Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the SRU and GU games are now rescheduled for Jan. 31 (Monday) and then the following Monday. Both at the KCAC.

The way these PPD games are stacking up ... gonna be a frantic pace eventually to fit them all in. Hopefully.

Joe's on the road the rest of the week. Seton Hill tomorrow and Clarion on Saturday.

The Seton Hill trip typically gets a large IUP fan group as it's only about a 40 minute drive from Indiana.

Comment

• The yearly trip to Greensburg is tomorrow. Some bad things have happened on this short voyage in the past.

Feb. 24, 2016 - After throttling Seton Hill in Indiana earlier in the season, IUP went to Greensburg for the regular season finale needing to just win the game -- and likely secure an NCAA bid regardless of what happened in the upcoming conference tournament. Long story short, Seton Hill didn't get the memo. An 'announced' 275 (they are missing a digit) gathered for the most hostile crowd I've ever seen at an IUP road game -- including the 90s rivalry with California inside Hamer Hall. Every seat and spot to stand was filled -- and, that gym is cramped when it's 50 percent full. The officials lost control. The Seton Hill student section essentially stood on the baseline during foul shots. It was insanity. The game went back and forth all night. A late technical foul on Joe Lombardi pretty much sealed things up. Seton Hill won, 91-83. It is still the Griffins' only win against IUP. Now, keep in mind, this wasn't a pushover Seton Hill team. But, it was also a team IUP smacked by 18 points a month earlier.

Feb. 24, 2018 - Two years to the day, and, despite getting an ugly, 65-64, win, IUP took major losses in this road trip to end the regular season. Dante Lombardi was lost for the season with a broken wrist. Then, the technical foul heard round the (Indiana) world was called. Anthony Glover was assessed his second technical of the game -- from an official at least 50' away. He was then ejected and would be forced to miss Round 1 of the PSAC Tournament. Seton Hill was hit with (3) technical fouls but no ejections. Their season was long over and they gooned it up for the finale. This was the same Seton Hill team that had the brawl at West Chester earlier in the year. The Glover incident is still preached yearly. It's never the guy who starts it who gets the call. So, walk away.

Times have changed. A new staff is in charge now in Greensburg. You could say Joe closed the book on the hatred in his last visit ... hanging an 89-38 beating on the hosts. In fact, Seton Hill came to Indiana last Spring for a joint practice.

But, it's still is a big draw - regardless of what the box scores say. IUP takes a large crowd down there. It may be the tightest gym in the league -- and, that's saying something when you consider Mercyhurst and Lock Haven. Joe once said it was worse than Indiana High School's gym. They didn't like that comment very much.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. The Griffins have a terrible record but they've been in a lot of games. They are certainly better now than they were a month ago. Star 6'10" forward Marrek Paola is back from injury. He pairs up nicely with 7'0" forward Jimmy Moon. Drew Green (6'5") would start at guard for almost any team in the league.

But, here's the thing. They are going to win one of these close games at some point.

Consider their losses to some strong teams:

Notre Dame (OH) - 93-86
      @Shippensburg - 86-72
      Mercyhurst - 82-76
      Gannon - 63-53
      @Slippery Rock - 70-61

So, when healthy, they've played pretty tough with some top teams. They were blown out several times during Paola's long absence.

I'm sure Joe is preaching some history lessons. Some weird stuff happens down there. They better be ready.

Comment

• Was looking at the revised schedule ...

IUP (men) will play Slippery Rock twice in three days ... the first up there on Saturday, Feb. 5 and then in Indiana on Monday, Feb. 7.

That's going to be fun.

The way this is going with all the PPDs ... I envisioning the week before the conference tournament with like 6 games in 7 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Courtney Alexander is out today.

This may get ugly.
          The positive is more minutes for Kiera Baughman who I think has a huge upside. She shows flashes of being dominant and should continue to polish her game with the added experience. I think she has the biggest upside of any underclassman on the roster.

Comment

Was looking at the revised schedule ...

IUP (men) will play Slippery Rock twice in three days ... the first up there on Saturday, Feb. 5 and then in Indiana on Monday, Feb. 7.

That's going to be fun.

The way this is going with all the PPDs ... I envisioning the week before the conference tournament with like 6 games in 7 days.
            No way they play 6 of 7. That would be like suicide! IUP's depth would certainly be an issue at that point! hahahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

No way they play 6 of 7. That would be like suicide! IUP's depth would certainly be an issue at that point! hahahaha

Comment

• IUP up 35-7

5:26 left first half

Comment

IUP up 35-7

5:26 left first half
                  Wow. How many TDs does Morris have?

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Wow. How many TDs does Morris have?
                    47-17 half

Comment

• If IUP was full strength this would be 150-30

Comment

• 100-60

Final

Dillard was on fire

Comment

• IUP 100 Seton Hill 60

Thoughts:

1) I know think Joe doesn't yank Armoni b/c of national accolades. Armoni has aspirations of the next level but he better start shooting the 3 ball better.
                          2) I'm pretty sure Dillard belongs. WOW!
                          3) David and Ethan played pretty good in a shorter outings for them.
                          4) Sulaiman getting better on the offensive end.
                          5) Why doesn't Diop play more?
                          6) Joe said in the post game Tommy D's knee is why he didn't play tonight.

Comment

IUP 100 Seton Hill 60

Thoughts:

1) I know think Joe doesn't yank Armoni b/c of national accolades. Armoni has aspirations of the next level but he better start shooting the 3 ball better.
                            Wow. 18/34 from behind the arc despite Foster going 2/9.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Wow. 18/34 from behind the arc despite Foster going 2/9.
                              BB these days a lot of the time is living or dying with the three-pointer. When you make 18, you're obviously living high.

Comment

IUP 100 Seton Hill 60

Thoughts:

Demo was moving around fine ... no crutches or braces. Likely a day of rest / precautionary.

Not worth complaining anymore about Armoni playing with 2 minutes left and up 40. Don't like it but it isn't going to change.

Dillard had his breakout game. This should really help him going forward. 5-5 treys.

I thought Sulaiman had a great game. He's emerging and busting out of his shell. He's a load to handle.

Diop had a nice game. Wish he'd have played more.

The guy on the deep bench who, to me, looks decent is Enrique Cordon. He's big ... probably 6'5" and 215 lbs. I'm surprised he hasn't got more of a look. I think he could safely give them some spot minutes.

Radford's boot is off. Joe said he's on the way back ... maybe 2 more weeks. With Dillard emerging ... Bryce's minutes may be pretty sparse but it will be nice to get another bench option.

Porterfield entered tonight leading the PSAC in 3-pt % ... he hit 5 of 6 tonight. SH's bigs had no chance guarding him out there..

Joe wanted that crowd out of the game immediately. They all left at halftime.. Perfect start. They were swarming on defense. That starting lineup tonight (without Demo) is probably their best defensive lineup. Obviously Demo brings a lot on both ends.

This was SH ... but somehow that team had been playing everybody tough lately.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X