Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

The Virginia St game is currently TBA. Did they bail or is it now official?
    It's listed on VA State's web site official schedule. On our schedule it says CIAA TBA. No idea.

Comment

• Joe has a brutal 'first half' of the season (before XMAS).

@ Illinois (exhibition) - The Illini are going to be one of the best teams in D1 this year. Try and keep it within 30.

Then:

WVW - Should be a nice tune-up game
      Concord - Never an 'easy' one

Le Moyne - High-level non-conf match-up. IUP has won the past two meetings but very tight games

@ Bowie State - Never an easy place to play and a well-coached, tough team. Always very athletic and strong defensively.

Virginia State - High-level non-conf match-up. Two of the top teams in the Atlantic.
      Salem - Hard to grasp ... roster changes so much yearly.

@ Kutztown - Always tough
      @ West Chester - Always tough -- especially at home.

Millersville - Solid program

Shepherd - Record doesn't show it but they play everybody tough
      Shippensburg - This will be a crazy Saturday night at the KCAC even without students on campus. Ship will be very good this year and will bring a huge crowd to Indiana (many WPIAL players on roster).

IUP will be a battle-tested bunch entering West play.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Joe has a brutal 'first half' of the season (before XMAS).

@ Illinois (exhibition) - The Illini are going to be one of the best teams in D1 this year. Try and keep it within 30.

Then:

WVW - Should be a nice tune-up game
        Concord - Never an 'easy' one

Le Moyne - High-level non-conf match-up. IUP has won the past two meetings but very tight games

@ Bowie State - Never an easy place to play and a well-coached, tough team. Always very athletic and strong defensively.

Virginia State - High-level non-conf match-up. Two of the top teams in the Atlantic.
        Salem - Hard to grasp ... roster changes so much yearly.

@ Kutztown - Always tough
        @ West Chester - Always tough -- especially at home.

Millersville - Solid program

Shepherd - Record doesn't show it but they play everybody tough
        Shippensburg - This will be a crazy Saturday night at the KCAC even without students on campus. Ship will be very good this year and will bring a huge crowd to Indiana (many WPIAL players on roster).

IUP will be a battle-tested bunch entering West play.
        What's the connection with with any of these teams? Does anybody know?

Obviously it takes two to tango, but IUP virtually plays the same schools in the non-conference every year (West Virginia Wes, Bowie, Concord, Le Moyne, Virginia State). I know Joe likes a tougher NC slate, but there has to be some connection between these programs aside from location that they virtually all play each other annually.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

What's the connection with with any of these teams? Does anybody know?

Obviously it takes two to tango, but IUP virtually plays the same schools in the non-conference every year (West Virginia Wes, Bowie, Concord, Le Moyne, Virginia State). I know Joe likes a tougher NC slate, but there has to be some connection between these programs aside from location that they virtually all play each other annually.
          Well, you figure Joe hosts two of these 'tournament' weekends each year (Tip-Off and Thanksgiving). So, as you said, all he can do is invite teams.

The coaches at Concord and Virginia State have both commented in the past that they really like coming up here for the weekends -- good competition, accommodations and venue. Both have said IUP is a really good host. We know UPJ will be here every year on those weekends so teams coming in get two nice SOS games. Playing IUP and UPJ back-to-back is very challenging.

I think Bowie State just has that mentality they want to play the best teams available in non-conference. They do it every year.

And, over the years, I think these coaches become friendly so it's easier to schedule them year after year.

We played WVW in (I think) 2014 and then in 2019.

I think Joe likes at least one 'marquee' non-conference game a year and it seems Le Moyne replaced Fairmont State (after that contract ended). And, obviously, Virginia State is a marquee match-up.

This is a tough slate to start the season. After Christmas they still get Mercyhurst, Gannon, UPJ, Cal and SRU twice each. Edinboro and Clarion are both better. The West looks very strong this season. I'd be thrilled to go to Kutztown at 6-0, but, heck, they could be 3-3 going out there.

Comment

• Can someone fill me in on what's happened on this board in the last 18 months? Are we still a darkhorse to land a mystery transfer? Roster still not out?

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
              Can someone fill me in on what's happened on this board in the last 18 months? Are we still a darkhorse to land a mystery transfer? Roster still not out?
              I don't see any more additions coming.

I really wanted the SG from St. Francis (Bryce Laskey) but that doesn't appear to be happening.

The very late signing of the prep school kid last week makes me wonder if somebody left. We will soon see.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                Can someone fill me in on what's happened on this board in the last 18 months? Are we still a darkhorse to land a mystery transfer? Roster still not out?
                You got me thinking. I think the roster is set in stone.

Now, the odd thing is they signed that kid last week very late.

That leads me to beleive Joe made a cut -- presumably from the deep bench.

That said, as you mentioned, the roster isn't posted yet. That can lead you to beleive it's not set yet.

Laskey was just an obvious choice. WPIAL machine. Local. D1 transfer. He also entered the portal past the D1 deadline so without a waiver he'd have to sit this year in a lateral (D1) move. That also said, IUP already started classes. His Twitter has went silent since announcing the transfer. He's a fringe low-level D1 but could be a D2 star.

Joe has a very deep roster right now. Likely, it is his deepest since Webb's big team. The one piece I think it could have used is that 6'5" assasain from the perimeter.

While Armoni, Shawndale and Morris can all shoot, that isn't their primary skill. Adding that knockdown, big SG seemed the ideal piece.

Comment

You got me thinking. I think the roster is set in stone.

Now, the odd thing is they signed that kid last week very late.

That leads me to beleive Joe made a cut -- presumably from the deep bench.

That said, as you mentioned, the roster isn't posted yet. That can lead you to beleive it's not set yet.

Laskey was just an obvious choice. WPIAL machine. Local. D1 transfer. He also entered the portal past the D1 deadline so without a waiver he'd have to sit this year in a lateral (D1) move. That also said, IUP already started classes. His Twitter has went silent since announcing the transfer. He's a fringe low-level D1 but could be a D2 star.

Joe has a very deep roster right now. Likely, it is his deepest since Webb's big team. The one piece I think it could have used is that 6'5" assasain from the perimeter.

While Armoni, Shawndale and Morris can all shoot, that isn't their primary skill. Adding that knockdown, big SG seemed the ideal piece.
                  You can usually enroll within the first week. They allow it because kids also drop out just as quickly.

Comment

• Roster is up.

Only new addition is Forward Callum MacNamara (6'7", 210 lbs) from Australia.

Comment

• The roster still hasn't updated. Joe's two freshmen from NYC aren't listed but they've been in every online photo posted.

Comment

The roster still hasn't updated. Joe's two freshmen from NYC aren't listed but they've been in every online photo posted.
                        Interesting how they aren't on the roster but they have been in all pictures. Wonder what the issue is?

Comment

Interesting how they aren't on the roster but they have been in all pictures. Wonder what the issue is?

My guess is they are participants in Joe's Top Secret redshirt program. There's another big dude in some of the photos that I don't know who it is ... not the kid from Australia but somebody else.

They listed 13 players. We know the two freshmen on campus make 15.

Comment

My guess is they are participants in Joe's Top Secret redshirt program. There's another big dude in some of the photos that I don't know who it is ... not the kid from Australia but somebody else.

They listed 13 players. We know the two freshmen on campus make 15.
                            Maybe Joe is bending some rules?

Comment

Maybe Joe is bending some rules?
                              I doubt it lol.

When they do add these two ... never remember Joe having 15 on roster. Ever.

Comment

I doubt it lol.

When they do add these two ... never remember Joe having 15 on roster. Ever.
                                I just don't know what Joe is going to do with all these players. He usually uses 7/8 guys.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X