Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gritty win. FSU battled hard. They have some nice players.

I thought right when they got up 19 and FSU went on that 11-0 run that Joe called the dogs off. They did that last week, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Gritty win. FSU battled hard. They have some nice players.

I thought right when they got up 19 and FSU went on that 11-0 run that Joe called the dogs off. They did that last week, too.
      I think the only team FSU beats in this regional is Fairmont State. They were gritty, but not deep in material. The point guard had that stretch of three consecutive threes to make it interesting for a couple minutes, but they never really threatened to win.

Comment

• By the way, I really enjoyed listening to the IUP kids who did the 3 non-IUP games. As far as student announcers go, they did a very nice job. Hats off to those young men.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
          By the way, I really enjoyed listening to the IUP kids who did the 3 non-IUP games. As far as student announcers go, they did a very nice job. Hats off to those young men.

Comment

• Fayetteville State head coach Luke D'Alessio's comments after the game:

"It's a different level that we're not used to yet," he said. "Three years ago, we lost the CIAA championship by one point That experience helped us win the next time. But you can't get an experience like this until you play it."

"IUP is a tremendous program," he said. "They have a chance to win a national championship."

"The thing that makes them tough is they play both ends," D'Alessio said. "They're a tough defensive team, but then they have some great offensive sets and some great offensive players and they're well coached."

"We gave it everything we had. We made some mistakes and they'll make you pay for every mistake you make."

"It's been a great experience."

----------

"Our hats go off to Fayetteville," IUP coach Joe Lombardi said. "Tough team, competitive team: They wouldn't go away. Well-coached, they play with great purpose on both sides of the ball."

Comment

• '18-'19 team ... says payback time.

Let's not pretend IUP doesn't remember that night 3 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                '18-'19 team ... says payback time.

Let's not pretend IUP doesn't remember that night 3 years ago.

Comment

• The gate for IUP's game was 2,287. Good number for Spring Break.

Kind of a calm crowd, however. Hopefully they get a bigger, louder bunch tonight.

Not going to find a better doubleheader for $20.

Comment

• Comment

• IUP is playing about as good a matchup as I've seen anyone play at D2 level in quite a while. I doubt Fayetteville State had seen anything like it this season. Outside of one short spurt where they had a kid get hot and toss in three three-pointers in quick succession, they couldn't do much. I would worry as you do that if they have the offensive firepower to compete with top teams nationally if they get out of the region. That's where the loss of Jones might show. I've actually thought this is one of Lombardi's better coaching jobs. Although he still has superior talent compared to the rest of the PSAC, it's not as overwhelming (without Jones) as it has been at times in the past. It's scary to think of playing them next year if Jones comes back healthy, as they lose less than most of the other PSAC teams.

That said, they'll have a grind with Mercyhurst and its similar style of defense, and West Virginia State and Cal both have the athletes to win if IUP has an off night. Morris's excellent three-point shooting really keyed them against Fayetteville. They probably need Porterfield to hit as well. Few big guys at this level have the inside-outside game he does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

IUP is playing about as good a matchup as I've seen anyone play at D2 level in quite a while. I doubt Fayetteville State had seen anything like it this season. Outside of one short spurt where they had a kid get hot and toss in three three-pointers in quick succession, they couldn't do much. I would worry as you do that if they have the offensive firepower to compete with top teams nationally if they get out of the region. That's where the loss of Jones might show. I've actually thought this is one of Lombardi's better coaching jobs. Although he still has superior talent compared to the rest of the PSAC, it's not as overwhelming (without Jones) as it has been at times in the past. It's scary to think of playing them next year if Jones comes back healthy, as they lose less than most of the other PSAC teams.

That said, they'll have a grind with Mercyhurst and its similar style of defense, and West Virginia State and Cal both have the athletes to win if IUP has an off night. Morris's excellent three-point shooting really keyed them against Fayetteville. They probably need Porterfield to hit as well. Few big guys at this level have the inside-outside game he does.
                        Ethan will be needed tonight in this size mismatch!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Ethan will be needed tonight in this size mismatch!
                          Sulaiman also only got 2 points yesterday. Need more from him on the offensive end tonight.

Comment

• IUP is solid defensive team 1 thru 5 . The offense is spread out amongst 3 maybe 4 guys . They typically protect ball , lions share of 50-50 balls & good offensive rebounding group . IUP crushes Mercyhurst .

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship76 View Post
                              IUP is solid defensive team 1 thru 5 . The offense is spread out amongst 3 maybe 4 guys . They typically protect ball , lions share of 50-50 balls & good offensive rebounding group . IUP crushes Mercyhurst .
                              Over the last 5 years IUP is 10-2 vs 'HURST with an average winning margin of +6 and a max of +15 in 12 games. I don't see "CRUSH' in that history. Unless you define crush as +10

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X