• 53 Days until the opener at Clarion.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      53 Days until the opener at Clarion.
      Love it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Love it!!!
        Jackie Moon may coach the women's team. He also plays Power Forward. He once traded a used washing machine for a backup PG.

Comment

Jackie Moon may coach the women's team. He also plays Power Forward. He once traded a used washing machine for a backup PG.
          Lol… the lack of a girls coach is just an outright joke! This should be done by now union or not!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Lol… the lack of a girls coach is just an outright joke! This should be done by now union or not!
            I have heard that there is surprisingly little interest in the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The timing was horrendous on so many fronts.

Comment

If that is the case, I'd point to some key factors:

* Tom's retirement had terrible timing for the program. His last 'official' day was in mid-August. The hiring process takes forever in the PASSHE. Assuming IUP is targeting a currently-employed head coach, ... not all want to leave their current team high and dry in late September.

* At best, that can be the No. 3 program on campus. It will always play second fiddle to the men's program and football.

* There is no time for a new coach to add any transfers as the semester is well underway. The cupboard isn't bare, but it's far from the way Tom found it several years ago.

The surprising part:

* I'd guess that the job pays pretty well for D2 -- and would be a significant pay raise for many sitting PSAC women's head coaches. Indiana is also a very nice small town compared to many.

* Once you're here, the resources and amenities are all in place.

* The administration cares about winning -- especially in the 'revenue' sports.

Opening Night is 52 days away. The exhibitions are even closer. This could be a very long year for the program.

Comment

If that is the case, I'd point to some key factors:

* Tom's retirement had terrible timing for the program. His last 'official' day was in mid-August. The hiring process takes forever in the PASSHE. Assuming IUP is targeting a currently-employed head coach, ... not all want to leave their current team high and dry in late September.

* At best, that can be the No. 3 program on campus. It will always play second fiddle to the men's program and football.

* There is no time for a new coach to add any transfers as the semester is well underway. The cupboard isn't bare, but it's far from the way Tom found it several years ago.

The surprising part:

* I'd guess that the job pays pretty well for D2 -- and would be a significant pay raise for many sitting PSAC women's head coaches. Indiana is also a very nice small town compared to many.

* Once you're here, the resources and amenities are all in place.

* The administration cares about winning -- especially in the 'revenue' sports.

Opening Night is 52 days away. The exhibitions are even closer. This could be a very long year for the program.
                  Yeah there are certainly just as many challenges as there are selling points. One thing I've heard from many people is that Indiana is a great town to live in but isn't conveniently located for someone already established or unwilling to relocate from somewhere else. Those drives from Greensburg or Johnstown aren't an easy 50 miles up 79 like it is from suburban Pittsburgh to Slippery Rock. One person I assumed would be interested referenced that very thing - they could figure out a way to make metro Pittsburgh work but not Indiana.

Comment

One person I assumed would be interested referenced that very thing - they could figure out a way to make metro Pittsburgh work but not Indiana.
                    You're right –– if Pittsburgh is the size of Slippery Rock. But it's not. It all depends on where in Pittsburgh you're coming from.

I'm sure you know your geography, but North Hills to Slippery Rock is quick and easy while Monroeville to Slippery Rock is not (~$50 a week in turnpike tolls).

Just like North Hills to Indiana is not quick or easy, but Monroeville to Indiana is (22/119).
                    http://www.indianagazette.com
                    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

You're right –– if Pittsburgh is the size of Slippery Rock. But it's not. It all depends on where in Pittsburgh you're coming from.

I'm sure you know your geography, but North Hills to Slippery Rock is quick and easy while Monroeville to Slippery Rock is not (~$50 a week in turnpike tolls).

Just like North Hills to Indiana is not quick or easy, but Monroeville to Indiana is (22/119).
                      I do the North Hills to Slippery Rock drive every weekday! 1 mile to 279 and up to 79 then 5 easy miles to campus. My point was that not everyone is comfortable driving an hour on older two-lane roads over the river and through the woods to Indiana they go, especially on those dark winter nights after a weeknight game. 22 is just fine until it gets more rural around Delmont. You're right about 119 but that's the easy part - it cuts off that hill on 22 right after the interchange. That hill can be almost as treacherous as 22 at Ebensburg. Plum is a little more desirable but you've still got 286, which is even hillier and windier.

Comment

I do the North Hills to Slippery Rock drive every weekday! 1 mile to 279 and up to 79 then 5 easy miles to campus. My point was that not everyone is comfortable driving an hour on older two-lane roads over the river and through the woods to Indiana they go, especially on those dark winter nights after a weeknight game. 22 is just fine until it gets more rural around Delmont. You're right about 119 but that's the easy part - it cuts off that hill on 22 right after the interchange. That hill can be almost as treacherous as 22 at Ebensburg. Plum is a little more desirable but you've still got 286, which is even hillier and windier.
                        It's all what part of Pittsburgh. I usually take 422 to 28. It's terrible in the winter. And, well, 28 is terrible 365 days a year -- for a large variety of reasons. Now, that's at rush hour (a.m. and p.m.). In non-rush hour times, that drive is long but simple (non-winter). You don't really get traffic until the RIDC stretch (normal conditions ... not this summer). In the winter the stretch from Elderton to Kittanning isn't real fun -- 12 miles up and down the whole way with coal trucks doing 65 mph in blizzards. I've had more white knuckle commutes than I can count over the years.
                        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 09-21-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Why an interim coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
                            Why an interim coach?
                            I'd guess, as FS82 eluded, due to the timing they probably got very limited applicants. Tom couldn't have left at a worse time.

I read they will re-open the position after the season.

Who knows. Perhaps the interim coach will do well and they will keep him.

Comment

I'd guess, as FS82 eluded, due to the timing they probably got very limited applicants. Tom couldn't have left at a worse time.

I read they will re-open the position after the season.

Who knows. Perhaps the interim coach will do well and they will keep him.
                              It just looks like he had no where to go after his dad retired, and he was the best available, but not what IUP wanted.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X