Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• IUP is a tremendously better defensive team today than it was in December. They weren't ready for that first game. They were still trying to figure out lineups post-Shawndale. Dallis and Polce were too green at that point. Tomiwa's role wasn't really known and he was a bit player at that point. I remember saying after that game it was like watching IUP have to play 4 against 5. IUP made so many unforced turnovers in that game it was sickening. They were still trying to play the up-and-down style they played with Shawndale -- all those crazy three-quarter court passes, etc. Demo had four turnovers alone trying to throw those home run passes in that game. Luckily, that's been cleaned up.

And, of course, Shippensburg played phenomenally. That didn't help. LOL.

The challenge is going to be playing a very quick lineup. Luke Nedrow is out, but they actually play much faster without him. With Nedrow they play more of a slower, half-court game. This current lineup can fly up and down. Ship's guards will keep Joe up late the next couple nights. They did a horrendous job on Biss in the first meeting. He lit them up. Carlos Carter also was a match-up nightmare and had a huge game.

How this game gets called will be a big factor. Ship isn't deep and its starting five has been playing near Iron Man basketball the last couple weeks. IUP has to get one of those starters in to foul trouble. The Raiders have a lot of guys who play much bigger than their listed size. Their 6'5" guys will go right at our bigger forwards. Oddly, they have been prone to some rough shooting. But, as we saw in December, they can really light it up, too.

One thing to watch is Dillard tweaked his ankle last night. I am hoping Polce returns Saturday. He seemed to be walking fine last night. But, if Dillard and Polce can't go ... that's a BIG problem. I think Dillard is OK as he looked to be 'walking it off' after the game.

Saturday also won't be like last night. Cal had about 7 fans in the building. Shippensburg travels well. They brought a big contingent here in the first game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP is a tremendously better defensive team today than it was in December. They weren't ready for that first game. They were still trying to figure out lineups post-Shawndale. Dallis and Polce were too green at that point. Tomiwa's role wasn't really known and he was a bit player at that point. I remember saying after that game it was like watching IUP have to play 4 against 5. IUP made so many unforced turnovers in that game it was sickening. They were still trying to play the up-and-down style they played with Shawndale -- all those crazy three-quarter court passes, etc. Demo had four turnovers alone trying to throw those home run passes in that game. Luckily, that's been cleaned up.

And, of course, Shippensburg played phenomenally. That didn't help. LOL.

The challenge is going to be playing a very quick lineup. Luke Nedrow is out, but they actually play much faster without him. With Nedrow they play more of a slower, half-court game. This current lineup can fly up and down. Ship's guards will keep Joe up late the next couple nights. They did a horrendous job on Biss in the first meeting. He lit them up. Carlos Carter also was a match-up nightmare and had a huge game.

How this game gets called will be a big factor. Ship isn't deep and its starting five has been playing near Iron Man basketball the last couple weeks. IUP has to get one of those starters in to foul trouble. The Raiders have a lot of guys who play much bigger than their listed size. Their 6'5" guys will go right at our bigger forwards. Oddly, they have been prone to some rough shooting. But, as we saw in December, they can really light it up, too.

One thing to watch is Dillard tweaked his ankle last night. I am hoping Polce returns Saturday. He seemed to be walking fine last night. But, if Dillard and Polce can't go ... that's a BIG problem. I think Dillard is OK as he looked to be 'walking it off' after the game.

Saturday also won't be like last night. Cal had about 7 fans in the building. Shippensburg travels well. They brought a big contingent here in the first game.
        Good analysis. Biss had found his rhythm the past couple of weeks and is playing some of his best ball of the season. I think that's lifted the other guys, and they've been shooting well enough to create problems if the other team decides to concentrate on Biss. The good shooting recently has made the Ship shooting slump that knocked them out of the Eastern Division lead and possibly out of the NCAA tourney all the more puzzling. Sometimes it's just a matter of confidence. They'll have to shoot well to have any shot to beat IUP's bigs and tough defense.

Comment

• Well, 2022 is still in its early stages, but the IUP postgame locker room video on Twitter was one of my highlights so far.

Hoping to see a couple more in the coming days/weeks.

Comment

Comment

• Interesting you bring that up.

The last two times these teams have played on Final Four weekend ... the visiting team won each game.

Shippensburg beat IUP in the KCAC, 90-87 (OT), back in 2016-17. That game was played in the semifinals but nearly everybody felt it was the final. The Raiders then cut down the nets the following day. Dustin Sleva destroyed IUP that day, going for 33 points and 13 rebounds. IUP was down 8 at the half before making a big run to close regulation tied. Ship won the OT, 12-9. Oddly, IUP had three players over 20 points in the game and still lost. I remember Devon Cottrell got in early foul trouble and only played like 15 minutes. They then had no answer for Sleva.

IUP returned the favor during the 2019-20 season, winning the title game at Shippensburg, 77-59. Shawndale went crazy, scoring 24 points. He was named PSAC Tournament MVP while being the teams 6th man. That is pretty remarkable. IUP was up 8 at the half and then pulled away in the second half. And, a couple days later everything was shut down due to Covid.

They are 2-2 in the past four meetings. It used to be an extremely lopsided series but it's about even since Fite took over.

p.s. I told IUPAlum the same thing ... if Dallis can dance like that ... he must not be too hurt.

Comment

• Ship has had a mostly successful, but odd season. Where they play doesn't seem to have much effect on them. They've won in front of big home crowds at Millersville and East Stroud, and beat Shepherd, usually a tough opponent for them, a lot worse at Shepherd than they did at home. Actually, most of their biggest wins this season (Virginia Union, UPJ, IUP, East Stroud (twice) and Millersville have come on the road. They'll be ready to play. IUP has been the best in the league over the season, but you never know what might happen in a single game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Ship has had a mostly successful, but odd season. Where they play doesn't seem to have much effect on them. They've won in front of big home crowds at Millersville and East Stroud, and beat Shepherd, usually a tough opponent for them, a lot worse at Shepherd than they did at home. Actually, most of their biggest wins this season (Virginia Union, UPJ, IUP, East Stroud (twice) and Millersville have come on the road. They'll be ready to play. IUP has been the best in the league over the season, but you never know what might happen in a single game.
                  Ship is an older team. This isn't their first rodeo.

Carlos Carter is also from Indiana. He'll again have a huge crowd here tomorrow.

The KCAC was a big boost against Cal. I don't see it playing nearly the factor tomorrow. I'd bet back in December Ship brought 200+ fans. When they all sit together they can be loud.

Heck of a doubleheader.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• This game is like deja vu from 2019-20.

Go back to that season. IUP lost Demo with an ACL ... then lost at Ship in December in one of then little-known true freshman Ethan Porterfield's first starts. IUP then figured things out, finished 28-2 and won the PSAC title over Shippensburg -- in the same building they lost in December.

Fast forward to this season. IUP lost Shawndale with an ACL in Game 7. Shippensburg then came here and won in December in one of Kyle Polce's first career starts. Dallis Dillard's eyes were the size of baseballs in that game. Tomiwa Sulaiman was just kind of that big dude on the bench. IUP then figured things out, and is currently 27-2. Win tomorrow and they complete the same sequence (well, almost, there would still be another game Sunday).

Goal for 2022-2023: No ACL injuries !

Joe has a shot at the rare three-peat. But, it sure won't be easy. I don't know that I agree with him that they are home dogs tomorrow. Sulaiman's emergence along with Nedrow's absence is a huge swing.

Comment

This game is like deja vu from 2019-20.

Go back to that season. IUP lost Demo with an ACL ... then lost at Ship in December in one of then little-known true freshman Ethan Porterfield's first starts. IUP then figured things out, finished 28-2 and won the PSAC title over Shippensburg -- in the same building they lost in December.

Fast forward to this season. IUP lost Shawndale with an ACL in Game 7. Shippensburg then came here and won in December in one of Kyle Polce's first career starts. Dallis Dillard's eyes were the size of baseballs in that game. Tomiwa Sulaiman was just kind of that big dude on the bench. IUP then figured things out, and is currently 27-2. Win tomorrow and they complete the same sequence (well, almost, there would still be another game Sunday).

Goal for 2022-2023: No ACL injuries !

Joe has a shot at the rare three-peat. But, it sure won't be easy. I don't know that I agree with him that they are home dogs tomorrow. Sulaiman's emergence along with Nedrow's absence is a huge swing.
                          IUP -5.5 is the line

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Line moved to IUP +2.5
                                over/under 139.5

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X