Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I just don't know what Joe is going to do with all these players. He usually uses 7/8 guys.
    FOR ONCE, it will be nice to have depth.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, you figure Joe hosts two of these 'tournament' weekends each year (Tip-Off and Thanksgiving). So, as you said, all he can do is invite teams.

The coaches at Concord and Virginia State have both commented in the past that they really like coming up here for the weekends -- good competition, accommodations and venue. Both have said IUP is a really good host. We know UPJ will be here every year on those weekends so teams coming in get two nice SOS games. Playing IUP and UPJ back-to-back is very challenging.

I think Bowie State just has that mentality they want to play the best teams available in non-conference. They do it every year.

And, over the years, I think these coaches become friendly so it's easier to schedule them year after year.

We played WVW in (I think) 2014 and then in 2019.

I think Joe likes at least one 'marquee' non-conference game a year and it seems Le Moyne replaced Fairmont State (after that contract ended). And, obviously, Virginia State is a marquee match-up.

This is a tough slate to start the season. After Christmas they still get Mercyhurst, Gannon, UPJ, Cal and SRU twice each. Edinboro and Clarion are both better. The West looks very strong this season. I'd be thrilled to go to Kutztown at 6-0, but, heck, they could be 3-3 going out there.
      Ship plays a lot of those same schools, usually a couple of the CIAA schools and Bowie about every year. And in December they have Mercyhurt-Gannon coming here and in mid-December go to Pitt-Johnstown and IUP. They start the season playing Virginia Union and Virginia State down there, and then have Virginia State back for a home game in January. Should find out pretty quickly what the Raiders have and don't have this year.

Comment

• Joe's two freshmen from NYC were added to the roster. That's (15) listed.

Of those, (6) are redshirt eligible (Brooks, Dillard, Polce, Burk, Cordon, MacNamara). I'd guess he redshirts at least (3) of them. I don't see any of them being in line for minutes this year based on the returning (set) rotation.

Not always a fan of Joe redshirting players, but there's no point burning eligibility years to be the 13th, 14th and 15th men on the bench.

Comment

Joe's two freshmen from NYC were added to the roster. That's (15) listed.

Of those, (6) are redshirt eligible (Brooks, Dillard, Polce, Burk, Cordon, MacNamara). I'd guess he redshirts at least (3) of them. I don't see any of them being in line for minutes this year based on the returning (set) rotation.

Not always a fan of Joe redshirting players, but there's no point burning eligibility years to be the 13th, 14th and 15th men on the bench.
          You redshirt them! Joe only plays up to 9 guys.

Comment

• Joe's going to get a good workout next week. Illinois is coming in between No. 5 and No. 7 in most preseason polls.

Comment

Joe's going to get a good workout next week. Illinois is coming in between No. 5 and No. 7 in most preseason polls.
              The faired well against Kentucky a few years ago and they were ranked preseason top 5 that year.

Comment

• I was looking at Joe's schedule... Here's a question... Why are almost all of Redshirt Joe's Saturday games matinee affairs? 3 and 3:30 starts? I think the only Saturday night game is on senior night. I have to imagine that's going to drastically hurt student attendance. They always got kids to go to the games before going out to the bars.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                  I was looking at Joe's schedule... Here's a question... Why are almost all of Redshirt Joe's Saturday games matinee affairs? 3 and 3:30 starts? I think the only Saturday night game is on senior night. I have to imagine that's going to drastically hurt student attendance. They always got kids to go to the games before going out to the bars.
                  Didn't notice. Yeah, that would be a massive attendance hit.

Comment

Didn't notice. Yeah, that would be a massive attendance hit.
                    Confirmed. Only game that is a Saturday night conference game is Seton Hill. No clue what the story there is. Wow. That's a major attendance blow.

Comment

Confirmed. Only game that is a Saturday night conference game is Seton Hill. No clue what the story there is. Wow. That's a major attendance blow.
                      Good Lord. They finally got that place rolling on Saturday nights and now go and change it.

Wow.

Sure the ladies will love playing at 1 p.m., too.

Comment

• Wayne Cavadi's Preseason Men's Power 10

1. NWMS
                        2. Flagler
                        3. West Texas A&M
                        4. Colorado Mesa
                        5. Hillsdale
                        6. Nova Southeastern
                        7. IUP
                        8. Queens (NC)
                        9. Truman
                        10. St. Thomas Aquinas

Next 5 Out

Colorado School of Mines
                        Lincoln Memorial
                        Northern State
                        Washburn
                        West Liberty

Comment

Good Lord. They finally got that place rolling on Saturday nights and now go and change it.

Wow.

Do some digging. Find out what the story is. I wondered if it was perhaps a PSAC mandate, but then I figured, they have no issue with teams playing at 7:30 on Monday and Wednesday nights. So I'm not sure of the issue.

Comment

Wow.

I'm sure that's a huge blow for Tom. You have a good time slot for the contingent of IUP WBB only fans. Now you're playing at dinner time for the Valley Dairy crowd. I wonder who made this decision. Can't be Joe.

Comment

I'm sure that's a huge blow for Tom. You have a good time slot for the contingent of IUP WBB only fans. Now you're playing at dinner time for the Valley Dairy crowd. I wonder who made this decision. Can't be Joe.
                              It won't really effect the regulars. Joe would get 1,500 if he scheduled the games at 9 a.m. on Saturdays.

However, at 3 p.m. I can guarantee you aren't going to see those lofty gates in the 3,300+ range very often they were getting in 2019.

If you go from 3,300 to 1,500 in the KCAC -- with those jacked up prices -- that's a major decrease in revenue. That's a whole lot less of those MLB-priced food orders, beer sales, ticket sales, etc. Makes sense for a school going more broke by the day. LOL. If I had to guess, they will copy football and start charging for parking to offset some of the losses.

Comment

It won't really effect the regulars. Joe would get 1,500 if he scheduled the games at 9 a.m. on Saturdays.

However, at 3 p.m. I can guarantee you aren't going to see those lofty gates in the 3,300+ range very often they were getting in 2019.

If you go from 3,300 to 1,500 in the KCAC -- with those jacked up prices -- that's a major decrease in revenue. That's a whole lot less of those MLB-priced food orders, beer sales, ticket sales, etc. Makes sense for a school going more broke by the day. LOL. If I had to guess, they will copy football and start charging for parking to offset some of the losses.
                                To play devils advocate... if they are competing for a national title and are playing good basketball then people will come!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X