• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Some new info on the schedule:

Teams attending the IUP Tip-Off: UPJ, Concord, West Virginia Wesleyan

Teams attending the IUP Thanksgiving Weekend: Salem, Virginia State, UPJ

Obviously, IUP will not play UPJ at these events.
    I hate to say this but Virginia St is probably the only real competition unless Concord brought in some top talent. Salem and WVWU leave a lot to be desired annually!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I hate to say this but Virginia St is probably the only real competition unless Concord brought in some top talent. Salem and WVWU leave a lot to be desired annually!

I was thinking he may go a little lighter than normal this year. Joe has a tough crossover schedule this year from the East (at Kutztown,, at West Chester, Shippensburg).

Add to it a pair with Mercyhurst, etc., and they will have a pretty solid SOS resume without needing to kill themselves in non-conference. Virginia State will give them one big game. Concord isn't a gimme. They've played well up here and are known for some big wins yearly in the MEC. There should be another game or two announced before we can make a final call.

Comment

I was thinking he may go a little lighter than normal this year. Joe has a tough crossover schedule this year from the East (at Kutztown,, at West Chester, Shippensburg).

Add to it a pair with Mercyhurst, etc., and they will have a pretty solid SOS resume without needing to kill themselves in non-conference. Virginia State will give them one big game. Concord isn't a gimme. They've played well up here and are known for some big wins yearly in the MEC. There should be another game or two announced before we can make a final call.
        Oh I agree... The deal with Concord is they played last year. That's what makes me nervous about them. The IUP style should slow them BUT IUP hasn't played legit games in almost 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Oh I agree... The deal with Concord is they played last year. That's what makes me nervous about them. The IUP style should slow them BUT IUP hasn't played legit games in almost 2 years.
          Not surprising they are opening with WVW and then the following night will play Concord. Good to get a tune-up in first. I assume Joe will play a couple exhibitions to help get that rust off.

Comment

• Concord has had some turnover. Best player Malik Johnson transferred to western New Mexico. Rebounder mulumba is gone.
            Have solid guards in heller, kennedy and weir from Nova se. I think their coach is good.

Wvw lost their coach recently and had a down season last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              Concord has had some turnover. Best player Malik Johnson transferred to western New Mexico. Rebounder mulumba is gone.
              Have solid guards in heller, kennedy and weir from Nova se. I think their coach is good.

Wvw lost their coach recently and had a down season last year.
              I remember in 2019 IUP opened with WVW. I think they thought it was going to be a walk in the park. WVW had like 5-6 dunks in the first half and was up by 6-7 at halftime. I would not have wanted to be in that locker room that night. Joe was ready to explode by the end of the first half.

Said explosion must have worked because IUP won the second half by 35 or so.

As I recall that was the WVW team that actually had a good starting five ... lot of foreign players. I think they actually beat WL that year (once). I know the player who had like four of the dunks on IUP that night transferred out. He was a really good athlete at small forward. IUP just crushed them defensively in the second half.

Comment

I remember in 2019 IUP opened with WVW. I think they thought it was going to be a walk in the park. WVW had like 5-6 dunks in the first half and was up by 6-7 at halftime. I would not have wanted to be in that locker room that night. Joe was ready to explode by the end of the first half.

Said explosion must have worked because IUP won the second half by 35 or so.

As I recall that was the WVW team that actually had a good starting five ... lot of foreign players. I think they actually beat WL that year (once). I know the player who had like four of the dunks on IUP that night transferred out. He was a really good athlete at small forward. IUP just crushed them defensively in the second half.
                How well we remember that team. Wlu was leading 44-26 at half with wvw hitting 33% from 3. Wlu players forgot the game was two halves and started playing hero ball. Wvw hit 90% from 3 (9 of 10) and beat us 94-91 on a three at the buzzer. Coach has never let them forget that game whenever we have a big lead at half. In the return match at wvw, wlu won 97-67.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

How well we remember that team. Wlu was leading 44-26 at half with wvw hitting 33% from 3. Wlu players forgot the game was two halves and started playing hero ball. Wvw hit 90% from 3 (9 of 10) and beat us 94-91 on a three at the buzzer. Coach has never let them forget that game whenever we have a big lead at half. In the return match at wvw, wlu won 97-67.
                  I remember Heller. I think the thought was he was going to be their next Bolte.

Comment

• IUP plays at Bowie State on Friday, Nov. 19.

Never an easy road trip down there. Thanksgiving is the following week so they may just luck out and go down there with most students gone. That place is crazy with the student body there.

Said for years on here you have to respect Bowie State ... they will play anybody, any season.

This coming year in non-conference they scheduled Mercyhurst, Shippensburg, IUP and West Liberty.

Comment

• IUP is playing an exhibition game at Illinois on Oct. 29.

The Illini went 24-7 last season.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 08-23-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

IUP is playing an exhibition game at Illinois on Oct. 29.
                        Now that is great news!!!

Comment

• I'm assuming we'll see one more non-conference game surface. As of now, the 'not posted yet' schedule:

@ Illinois (exhibition)

West Virginia Wesleyan
                          Concord
                          @ Bowie State
                          Salem
                          Virginia State

Comment

• Another ...

Le Moyne at IUP

So much for the lighter non-conf theory lol.

Comment

• Comment

I'm assuming we'll see one more non-conference game surface. As of now, the 'not posted yet' schedule:

@ Illinois (exhibition)

West Virginia Wesleyan
                                Concord
                                @ Bowie State
                                Salem
                                Virginia State
                                The Virginia St game is currently TBA. Did they bail or is it now official?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X