Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I don't know. D2 is always modest interest. Its about as good as it gets for D2 Basketball here. It would be nice to get to the level of say Bucknell a few years back, or maybe Richmond this year. It would be nice to bring in some of the local big D1s for real games. The student interest would skyrocket. The PR would be very beneficial. The down side, if you can't maintain some success - regularly getting in the Big dance, you could lose the core support in a longer run. Any move would need a good plan, and there's no one at IUP that could carry such a thing off at the moment.
    Consider, too, the 'big' D1 programs aren't likely to come here anyway. Even if IUP became a small D1 program, it's not like Pitt, WVU or Penn State is coming to Indiana for a real game. They play next to no road non-conference games, and, when they do, it is either a marquee game or one of those national-type tip-off tournaments.

I don't think Robert Morris or St. Francis would draw any better than California or Slippery Rock. If fact, they may draw worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Consider, too, the 'big' D1 programs aren't likely to come here anyway. Even if IUP became a small D1 program, it's not like Pitt, WVU or Penn State is coming to Indiana for a real game. They play next to no road non-conference games, and, when they do, it is either a marquee game or one of those national-type tip-off tournaments.

I don't think Robert Morris or St. Francis would draw any better than California or Slippery Rock. If fact, they may draw worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I don't know. D2 is always modest interest. Its about as good as it gets for D2 Basketball here. It would be nice to get to the level of say Bucknell a few years back, or maybe Richmond this year. It would be nice to bring in some of the local big D1s for real games. The student interest would skyrocket. The PR would be very beneficial. The down side, if you can't maintain some success - regularly getting in the Big dance, you could lose the core support in a longer run. Any move would need a good plan, and there's no one at IUP that could carry such a thing off at the moment.

Comment

• Basketball is the ONLY sport at IUP that could consider such a move. The infrastructure is there. Or, it's at least in the realm of possibility.

While the football program is strong, its facilities are a joke. Miller Stadium wouldn't even be a nice WPIAL Class 2A stadium. The other football-related amenities -- weight room, lockers, etc., ... are awful. You could get in the Hot Tub Time Machine, land in 1985 ... and still say they are awful.

Historically, most of the other sports have been treated like, well, basically a collection of red-headed step children. Although I will say the new AD seems to be putting much more attention toward them.

Basketball-wise, the immediate question would be where would they even go? The Northeast Conference would fight tooth and nail to keep them out. And, being honest, joining that league would be about as exciting as watching grass grow.

This topic comes up every time they play well in to March. The men's program is set up to win here year after year.

Comment

• Comment

• ??

BTW, give me Iron Mike Sharpe any day over the BB.

Comment

??

BTW, give me Iron Mike Sharpe any day over the BB.
                Barry Horowitz has entered the chat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Barry Horowitz has entered the chat.
                  Have you seen the 350 Days doc (on ROKU currently). It's not a bad show ... about the 350 days a year on the road for the pro wrestler (many 80s type guys).

Comment

• This totally went to the wrong chat! Lol

Comment

Have you seen the 350 Days doc (on ROKU currently). It's not a bad show ... about the 350 days a year on the road for the pro wrestler (many 80s type guys).

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

This totally went to the wrong chat! Lol
                          I can talk 80s WWF for days.

Comment

I can talk 80s WWF for days.
                            So can I buy the Attitude Era was definitely my fav!

Comment

Basketball is the ONLY sport at IUP that could consider such a move. The infrastructure is there. Or, it's at least in the realm of possibility.

While the football program is strong, its facilities are a joke. Miller Stadium wouldn't even be a nice WPIAL Class 2A stadium. The other football-related amenities -- weight room, lockers, etc., ... are awful. You could get in the Hot Tub Time Machine, land in 1985 ... and still say they are awful.

Historically, most of the other sports have been treated like, well, basically a collection of red-headed step children. Although I will say the new AD seems to be putting much more attention toward them.

Basketball-wise, the immediate question would be where would they even go? The Northeast Conference would fight tooth and nail to keep them out. And, being honest, joining that league would be about as exciting as watching grass grow.

This topic comes up every time they play well in to March. The men's program is set up to win here year after year.
                              True, Especially now with all the budget problems. I do think IUP playing the Saint Francis schedule for example, would gain alot more student interest. There is sort of a validation that for some reason comes with the DI label regardless of the quality of play - SFU doesn't look very good this year. They only get ~ 500 a game attendance at home, too. It s all just speculation though, and what we have is pretty good. A national Championship will mean alot to the university. But Nation's question was would you rather have a good IUP team playing a game or two in the big dance ? I think that would get more notice than the D2 National Championship. Remember the buzz when Robert Morris made the tournament.

Comment

Basketball is the ONLY sport at IUP that could consider such a move. The infrastructure is there. Or, it's at least in the realm of possibility.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X