Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concord isn't a bad team. There was one stretch it seemed Joe was going to run them out of the building and go up 30+ but they ended up holding steady around the 20-22 margin. Both teams emptied the bench the final 3-4 minutes. IUP got off to a great start ... opened up on a 15-2 run. Concord never really got back in it. Concord did lose to a solid UPJ in OT the night before so I was expecting a tighter game. Joe gave Demo a light night. He only played 21 minutes. I think they wanted to rest him some once they got up big. Diop got nearly 20 mins. Diop creates some havoc. He's really quick for being 6'10".

May got T'd up again (as he did here in 2018). He's the most animated coach to come here since Kevin Reynolds. Much bigger test Tuesday with Le Moyne visiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

May got T'd up again (as he did here in 2018). He's the most animated coach to come here since Kevin Reynolds. Much bigger test Tuesday with Le Moyne visiting.
      May more animated than Sancomb (who visits IUP yearly)? Maybe you just have sensory adaptation to Sancomb because you see him so often. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

May more animated than Sancomb (who visits IUP yearly)? Maybe you just have sensory adaptation to Sancomb because you see him so often. LOL
        Honestly, Sancomb has never really acted up much here. I know he has that reputation. But he's never stood out.

He got a little hot two years ago when Cal was up 20 in the first half and ended up losing by 23. Not, nothing extraordinary.

May and KR are very similar.

Comment

• May was asking for a technical by mid-second half. Conversely thought that Joe was the most reserved I've ever seen him. Maybe it's the relaxed dress code. Armoni and Dave Morris are such smooth players. On the other hand, Shawndale (I don't know if I've ever seen him play in person) is like a bull in a china shop. He makes it work, obviously, and that's no slight to him. I was thinking during the game how much more talented across the board the rotation is from some of the years I was a student. No disrespect to Josh Weigand or even Drizz, but the last couple years with Cobo and now Tommy the team is super talented 1 through 5 where each guy is as much a threat to dunk as they are to drain a 3 off the dribble.

Saturday was my first time back to Indiana with school in session (I visited with some friends over the summer) during the pandemic. Where were the students? I'm not talking just at the KCAC and the non-existent student section. I went down Philly Street to pick up a sandwich and pizza from Subs n Suds and the whole downtown was dead at 9:45 p.m. on a Saturday. Normally the weekend before a holiday break isn't a popular time to go home but dang...it was empty. Maybe everyone was studying.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
            May was asking for a technical by mid-second half. Conversely thought that Joe was the most reserved I've ever seen him. Maybe it's the relaxed dress code. Armoni and Dave Morris are such smooth players. On the other hand, Shawndale (I don't know if I've ever seen him play in person) is like a bull in a china shop. He makes it work, obviously, and that's no slight to him. I was thinking during the game how much more talented across the board the rotation is from some of the years I was a student. No disrespect to Josh Weigand or even Drizz, but the last couple years with Cobo and now Tommy the team is super talented 1 through 5 where each guy is as much a threat to dunk as they are to drain a 3 off the dribble.

Saturday was my first time back to Indiana with school in session (I visited with some friends over the summer) during the pandemic. Where were the students? I'm not talking just at the KCAC and the non-existent student section. I went down Philly Street to pick up a sandwich and pizza from Subs n Suds and the whole downtown was dead at 9:45 p.m. on a Saturday. Normally the weekend before a holiday break isn't a popular time to go home but dang...it was empty. Maybe everyone was studying.

Neither gate was very good. Friday night had an announced 1,342 and Saturday had 1,192. Sure, compared to the rest of the conference, those are good numbers. At IUP, that is just about 25% capacity. There were (basically) no students at either game. I mentioned last week leading up to the game that I didn't think many people even knew their season was starting. Is the 'required mask' hurting ticket sales? Who knows. Probably about 10% inside actually wore them.

Historically, they tend to always get their biggest crowds in the second half of the season. But, goodness, just getting 300 students in there would make a big difference. The lack of video feed wasn't very popular, either. That's just terrible, actually.

Comment

May was asking for a technical by mid-second half. Conversely thought that Joe was the most reserved I've ever seen him. Maybe it's the relaxed dress code. Armoni and Dave Morris are such smooth players. On the other hand, Shawndale (I don't know if I've ever seen him play in person) is like a bull in a china shop. He makes it work, obviously, and that's no slight to him. I was thinking during the game how much more talented across the board the rotation is from some of the years I was a student. No disrespect to Josh Weigand or even Drizz, but the last couple years with Cobo and now Tommy the team is super talented 1 through 5 where each guy is as much a threat to dunk as they are to drain a 3 off the dribble.

You must have never seen the Webb teams when Joe first started at IUP. Those were some awesome teams!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

You must have never seen the Webb teams when Joe first started at IUP. Those were some awesome teams!

It was a good -- not great -- opening weekend. Which, of course, is typical. Joe wasn't real thrilled with all the turnovers. He talked about it in the newspaper article today. But, as you and I discussed, teams tend to get a little sloppy in blowouts. IUP played great in the first half of the Concord game ... got a little sloppy the final 20 minutes -- in particular, I thought they were giving up too many open looks from outside.

The thing that jumps out with this team is the post player depth. Tomiwa Sulaiman is a monster. He's huge, athletic, strong as hell, giant wing-span, fast. Rebounding machine. And, I was pleasantly surprised by Ousmane Diop. He probably got more minutes this weekend than he'll get in the bigger games, but he's a really nice piece off the bench in short spurts. I mentioned it the other day but he his really quick for his size. He can run with just about anybody on the court -- very rare for a 6'10" guy. He also has a knack for just being everywhere. His game is by no means polished, but he can wreck some havoc and is actually a decent shooter. He's quick enough, in fact, they were routinely bringing him out on defensive traps. That's a real big boy to have smothering a 6'0" guard.

It's been a long time since he's had (4) legit big men on the roster. They are going to be able to wear teams down under the basket.

Guard-wise, the starting three are elite. Radford and Polce obviously appear to be the next two off the bench. Radford gives them a long-range bomber. Polce is a strong defender.

Joe is letting the two true freshmen dress, but both times he's emptied the bench they weren't included. Certainly appears they are heading for the traditional redshirt season. K.J. Rhodes doesn't seem to be in the plans for this season. As of now, anyway. It seems Polce passed him.

Demo is looking better with each game. He seems to be getting fully confident in the knee recovery. He had a really big game Friday night. They got up big Saturday and it seemed Joe wanted to rest him so he didn't play much (21 mins).

Comment

It was a good -- not great -- opening weekend. Which, of course, is typical. Joe wasn't real thrilled with all the turnovers. He talked about it in the newspaper article today. But, as you and I discussed, teams tend to get a little sloppy in blowouts. IUP played great in the first half of the Concord game ... got a little sloppy the final 20 minutes -- in particular, I thought they were giving up too many open looks from outside.

The thing that jumps out with this team is the post player depth. Tomiwa Sulaiman is a monster. He's huge, athletic, strong as hell, giant wing-span, fast. Rebounding machine. And, I was pleasantly surprised by Ousmane Diop. He probably got more minutes this weekend than he'll get in the bigger games, but he's a really nice piece off the bench in short spurts. I mentioned it the other day but he his really quick for his size. He can run with just about anybody on the court -- very rare for a 6'10" guy. He also has a knack for just being everywhere. His game is by no means polished, but he can wreck some havoc and is actually a decent shooter. He's quick enough, in fact, they were routinely bringing him out on defensive traps. That's a real big boy to have smothering a 6'0" guard.

It's been a long time since he's had (4) legit big men on the roster. They are going to be able to wear teams down under the basket.

Guard-wise, the starting three are elite. Radford and Polce obviously appear to be the next two off the bench. Radford gives them a long-range bomber. Polce is a strong defender.

Joe is letting the two true freshmen dress, but both times he's emptied the bench they weren't included. Certainly appears they are heading for the traditional redshirt season. K.J. Rhodes doesn't seem to be in the plans for this season. As of now, anyway. It seems Polce passed him.

Demo is looking better with each game. He seems to be getting fully confident in the knee recovery. He had a really big game Friday night. They got up big Saturday and it seemed Joe wanted to rest him so he didn't play much (21 mins).
                  With not being able to see the games I couldn't do an analysis like this. I could only assume watching the stat tracker with substitutions. I'm guessing no video again tomorrow which sucks!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

With not being able to see the games I couldn't do an analysis like this. I could only assume watching the stat tracker with substitutions. I'm guessing no video again tomorrow which sucks!
                    The Clarion vs Frostburg game played at Millersville had video yesterday. Just throwing that out there.

Comment

• It should be a good test tonight against Le Moyne (1-0) -- a traditional power from the NE-10 Conference.

The Dolphins have some size on the roster but it doesn't appear many of those guys play much. They run a lot of 4 guards and 1 SF rotations. Le Moyne has some big, experienced and talented guards in the starting lineup -- 6'6", 6"4".

They like to play up-tempo and press. Despite scoring 97 points in their opener, Le Moyne only made two three-pointers (on just 11 attempts). So, they definitely want to turn this in to an up-and down tempo.

IUP's post players are going to cause a match-up problem. Playing four guards is going to create IUP some mismatches under the basket -- and away from the basket. Ethan Porterfield and Tommy Demogerontas are both strong three-point shooters. They will be difficult for smaller guards to cover on the perimeter.

IUP holds a 2-0 advantage in the series. The Crimson Hawks won at the KCAC in 2018 (60-48) and at Le Moyne in 2019 (82-78).

Look for IUP to get a win tonight, but they should get a nice challenge.

Comment

• Unbelievably, it appears there is yet again no video tonight.

Comment

• But...everyone can stop paying attention to work at 11 a.m. Wednesday and watch the women destroy Mount Aloysius during Education Day.

Comment

• Education Day ... which I guess is a possibility for the men's Slippery Rock home game and why it currently doesn't have a tipoff time.

Comment

But...everyone can stop paying attention to work at 11 a.m. Wednesday and watch the women destroy Mount Aloysius during Education Day.
                              That Education game is typically a wild crowd. Tom typically schedules the D3 tomato can for that event. I know the ladies love it because they get a really big crowd for it. All the elementary kids are fired up because, well, they aren't in school.

I hope Joe gets a big crowd tonight. Big game. Big opponent. You'd 'hope' they aren't competing much with the party scene on a Tuesday night. I saw they are giving out 400 tee-shirts to the first 400 students so hopefully that motivates some to walk down.

Comment

I saw they are giving out 400 tee-shirts to the first 400 students so hopefully that motivates some to walk down.
                                Saw that and said to myself, "what are they going to do with the 150 leftover shirts?"

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X