Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imho key to winning games is to best your opponent in as many of the following areas as possible:
    • shooting %
    • Offensive rebounding
    • Turnovers forced
    • FTs both number and %
    For example, if you are having a horrific shooting night, you must dominate, not just win, in at least two of the other areas to have a chance of winning.

Although iup had better stats on forced turnovers and offensive rebounding, it was not a dominating difference.
    therefore it was not enough to overcome a 21% from three on 7-31. Assuming they were open looks and not d1 hero ball jacked up shots, that is much lower than average. Had they shot 40% Iup wins.

Comment

• Comment

• Last edited by Chuck Norris; 03-25-2022, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          I'm glad to see the irony of so many shooting percentage comments isn't lost on the IUP posters here. ; )

Comment

• IUP has really been a somewhat erratic offensive team every since Jones went down, but their team defense and determination enabled them to compile a great record anyway. They won a number of grinders in the PSAC with athleticism and clutch play. A good example was the two games with Ship, where they averaged only 55 ppg, but were able to win the second one in the PSAC semifiinals by limiting Ship to 44 points. The problem when you get to Elite Eight territory is sooner or later you're going to run into a team with an unusual stud or two such as Crawford. No way you're holding a club like that to 50-some points and if you have a bad shooting night you're toast. For much of the year, IUP was like the baseball pitcher who manages somehow to gut out a win even on the days he doesn't have his best stuff. From this opposing fan's standpoint, it was awesome to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              I think we eventually look back on this year as playing with house money. If things line up right, next year could be amazing. This year could have been perhaps but we'll never know.

I'll take it nonetheless. Final Four with all the crap they overcame .... fantastic.

That said, we have to survive portal season.
              Have there been some rumblings about the portal? Hard to believe most of the players on that team would want to leave unless they have D1 aspirations. With only one senior, IUP is poised to make a serious run next season, especially if Jones returns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                IUP has really been a somewhat erratic offensive team every since Jones went down, but their team defense and determination enabled them to compile a great record anyway. They won a number of grinders in the PSAC with athleticism and clutch play. A good example was the two games with Ship, where they averaged only 55 ppg, but were able to win the second one in the PSAC semifiinals by limiting Ship to 44 points. The problem when you get to Elite Eight territory is sooner or later you're going to run into a team with an unusual stud or two such as Crawford. No way you're holding a club like that to 50-some points and if you have a bad shooting night you're toast. For much of the year, IUP was like the baseball pitcher who manages somehow to gut out a win even on the days he doesn't have his best stuff. From this opposing fan's standpoint, it was awesome to watch.
                After Shawndale was lost, IUP played 8 guys -- 4 of which were freshmen. Think about that.

Polce, Dillard, Radford and Sulaiman were all freshmen this year.

I'd guess Joe will clean a little room and add probably one transfer. As of now he should be much better next year.

Comment

IUP has really been a somewhat erratic offensive team every since Jones went down, but their team defense and determination enabled them to compile a great record anyway. They won a number of grinders in the PSAC with athleticism and clutch play. A good example was the two games with Ship, where they averaged only 55 ppg, but were able to win the second one in the PSAC semifiinals by limiting Ship to 44 points. The problem when you get to Elite Eight territory is sooner or later you're going to run into a team with an unusual stud or two such as Crawford. No way you're holding a club like that to 50-some points and if you have a bad shooting night you're toast. For much of the year, IUP was like the baseball pitcher who manages somehow to gut out a win even on the days he doesn't have his best stuff. From this opposing fan's standpoint, it was awesome to watch.
                  They had a knack all year (starting in Game 8) for just finding ways. Granted, they still blew many people out along the way.

Lot to be proud of ... West title, PSAC title, Region Title, Final Four ... and, they did it minus a superstar. Not many programs could pull off what Joe just did.

4-0 vs Cal, 3-0 vs Mercyhurst

Keep in mind this was probably the best West in history this year.

Wonderful season. It was one of the most enjoyable in my 30-some years following the program.

Not only was Shawndale lost in Game 7, but they played 11 games without Demo and 10 without Radford (both out at same time).

Only one team wins the last game of the season. The Final Four this year was a massive accomplishment.

And, obviously, expectations next year will be sky-high.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They had a knack all year (starting in Game 8) for just finding ways. Granted, they still blew many people out along the way.

Lot to be proud of ... West title, PSAC title, Region Title, Final Four ... and, they did it minus a superstar. Not many programs could pull off what Joe just did.

4-0 vs Cal, 3-0 vs Mercyhurst

Keep in mind this was probably the best West in history this year.

Wonderful season. It was one of the most enjoyable in my 30-some years following the program.

Not only was Shawndale lost in Game 7, but they played 11 games without Demo and 10 without Radford (both out at same time).

Only one team wins the last game of the season. The Final Four this year was a massive accomplishment.

And, obviously, expectations next year will be sky-high.
                    There was a lot of talent in the PSAC this year and a lot of teams got bit by the injury bug. Gannon seemed to get hit especially hard in your division, but many other teams can recount tales of loss. I gotta think Ship wins 2-3 more games if not for the injuries to Biss and Nedrow. Them;s the breaks.

If Mulbah doesn't return to UPJ, it's hard to envision anyone challenging IUP next season as your principal opponents appear to be losing players to graduation or the portal. Unless they make up for their losses, you might be going from an extremely competitive division to one that's not so much next season. This is all providing, of course, IUP hangs on to their guys. If they do that and a healthy Jones returns, it'll take some sort of recruiting miracle for anyone else in the PSAC to give them trouble. I look for East Stroud and West Chester to be strong in the East, but West Chester has already lost a couple of decent players to the portal. They did, however, have several good young payers. The return of Pepin at East Stroud along with a couple of talented freshmen from this year should make the Warriors a contender. Ship could be pretty good or struggle somewhat, depending on how they're able to cover the loss of Biss and Hardy. The bottom of the East will probably stay there as Mansfield, Bloom, and Kutztown all seem to be losing players to transfer. Millersville will be hit pretty hard by graduation. Overall, I don't expect the PSAC to be as strong as it was this season. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Comment

• As a wlu fan, I also struggle to understand how nearly everyone on a great shooting team (like wlu and iup), can shoot so poorly on a given night. Whoever figures this out and narrows the standard deviation is going to make some $.

I heard ncaa brought out a new Wilson ball for the tournament and that some teams thought it affected their shooting. Has anyone heard this from iup? If so, I suspect ncaa got big $ from Wilson, but they should have waited until start of next season.

Comment

• Comment

• Restraint? The team held him back! F outta here with that! Dude threw himself to the ground and got hurt on his own accord. His pride was hurt!

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

As a wlu fan, I also struggle to understand how nearly everyone on a great shooting team (like wlu and iup), can shoot so poorly on a given night. Whoever figures this out and narrows the standard deviation is going to make some $.

I heard ncaa brought out a new Wilson ball for the tournament and that some teams thought it affected their shooting. Has anyone heard this from iup? If so, I suspect ncaa got big $ from Wilson, but they should have waited until start of next season.
                              If you find out how to solve the shooting thing, relay it to us at Ship. Amidst what was generally a good season, there were several clunkers this year. In a two-game stretch that probably doomed the team's NCAA chances, Ship hit 4-of-33 three-point shots in an overtime loss to Lock Haven (average for the year was 33 percent three-point shooting) and followed that up with a one-point loss to West Chester in which they made only 11 of 23 free throws. Head-scratching stuff.

I actually do think there's a little something to the notion that good (or bad) shooting can be contagious, especially in the era of the three-point shot. If your main gunner gets going early, it gives him a shot of confidence and often results in more open looks for the rest of the team. I know when Jake Biss got off to a hot start for Ship this season, the rest of the team generally followed. When your best shooters aren't hitting, sometimes the fallback options feel they have to pick up the slack and start gunning. If they miss a couple as well, anxiety starts setting and you see the ball flying all over the place. That isn't always true, of course. Sometimes one guy gets hot and the rest of the team hits nothing. But I've seen it happen enough times to convince me there's something to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Restraint? The team held him back! F outta here with that! Dude threw himself to the ground and got hurt on his own accord. His pride was hurt!
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SUGY4XvFxDs

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X