Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

If they lose, it'll be because they shot bad.

In all seriousness, if I had to bet them or the field, I would take the field. Something tells me that team is tight. Get the feeling the undefeated record is wearing on them. Almost like they are playing to not lose rather than to win.
    Have you watched their recent games? I did not see tightness. I saw elite opponents with excellent game plans who were hitting incredibly difficult, contested shots. Nova was down 19 to union late in 1st half but nova just kept working to go on 9-0 run to cut deficit to 10 by half. Union was wvsu but much better,
    I agree odds are with the field, because nwmsu is in the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
      Northwest Missouri is the favorite until someone proves they can be beaten on this stage. I hope somebody does it.
      You all do know that their state finds their scholarships for sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You all do know that their state finds their scholarships for sports.

Comment

• Well, a 20-9 Emporia State team managed to take them down twice. If I were coaching against them, I'd find a copy of those games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Have you watched their recent games? I did not see tightness. I saw elite opponents with excellent game plans who were hitting incredibly difficult, contested shots. Nova was down 19 to union late in 1st half but nova just kept working to go on 9-0 run to cut deficit to 10 by half. Union was wvsu but much better,
            I agree odds are with the field, because nwmsu is in the field.

Comment

• You always want to get away from your conference mates in a tourney as they're the ones that have played you the most and have the best idea of what you're running. In the PSAC, where some of the coaches have been around for years, it's hard for them to pull surprises on each other. It was hard for the PSAC teams to avoid each other in this year's regional as they had four entries. Of course as a Ship fan I'll never forget a couple of years back when the Raiders opened the regional with surprisingly easy wins over West Liberty and Virginia State, then were knocked out in the regional final by East Stroud.

One thing I believe might help IUP is that they play a very disciplined matchup defense at a high level. They move well and don't leave a lot of holes. Getting away from PSAC foes might help their offense a little as well. For example, PSAC teams know you don't want to leave Porterfield open away from the basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

You always want to get away from your conference mates in a tourney as they're the ones that have played you the most and have the best idea of what you're running. In the PSAC, where some of the coaches have been around for years, it's hard for them to pull surprises on each other. It was hard for the PSAC teams to avoid each other in this year's regional as they had four entries. Of course as a Ship fan I'll never forget a couple of years back when the Raiders opened the regional with surprisingly easy wins over West Liberty and Virginia State, then were knocked out in the regional final by East Stroud.

One thing I believe might help IUP is that they play a very disciplined matchup defense at a high level. They move well and don't leave a lot of holes. Getting away from PSAC foes might help their offense a little as well. For example, PSAC teams know you don't want to leave Porterfield open away from the basket.
                Exactly. When the Regional Final Four is basically a re-do of the PSAC Tournament Final Four ... the games are just wars. No surprises.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I agree with you. Many schools have fully funded scholarships. Their great coach can also see talent. Hudgens' only offer was nwmsu. He said so when he turned down xfers to d1. Loyalty to coach. He redshirted 1st year to learn the culture and how to play. Like wlu, iup, and others, nwmsu prefers to mostly redshirt.

Comment

• Comment

• They are good where they are.

With the following the program has they have a pretty rare situation in D2. You go there on a Saturday night and it is a small D1 atmosphere.

Like Joe always says, he's set up to win here. He has tremendous community support ($), a top venue, admin support, etc.

He also has the luxury of some big corporate coin that others do not.

Comment

• Last (6) games -- three brutal PSAC Tournament games and three Regional games -- IUP has allowed 53.8 ppg.

That is incredible defense

To quote the great Terry Silver:

If a man can't breath, he can't fight.

Comment

• Comment

• I don't know. D2 is always modest interest. Its about as good as it gets for D2 Basketball here. It would be nice to get to the level of say Bucknell a few years back, or maybe Richmond this year. It would be nice to bring in some of the local big D1s for real games. The student interest would skyrocket. The PR would be very beneficial. The down side, if you can't maintain some success - regularly getting in the Big dance, you could lose the core support in a longer run. Any move would need a good plan, and there's no one at IUP that could carry such a thing off at the moment.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X