Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lack of depth is killing IUP right now.

Comment

• Joe down 5. Cuse got hot.

Comment

• Cuse size wearing IUP out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          Cuse size wearing IUP out.
          They rotate monsters.

Comment

• Ran outta steam underneath.

Comment

• Joe is pissed. Seems like they gave up.

Comment

• After tonight, I don't think they redshirt Bethea. He's ready to play at the D2 level. That will give them a 5 guard rotation.

Dillard and Diop would have made a big difference tonight. They wouldn't have won, but it would have made a big difference down the stretch. They ran out of steam. Depth killed them.

Comment

• Cuse 86
                  IUP 68

Final

Good first night.

Comment

• Great start to the year!

1) Bethea looks ready.
                    2) Tomiwa wore out but he’s a monster.
                    3) KJ? Why?
                    4) Dallis and Diop were needed. Bench was to thin.
                    5) What is Brooks role?
                    6) Jones looks rusty but is to be expected.
                    7) Other than forcing a few shots, David looked good.
                    8) Ethan got his tail whipped by Edwards. Lol He’s huge!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      Great start to the year!

1) Bethea looks ready.
                      2) Tomiwa wore out but he’s a monster.
                      3) KJ? Why?
                      4) Dallis and Diop were needed. Bench was to thin.
                      5) What is Brooks role?
                      6) Jones looks rusty but is to be expected.
                      7) Other than forcing a few shots, David looked good.
                      8) Ethan got his tail whipped by Edwards. Lol He’s huge!

Well, the game was very refreshing to watch -- in particular after the news coming out of the football program yesterday.

I'd guess what we saw from KJ last night will be his role all year ... i.e. whatever spot they are short. He played 18 minutes (likely a career high). I'd have to think Ousmane Diop would have got the bulk of those minutes had he been available (if he could last that long without fouling out). Obviously playing KJ (a 6'4" utility player) in the low post against a gigantic ACC lineup ... wasn't going to end well.

Brooks playing just 5 minutes was disappointing. He had one of the nicest low-post moves of the night on his lone basket. It must be the "break him in slow" approach.

Porterfield started the game 0-9 from the field and then finished the game hitting his next 7 of 8.

Morris had a huge stat line: 21 points, 5 boards, 10 assists, 2 steals and just 1 TO. Not a huge fan of him playing 39 minutes in the first exhibition game. But, that's the trickle down effect of having some not available.

I was a bit surprised Jaylen Stewart wasn't even dressed. Unless he's injured, it sure seems like he'll be taking a redshirt. He's a big guard who logged a lot of PSAC minutes last year at Seton Hill. I knew he wouldn't start this year but figured he'd play (some). But, Joe has a very decorated history of making transfers redshirt a year and learn the IUP way of doing things. I assumed he'd be perfect in taking some of the load off of Shawndale.

I thought Kyle Polce looked great last night. He took a massive (inadvertent) shot from one of Syracuse's 7-footers. He plays really strong defense and was flustering some '4 star' guards last night. He also looked more confident on the offensive end. He should figure to be an elite "6th Man" this year (despite having to start last night).

Bethea logged 23 minutes in his debut. He looked like he belonged albeit likely being a bit timid and nervous in the early going. Joe hasn't had a "5th guard" in the rotation in forever. He will keep getting better and more comfortable with each game. I suspect he'll log about 10-12 minutes in the first half of the season.

IUP was nasty on the boards. Very aggressive. Syracuse won the glass, 39-38, despite having a massive size advantage.

I didn't care at all about Shawndale's stat line last night. It was just great to see him moving so well. He didn't look timid at all -- which is very rare coming off an ACL. His timing, etc., will return quickly. His shooting improved as the game went along.

That was only their 9th 'practice' of the year. D2 couldn't open camp until Oct. 15.

I'd guess the rotation come Nov. 12 will be:

Shawndale
                      Morris
                      Dillard
                      Tomiwa
                      Ethan

Polce
                      Bethea

Diop/Brooks

KJ plays the super utility role when needed.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-26-2022, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, the game was very refreshing to watch -- in particular after the news coming out of the football program yesterday.

I'd guess what we saw from KJ last night will be his role all year ... i.e. whatever spot they are short. He played 18 minutes (likely a career high). I'd have to think Ousmane Diop would have got the bulk of those minutes had he been available (if he could last that long without fouling out). Obviously playing KJ (a 6'4" utility player) in the low post against a gigantic ACC lineup ... wasn't going to end well.

Brooks playing just 5 minutes was disappointing. He had one of the nicest low-post moves of the night on his lone basket. It must be the "break him in slow" approach.

Porterfield started the game 0-9 from the field and then finished the game hitting his next 7 of 8.

Morris had a huge stat line: 21 points, 5 boards, 10 assists, 2 steals and just 1 TO. Not a huge fan of him playing 39 minutes in the first exhibition game. But, that's the trickle down effect of having some not available.

I was a bit surprised Jaylen Stewart wasn't even dressed. Unless he's injured, it sure seems like he'll be taking a redshirt. He's a big guard who logged a lot of PSAC minutes last year at Seton Hill. I knew he wouldn't start this year but figured he'd play (some). But, Joe has a very decorated history of making transfers redshirt a year and learn the IUP way of doing things. I assumed he'd be perfect in taking some of the load off of Shawndale.

I thought Kyle Polce looked great last night. He took a massive (inadvertent) shot from one of Syracuse's 7-footers. He plays really strong defense and was flustering some '4 star' guards last night. He also looked more confident on the offensive end. He should figure to be an elite "6th Man" this year (despite having to start last night).

Bethea logged 23 minutes in his debut. He looked like he belonged albeit likely being a bit timid and nervous in the early going. Joe hasn't had a "5th guard" in the rotation in forever. He will keep getting better and more comfortable with each game. I suspect he'll log about 10-12 minutes in the first half of the season.

IUP was nasty on the boards. Very aggressive. Syracuse won the glass, 39-38, despite having a massive size advantage.

I didn't care at all about Shawndale's stat line last night. It was just great to see him moving so well. He didn't look timid at all -- which is very rare coming off an ACL. His timing, etc., will return quickly. His shooting improved as the game went along.

That was only their 9th 'practice' of the year. D2 couldn't open camp until Oct. 15.

I'd guess the rotation come Nov. 12 will be:

Shawndale
                        Morris
                        Dillard
                        Tomiwa
                        Ethan

Polce
                        Bethea

Diop/Brooks

KJ plays the super utility role when needed.
                        Probably about right.

Comment

• My kid said Dave Morris had a buzzer-beater that was featured on SportsCenter this morning. I didn't see it, but if so, that's a nice little shout-out for IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                            My kid said Dave Morris had a buzzer-beater that was featured on SportsCenter this morning. I didn't see it, but if so, that's a nice little shout-out for IUP.
                            Half court buzzer beater going into halftime.

Comment

• IUP's game Sunday at Miami will be broadcast again on ESPN+.

The Hurricanes were picked 4th in the ACC and feature a preseason, first-team All-ACC guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                IUP's game Sunday at Miami will be broadcast again on ESPN+.

The Hurricanes were picked 4th in the ACC and feature a preseason, first-team All-ACC guard.
                                This team is more athletic than Cuse. Miami could put up a number on IUP especially if they lack Dallis and Diop again.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X