Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armoni is gone. Like it or not. I'm thankful those who stayed are still here. Teams would have been salivating over Porterfield and Sulaiman.

As for 22-23, I'm more worried about guard depth on June 15.

Comment

• Well said. Jake Biss just became the third Ship player in recent years to sign a contact with a European pro team. The odds of any player from the PSAC making an NBA roster are very slim. All it takes is a look at the percentage of college players who end up in the NBA to realize that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well said. Jake Biss just became the third Ship player in recent years to sign a contact with a European pro team. The odds of any player from the PSAC making an NBA roster are very slim. All it takes is a look at the percentage of college players who end up in the NBA to realize that.
        Many different levels over there, too. The better leagues pay quite well. The lower ones are like Siberia. Sleva is up in a high level league.

Guards have it tough to get those spots.

Comment

• He should still be helping bring a title to IUP. I only care about IUP.

Comment

• Apologies if this has been posted in some other thread, but Jack Benedict is in the process of publishing a memoir on his 60 years in broadcasting. Write up in the The Daily Courier of Connellsville.

https://www.dailycourier.com/article...orts-memories/

Comment

• IUP has been very blessed to have Jack and also Bill Otto.

I'm glad Bill still does the P.A. announcing for football. I was sad when he stepped down from basketball. Every time they break 30 points in football I still say to myself "It's a hot dog night in Indiana."

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                IUP has been very blessed to have Jack and also Bill Otto.

I'm glad Bill still does the P.A. announcing for football. I was sad when he stepped down from basketball. Every time they break 30 points in football I still say to myself "It's a hot dog night in Indiana."
                It's not a hot dog night anymore over 30?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

It's not a hot dog night anymore over 30?
                  No. That ended years ago. I don't think anybody gave two cents about the hot dog. It was just the excitement level to hear the announcement.

Comment

No. That ended years ago. I don't think anybody gave two cents about the hot dog. It was just the excitement level to hear the announcement.
                    Or did Sheetz not want to sponsor it anymore?

Comment

Or did Sheetz not want to sponsor it anymore?
                      That's certainly a possibility.

Comment

• Some MEN'S schedule news:

IUP will play (2) neutral court games -- at Clarion -- on Nov. 12 and Nov. 13.

IUP will play Concord on Nov. 12 and Winston-Salem State on Nov. 13.

Those should both be de facto home games for IUP as the Hawk Nation typically travels pretty well up there (about 70 minutes from Indiana).

That said, it's odd IUP is going on the road for an early-season doubleheader.

Comment

Some MEN'S schedule news:

IUP will play (2) neutral court games -- at Clarion -- on Nov. 12 and Nov. 13.

IUP will play Concord on Nov. 12 and Winston-Salem State on Nov. 13.

Those should both be de facto home games for IUP as the Hawk Nation typically travels pretty well up there (about 70 minutes from Indiana).

That said, it's odd IUP is going on the road for an early-season doubleheader.
                          So I'm assuming this is in place of the early season IUP classic or is this in place of the Thanksgiving weekend Classic which was blown up last year by that dump of a school Salem!

Comment

So I'm assuming this is in place of the early season IUP classic or is this in place of the Thanksgiving weekend Classic which was blown up last year by that dump of a school Salem!

Well, upon further investigation, IUP Football is home on Nov. 12. They will either host Bloomsburg or host the PSAC title game. Perhaps that played in to the decision to go on the road this year.

The snowball effect is UPJ has opened its season at IUP for years and years. Curious to see what they now have lined up.

Joe typically plays (1) road non-conference game. Being these are 'neutral' ... not sure if he'll play one on the road or not.

Comment

Well, upon further investigation, IUP Football is home on Nov. 12. They will either host Bloomsburg or host the PSAC title game. Perhaps that played in to the decision to go on the road this year.

The snowball effect is UPJ has opened its season at IUP for years and years. Curious to see what they now have lined up.

Joe typically plays (1) road non-conference game. Being these are 'neutral' ... not sure if he'll play one on the road or not.

Comment

Armoni is gone. Like it or not. I'm thankful those who stayed are still here. Teams would have been salivating over Porterfield and Sulaiman.

As for 22-23, I'm more worried about guard depth on June 15.
                                This isn't the first time I've said what I'm about to say, but I'll say it once more...

The only thing that rings in the back of my mind with Armoni Foster transferring up is that this opens the door and makes it "normal" now at IUP. I'm certainly not bitter towards Armoni at all. He stayed during a canceled season when he clearly never had to do so. He invested 5 years to the program. He took his team to a Final Four; and maybe would have done that in 2020 as well.

It's certainly a different age and era of college sports, and Joe's culture has managed to evade the avalanche of this for a very, very, very long time when other regional programs (i.e. West Liberty) haven't. I think this was always inevitable, but we may have crossed the threshold because of Armoni opening the door. I wouldn't have ever thought about Porterfield or Sulaiman possibly moving on, this summer or next, had Foster not transferred up. Joe's managed to navigate this tremendously, but the proverbial genie is now out of the bottle inside of his own program. Now players will think about it, when I don't think they would have thought about it all before. Joe's program, culture, and the success achieved annually, has always been enough to keep players healthy. And I'm not even talking about NIL, but that said, I'm not sure an NIL deal with 9th Street Deli in the Indiana Gazette is enough to keep Ethan Porterfield in Indiana.

The unique piece of the portal as it relates to D1 basketball is that it both directly and indirectly impacts the sport on the D2 level. There aren't a lot of scholarships on a basketball team, and because D1 programs overhaul their entire team annually with recycled players via the portal, there are less scholarships for the players who are D1 caliber coming out of high school to land on a D1 team. So those guys wind up at D2 programs; not because they want to be there or should be there, but because they have no other options. So as D2 fans, we see an immediate return with the players who are brought into the program, but those guys are bolting at the first opportunity they get. And Joe's model has never been to get a hired gun for a year who he knows is transferring out in 1-2 seasons.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X