Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

To play devils advocate... if they are competing for a national title and are playing good basketball then people will come!!!
    It's just an odd change. They've always been pro Saturday night (going back 30+ years). Wonder what brought this on.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's just an odd change. They've always been pro Saturday night (going back 30+ years). Wonder what brought this on.
      Could it be a KCAC decision?

Comment

, family, etc
        Could it be a KCAC decision?
        It might have to do with the number of staff required for Saturday. I don't know any details, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there is some cost savings having it early. It also allows players and officials to do things on Sat night. So if visitors or family come, they can meet with players and coaches during the evening. maybe hoping to get more people from a linger distance away. -But yes, it is less likely to get the crazy student crowd, but its pretty clear those things are not the priority at IUP these days. Budget is still really bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It might have to do with the number of staff required for Saturday. I don't know any details, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there is some cost savings having it early. It also allows players and officials to do things on Sat night. So if visitors or family come, they can meet with players and coaches during the evening. maybe hoping to get more people from a linger distance away. -But yes, it is less likely to get the crazy student crowd, but its pretty clear those things are not the priority at IUP these days. Budget is still really bad.
          It won't be good. I know Joe has a massive following compared to just about every other D2 (and some low-end D1) fan base(s) around, but I have no doubt the gate will take a hit over this move.
          I've been to a ton of away games at 3 p.m. It's just not the same atmosphere. Tough to get students during the day.

They'll still get the biggest gates in the league (probably by far) ... but I don't see those 3,400+ gates like they had rolling in 2019 playing in the afternoon. You're starting to then compete with youth basketball, blah blah blah. So, you'll probably lose the casual families, etc.

Who knows, maybe it will be a hit. But, I highly doubt it.

I think one of the things that always made IUP special was the Saturday night home games. Not many others play them. I don't know ... Saturday night just has a different vibe to it. It always felt like a bigger stage -- usually being the last game of the day.

So be it. Maybe this is just a one-year thing.

Side note, as expected it sounds like the KCAC will require masks. I haven't heard of any other Covid-related items -- spacing, etc.

Comment

• I imagine its about staffing.

For masks, the PASSHE recommended policy is masks indoors unless actively eating & drinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              I imagine its about staffing.

For masks, the PASSHE recommended policy is masks indoors unless actively eating & drinking.

Recommended policy differs from Required policy. Will they be able to enforce it?

Comment

Recommended policy differs from Required policy. Will they be able to enforce it?
                That's the state dept of health guideline. Yes, they'll be able to enforce it but I doubt they'll be walking the aisles asking people to adjust their masks or put them back on.

Comment

• IUP's exhibition at Illinois is nearly sold out. Prior to the game the Illini are doing their ring presentation and banner raise from last year's Big 10 title.

Illinois is ranked No. 11 in the AP Poll and a bit higher in others. This is a team with national title hopes and some NBA guys.

I'd say the goal is stay within 25-30 points. Try and come out hot as I'm sure they aren't expecting much.

Comment

It won't be good. I know Joe has a massive following compared to just about every other D2 (and some low-end D1) fan base(s) around, but I have no doubt the gate will take a hit over this move.
                    I've been to a ton of away games at 3 p.m. It's just not the same atmosphere. Tough to get students during the day.

They'll still get the biggest gates in the league (probably by far) ... but I don't see those 3,400+ gates like they had rolling in 2019 playing in the afternoon. You're starting to then compete with youth basketball, blah blah blah. So, you'll probably lose the casual families, etc.

Who knows, maybe it will be a hit. But, I highly doubt it.

I think one of the things that always made IUP special was the Saturday night home games. Not many others play them. I don't know ... Saturday night just has a different vibe to it. It always felt like a bigger stage -- usually being the last game of the day.

So be it. Maybe this is just a one-year thing.

Side note, as expected it sounds like the KCAC will require masks. I haven't heard of any other Covid-related items -- spacing, etc.
                    I liked the Saturday night too, and those nights when the students decided to show up were great atmospheres, But at this point its enough just to have a season, with a good team. I know Driscoll uses the BB games to grease alot of the bigger donors, wonder if 3 will be better, take them to a game, then Dinner, meet the Coach or players, sign the check, be home by 8

Comment

IUP's exhibition at Illinois is nearly sold out. Prior to the game the Illini are doing their ring presentation and banner raise from last year's Big 10 title.

Illinois is ranked No. 11 in the AP Poll and a bit higher in others. This is a team with national title hopes and some NBA guys.

I'd say the goal is stay within 25-30 points. Try and come out hot as I'm sure they aren't expecting much.
                      They gave Kentucky a run a few years ago! Willem was the best player on the floor that night.

Comment

They gave Kentucky a run a few years ago! Willem was the best player on the floor that night.
                        Willem could have been huge that year. I will leave it at that.

Comment

IUP's exhibition at Illinois is nearly sold out. Prior to the game the Illini are doing their ring presentation and banner raise from last year's Big 10 title.

Comment

• Illinois coach Brad Underwood on tonight's exhibition:

"There won't be much talent disparity," Underwood said. "That's why they are on the schedule. They've got real dudes, real size. I hope they come out and punch us. I can't wait to see how we react."

Nice comment, of course. IUP has some great players. Not many NBA guys, however.

Interested to see how Joe uses the bench tonight. Easy to assume Morris, Armoni, Shawndale, Ethan, Demo and Sulaiman play heavy minutes. But, curious the pecking order of players 7-9.

Word this morning is the game is sold out. That's quite the contrast from IUP's previous similar exhibitions. That arena gets crazy. I doubt it will be amped up like does when Michigan comes to town, but a great experience nonetheless.

Comment

• Wonder who will get the pleasure of guarding Illinois center (and soon-to-be NBA Lottery Pick) Kofi Cockburn (7'0, 285 lbs).

Comment

Wonder who will get the pleasure of guarding Illinois center (and soon-to-be NBA Lottery Pick) Kofi Cockburn (7'0, 285 lbs).
                                Checking Curbelo, Frazier, and some of their other folks won't be any walk in the park, either.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X