Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will sure be nice to hear Jack's voice tonight.

The game will be broadcast but not by IUP's normal crew. Sounds like a local is going to do it through his company. Very nice gesture.

From the photo they posted this morning it looks like they may be at full strength tonight.

Comment

• Shawndale not playing tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Shawndale not playing tonight.

Comment

• Clarion starts 5-5 from deep.

Lol no matter who we play ....

Appears no Morris tonight unless he's on the bench.

Comment

• Joe better quit treating this like a JV game or they may get blown out. WTF is up with these lineups?

Comment

• So no Shawndale, Morris and now Porterfield hasn't played since the first minute.

Wonder what's up?

Comment

• The worst half of basketball perhaps ever under Joe Lombardi.

Comment

• Be thankful you didn't have to watch it.

Comment

• I actually have no idea what I just watched. Radford hardly played at all. Polce is playing heavy minutes (hasn't played all season). Porterfield barely played. Morris is dressed but didn't play at all. The defense is just non-existent. Double-digit turnovers. Sloppy. Unorganized.

I sure hope David plays in the second half. They are lucky not to be down 25 points at half. Clarion hit 9 treys in the first half.

Comment

• Final

IUP 77
                      Clarion 74

Gotta get healthy and a lot cleaner.

Incredible effort from Clarion.

Comment

• That may have been the last game. No idea if anybody else is even playing.

Some observations:

* Obviously not having Shawndale Jones for three games completely changed their offense and defense. He's their second best offensive player and perhaps their best defensive player. Without him teams could smother Armoni. With him that option isn't available. He is returning next season. So, it's hard to grasp much without him. At his size, power, skill level and speed, he's a mismatch at this level.

* The three freshman guards have some work to do. Radford is the most ready to play, but he's showing an inability to stay on the floor. He's fouling at very high rates. His three quickies last night really put them in a jam in the first half with Morris sitting out. His offensive upside is very apparent. KJ Rhodes doesn't seem to be playing with much confidence. Hopefully that comes in time. Polce seemed to play ok on the defensive end. He had a red light on offense. That was his college debut in what was a very tight game. He played a lot of minutes.

* The post is pretty set.

- Diop had a very productive game last night in low minutes. He's going to be a great asset off the bench in spurts next year. He's very athletic for 6'10" and that jump hook last night was beautiful. He also had a monster rebound and long-pass assist for a key trey. Lot of upside.

- Demo looked better. He's still rounding back from the ACL. No worries about him.

- Porterfield was kind of a mystery last night. He sat most of the first half. He wasn't in foul trouble. He hit some really big shots in the second half.

- Solimane has monster upside. He's an imposing guy at about 6'7" and a built 230 lbs. He had very good moments -- and a couple freshman moments as expected. He's going to be special.

No idea why Morris had to sit the first half. Obviously the whole game changed when he came back in for the second half. He played a really strong defensive game. I thought he forced some things offensively. He's a major key the next two years.

Armoni had a strong Spring. He needs some help on the offensive end in regard to having another guard lighten his load. Shawndale will fix that. Adding a ready-to-play shooting guard should be the only priority this summer.

If it was just three games I think they were an important three games. Playing live opponents is invaluable for young players. They had to play with some makeshift lineups, etc., but regardless. The turnovers last night - most self-inflicted - were alarming.

Next year I'm not sure many of the guys who played some heavy minutes this spring will play very much. I still think Joe will sign a transfer guard this off-season. Casale would be a perfect fit if they can get him.

Next year's rotation (my opinion):

Armoni
                        Morris
                        Shawndale
                        Porterfield
                        Demo

Solomane (20-23 mpg to start)
                        Radford
                        Diop (8-11 mpg)
                        Transfer guard

Reserve/Utility (Rhodes and Benton)

I assume Polce and Cordon will officially redshirt.

Side note: That freshman guard from Clarion is a monster. He's their building block (if they can keep him). Clarion dropped 11 first-half treys last night. That was impressive.

Comment

• A win is a win...

1) I'm sure the crazy line ups and lack of PT for certain players is just Joe seeing what he has.
                          2) To much street ball right now.
                          3) 25 plus turnovers won't win many games.
                          4) Polce and Rhodes clearly aren't ready.
                          5) Sulaiman needs to clean up and he'll be a force.
                          6) Diop sloppy on D.
                          7) Getting Jones on the floor will help big time but do they need another guard?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                            A win is a win...

1) I'm sure the crazy line ups and lack of PT for certain players is just Joe seeing what he has.
                            2) To much street ball right now.
                            3) 25 plus turnovers won't win many games.
                            4) Polce and Rhodes clearly aren't ready.
                            5) Sulaiman needs to clean up and he'll be a force.
                            6) Diop sloppy on D.
                            7) Getting Jones on the floor will help big time but do they need another guard?

In my opinion, yes, they need to add a legit shooting guard. We have three very gifted slashers in David, Armoni and Shawndale. They are all pretty good deep shooters. I think adding a bomber type for kick-outs, etc., would really complicate things for opposing teams. Going old-school to our era, a Geoff Evans type would fit in perfectly on this team -- a 6'5" or 6'6" SG that you can't ignore.

I think for next year, you have to think about what happens if you lose one of the three starting guards for any length of time. Right now, you have four guards on the bench -- all will be either freshmen or redshirt freshmen. As we just saw, adding an experienced college transfer may be very important for next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

In my opinion, yes, they need to add a legit shooting guard. We have three very gifted slashers in David, Armoni and Shawndale. They are all pretty good deep shooters. I think adding a bomber type for kick-outs, etc., would really complicate things for opposing teams. Going old-school to our era, a Geoff Evans type would fit in perfectly on this team -- a 6'5" or 6'6" SG that you can't ignore.

I think for next year, you have to think about what happens if you lose one of the three starting guards for any length of time. Right now, you have four guards on the bench -- all will be either freshmen or redshirt freshmen. As we just saw, adding an experienced college transfer may be very important for next season.
                              I like you're thinking. The portal is full so hopefully they find one.

Redford can shoot but his size/defense is a liability right now. He's young.

I'm just not sure what KJ's role is or can be. He's not a good shooter, he's not great with the ball but he's very athletic/aggressive. He's got time to develop.

Sulaiman and Diop are definitely grinding around the rim.

Demo/Porterfield have the inside/outside match up nightmare covered.

3 attacking guards/slashing guards.

The 3 spot/shooter is open.

I thought Joe was locked in on a PG from Chicago?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I like you're thinking. The portal is full so hopefully they find one.

Redford can shoot but his size/defense is a liability right now. He's young.

I'm just not sure what KJ's role is or can be. He's not a good shooter, he's not great with the ball but he's very athletic/aggressive. He's got time to develop.

Sulaiman and Diop are definitely grinding around the rim.

Demo/Porterfield have the inside/outside match up nightmare covered.

3 attacking guards/slashing guards.

The 3 spot/shooter is open.

I thought Joe was locked in on a PG from Chicago?
                                They offered him but he's flooded with offers.

I'd prefer Casale for next year. Signing a PG with David and Armoni having two years left seems not needed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X