Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

This women's team has a lot of potential!

Comment

Originally posted by iupalum View Post
      this women's team has a lot of potential!
      very impressive !!!

Comment

The Pitt message boards are a riot ... they make the IUP football faithful seem calm.

IUP beat the Pitt women and Slippery Rock gave the men all they could handle for 38.5 minutes.

My guess is that was Tom's swan song at The Pete. He's never being invited back again.

Comment

Edinboro women's basketball beat division 1 st bonaventure over the weekend. Psac women's basketball looks pretty strong.

Comment

I attended the IUP - Pitt women's game. Tom played quite a few ladies, I'm not sure of the minutes breakdown. He kept the same nucleus for much of it and slowed the game down on offense when his squad needed to catch their breath. I liked his coaching.

IUP just out hustled Pitt. IUP did so many little things well both on offense and defense. If IUP plays that same way every game they win the National Title. Which may be the only concern, hopefully they won't peak too early.

In fairness to Pitt their best senior didn't play along with 2 other girls who I didn't recognize but did not warmup either. Then their 2 best active players were in foul trouble most of the game. But they were in foul trouble based on IUP playing aggressive and taking the game to them. Great win for IUP.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              WOMEN'S FINAL

IUP 73
              Pitt 68
              Holy. Crap. Meanwhile, in the Mon Valley, there might as well be a state of panic because, exhibition or not, IUP might be the best women's team in the PSAC West this season...
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                The Pitt message boards are a riot ... they make the IUP football faithful seem calm.

IUP beat the Pitt women and Slippery Rock gave the men all they could handle for 38.5 minutes.

My guess is that was Tom's swan song at The Pete. He's never being invited back again.
                That's certainly going to make for an awkward Holiday dinner at the McConnell household...
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                  Holy. Crap. Meanwhile, in the Mon Valley, there might as well be a state of panic because, exhibition or not, IUP might be the best women's team in the PSAC West this season...
                  They may well be the best, but I have yet to see JESS STROM coached team panic. It is much more common that their opponents whether PSAC, ATLANTIC REGION or NATIONAL lose it when they meet. Time will tell.

Comment

The Pitt men's team wouldn't win the D2 title this year. In fact they are very lucky their exhibition was against SRU or they would have also lost against a top tier D2 team. Ferris State or Findlay would have beat Pitt by 10 points.

The Pitt women are in for a long, long season. Foul trouble is basketball. That's their fault not ours.

As for Tom playing a deep bench ... what a concept! It would be nice is that philosophy was shared down the hall. Joe wouldn't be 0-2. The men don't lose often but they've been losing against the elite teams now and the past two years. The theme is the same. Always a big man short off the bench. Just saying .... Keyes sat the first two games. Not the end of the world. Change the decision and get him in there. If not I firmly believe it will be another year of 'oh so close' losses to elite teams to match a fancy regular season record.

Cobo is an offensive forward. Blake cannot guard the Dustin Sleva's of the world as we saw multiple times last year and already this year. Willem is TBA. He was much better Saturday than Friday although he was in foul trouble very quickly.

It's early ... but I can't help but notice this team is going to have the same issues as last year against elite big men and with interior defense.

There are more on the way to town Saturday night. It's weird to say this is a huge weekend ... but it's a big one. This is the downside of going out there and starting 0-2. Could IUP still host ... maybe but I doubt it. Ship and WJ, etc., are only going to lose a couple games ... max.

This is a good team. They are just a post defender short from being 1-1. And, we've seen this movie before. A couple times.
                    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-07-2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Some IUP news from today's Gazette:

* Dante had surgery Monday to repair the torn meniscus in his right knee. Per Joe he is 'questionable' for this weekend. The article later stated it's more likely he'll sit this weekend and return next weekend

* Armoni Foster is out for the season with a shoulder injury. It stated the plan was to burn his redshirt while Dante healed but now that's not an option.

* Cobo returned to practice

* Joe said they may add a mid-season transfer guard to replace Foster. Said Joe: "He's (Armoni) out four months, so we might look at the waiver wire. I'd like to bring in another guard and there's a few avenues we can explore."

Not sure the season could have started off much worse. One way to go, I suppose.

Comment

Can't they get by with Malik, Glover, Vaughns and Hutton? I'm guessing it's because Glover is the only PG? I'm a little confused with this roster if they only had 2 guys that can run the point.

Comment

Vaughns is playing small forward ... at least last weekend he did.

It's going to be a real short bench this weekend.

I think Malik should have been starting in a 3 guard set anyway. His upside is huge and he plays with fire. I like Blake and Hutton better off the bench.

It will be a different offense without Dante. I'm curious to see it play out. They have to sweep this weekend. I'd think Miller could run the point in a pinch (like now).

They are going to see an ultra athletic, fast team Saturday night.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-08-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

To my knowledge Milo Luciano and Greg Bearer are still both enrolled at IUP. I don't really know what else you find this time of the year. Most available players are available for a reason -- academics, talent level, etc.

Not a good omen ... that's for sure.

Comment

Just a reminder IUP is home tonight and tomorrow. I've heard they haven't sold many tickets. Not a big surprise considering many are headed to West Chester tomorrow (or today) and two local teams have playoff games tonight.

The women open up tomorrow at 3 p.m. in the Field House.

Comment

Wheeling 34 Gannon 27 at half

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X