, West Liberty (7), Fairmont State (20) and Charleston (22).

No other PSAC teams made the poll.

Mercyhurst is a pure snub.

I think a case could easily be made for Shippensburg and East Stroudsburg.
                    As you post this, PSAC winter sports were announced as being canceled.

Comment

As you post this, PSAC winter sports were announced as being canceled.
                      I told my buddy at work (Slippery Rock grad) that when the PSAC cancels winter sports it would be a low point for me in 2020. He didn't understand. Didn't expect him too.

Comment

• Well ... I think IUP could play basketball -- money-wise. But, whom they would play is the question. They are permitted to play if they so choose. Obviously, there is no conference season.

Putting a schedule together wouldn't be easy. I do expect a few teams to play. Gannon and Mercyhurst, from what I hear, are going to try and give it a go. The MEC is (as of this moment) still planning to play.

With the team Joe has this year ... they are going to do everything possible to play. At least, that's what some little birdies are telling me.

Comment

• Looks like today is the deadline.

LOCK HAVEN, PA
                          - The Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference has announced the cancellation of its mandated regular-season and championship competition for winter sports following a vote of the league's Board of Directors.

Last week, the Board canceled PSAC Championship seasons in fall sports, yet allowed for league championship opportunities in those sports should six or more schools elect to participate. All schools electing to play must abide by existing league rules and the NCAA Guidelines that have been set due to the existing Covid-19 Pandemic. The same requirements exist for the winter sports that have been canceled.

Last week the Board agreed to proceed with the intent to play a full regular and championship season for all spring sports in 2021.

Should member institutions wish to compete in fall and winter sport championship seasons, they are to declare their intent to the conference office by the end of the work day Wednesday, November 18. The PSAC office will review all notifications and make an announcement as soon as possible as to whether there is support to continue with a championship season in any of those sports.

"With careful consideration to health concerns and realistic abilities to conduct sport seasons amid this pandemic, our conference and our membership is forced to make some very difficult decisions," said PSAC Commissioner Steve Murray. "With the time we have to continue weighing our options, we are fully committed to playing a spring sports season. We will remain supportive of any other decisions to play sports and host championship events should our membership view it as a safe and reasonable opportunity."

Fall and winter sports that may be subject to cancellation include: men's and women's basketball, cross country, indoor track & field, soccer and swimming, as well as women's sports in volleyball and field hockey, and men's sports in football and wrestling. Any cancellation of league schedules or championships does not preclude individual institutions from participating in countable athletically related activities nor exploring competition outside of the previously mandated schedule.

Comment

• IUP has the guns to play basketball but maybe one other PSAC might run with them. It's crazy... who does Joe play? Will West Liberty buck up and play? I wanted this basketball season in the worst way for some normalcy but who else would play? Does IUP even play??? Does Demo stick around for another season after this shortened one? FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!

Comment

IUP has the guns to play basketball but maybe one other PSAC might run with them. It's crazy... who does Joe play? Will West Liberty buck up and play? I wanted this basketball season in the worst way for some normalcy but who else would play? Does IUP even play??? Does Demo stick around for another season after this shortened one? FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!
                              As of now, the MEC is planning to play.

Purely hypothetical but if IUP, Gannon and Mercyhurst elect to play ... could you make some sort of big MEC?

Comment

IUP has the guns to play basketball but maybe one other PSAC might run with them. It's crazy... who does Joe play? Will West Liberty buck up and play? I wanted this basketball season in the worst way for some normalcy but who else would play? Does IUP even play??? Does Demo stick around for another season after this shortened one? FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!
                                Demo is certainly a pro-level player overseas. That said, he probably needs some more game film. I could see him sticking around.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X